Neil Blomkamp's Alien

AndyBaelish

District 9 was scripted by Blomkamp's wife. Elysium was not (she had her own projects going, but those don't seem to have gone anywhere). He brought her back to script for Chappie. I'm thinking she probably had a lot to do with why District 9 is so much better than Elysium. She's also writing this new Alien movie.

Here's "Yellow", a short they did. It seem like it's pretty much their prototype for Chappie.

I walked out of JA. Easily one of the worst movies ive been to in theatres, ever. The notion that its on any level with Elysium is laughable.

Like Raja says, Elysium is broken on many levels. JA is too, but it embraces its own sillyness which means it functions on a 'woohoo!' level that Elysium, being so dry and preachy, doesn't.

Anyways.

I'm curious about what they could actually do with this film. Bringing back Ripley and Hicks is the best move they could make. But what then? They can't go back to the days of horror. The original worked because no one really knew what the hell was going on. Moving on as they did in the second one was brilliant, and honestly, every action flick of the last 2 decades has learned.....fuck....almost three decades.....has learned from its template. But what to do. I think scaling back on the action would be seen as a negative, but I'm not sure they would want to bring in the marines again. At least not as they did. (If they did they need to find that perfect medium of getting us to give a shit about the marines. Too many movies have this score of bad assess that fall like chumps and are forgettable.)

Thoughts on where you would like to see this go? It looks like Weyland-Yutani has one of the engineer ships if I remember the art pieces, so I could see it going something along those lines.

But I'm fucking stoked to see Hicks in an Aliens movie again. The way they treated the character, and Biehn, was an abortion in the third movie. There are simply not enough movies with Biehn.

Anyways.

I'm curious about what they could actually do with this film. Bringing back Ripley and Hicks is the best move they could make. But what then? They can't go back to the days of horror. The original worked because no one really knew what the hell was going on. Moving on as they did in the second one was brilliant, and honestly, every action flick of the last 2 decades has learned.....fuck....almost three decades.....has learned from its template. But what to do. I think scaling back on the action would be seen as a negative, but I'm not sure they would want to bring in the marines again. At least not as they did. (If they did they need to find that perfect medium of getting us to give a shit about the marines. Too many movies have this score of bad assess that fall like chumps and are forgettable.)

Thoughts on where you would like to see this go? It looks like Weyland-Yutani has one of the engineer ships if I remember the art pieces, so I could see it going something along those lines.

But I'm fucking stoked to see Hicks in an Aliens movie again. The way they treated the character, and Biehn, was an abortion in the third movie. There are simply not enough movies with Biehn.

They should go the Marvel route and try to make each film a different genre. If they're going to invade HQ of Weyland-Yutani, make it a heist film. Use that opportunity to create some new characters to fill out the team that pulls off the heist. All while dodging xenomorphs. Give Hicks a great death.

• 4 weeks later...

I have faith in this - for me the problems with Elysium and Chappie were mostly from a writing standpoint the films all look pretty and have some good shots in them. So as long as he has a good writer and doesn't feel the need to try and make an overt political point then it should be good

HICKS WILL BE BACK?!? *excited scream* omgomgomgomg. Hicks and newts fate are the main reasons for my absolute contempt for the 3rd movie.

You're missing out on an actual interesting film that was, sadly, plagued by some serious production woes. But that aside, Alien 3 is an ambitious film that ultimately didn't quite succeed at what it wanted to do, and hating on it because of Hicks/Newt's fate is a shame.

I'm starting to think Blomkamp needs a writer to keep him on an even keel. He's got some amazing direction and decent writing, but doesn't quite get things right when he's doing everything.

e: I really liked CHAPPiE, for what its worth. D9 was even better, and I haven't had the chance to see Elysium yet.

Archived