Star Wars Episode 7 How do you rate it? (NO SPOILERS)

Howdyphillip

I give Force Awakens a 2/10 because it's a blatant ripoff of Eragon.

:P

Ok, fine. THAT aside, my rating of the 7 movies is pretty much aligned with most of the people here.

V

VII / IV being very close (I need to see VII again to move it up or down)

VI

III

I

II

7/10 at most.  I'm not prepared to go higher until this trilogy is complete. 

I'm not certain I can rank it higher than the original trilogy until this one is complete.  The more I contemplate what I saw,  the more JJ flaws I keep seeing. 

V

IV

VI/VII

I

II

III

V: Empire 10/10

VII: TFA 9/10

IV: ANH 8.5/10 -- Love it until the death star fight, which is boring on repeat viewings

VI: RotJ 8/10 - serious wtf stuff, like the whole jabba's palace plan and the muppet show. throne room is aces.

III: RotS 5/10 - the only prequel that actually has some tension running throughout. 

II: AotC 2/10 - marginally better than TPM because less Jar Jar.

I: TPM 1/10 - absolute garbage. Slow, boring, stiff, stupid. The final duel is incredibly overrated.

I only rate the original theatrical releases and not the shitty cgi happy special editions. That scene you are referring to is terrible and foreshadows many of the problems with the prequels.

I only rate the original theatrical releases and not the shitty cgi happy special editions. That scene you are referring to is terrible and foreshadows many of the problems with the prequels.

Oh, I agree. When I showed the OT to my five year old, I used the despecialized versions. When RotJ's soundtrack is playing, (often when it's play set tea time) she can automatically pick up when Jedi Rocks plays and moves to skip it; it just sounds off from the rest of the soundtrack.

That said, the ewoks are a bit muppety as well, so the criticism extends. And as much as I love pieces of Han's escape, the plan itself is ridiculously ill conceived, designed just to get our heroes to a set piece rather than some actual strategy. I guess that's why VII's "flaws" don't really feel that much in the way of flaws; all these movies have used narrative shortcuts to get them where they need to go. Difference is that the OT (and VII) are actually entertaining, whereas the PT are just plodding and poorly written.

Oh, I agree. When I showed the OT to my five year old, I used the despecialized versions. When RotJ's soundtrack is playing, (often when it's play set tea time) she can automatically pick up when Jedi Rocks plays and moves to skip it; it just sounds off from the rest of the soundtrack.

That said, the ewoks are a bit muppety as well, so the criticism extends. And as much as I love pieces of Han's escape, the plan itself is ridiculously ill conceived, designed just to get our heroes to a set piece rather than some actual strategy. I guess that's why VII's "flaws" don't really feel that much in the way of flaws; all these movies have used narrative shortcuts to get them where they need to go. Difference is that the OT (and VII) are actually entertaining, whereas the PT are just plodding and poorly written.

:) Well played

How are people actually able to compare the prequels, and why is AOTC considered worse than the others? To me it's all just the same muddy, garbled soup.

I found it really hard to rank them as I mentioned in my post. But AotC stands out for me for a few reasons, including the boring attempts at politics, the god awful Anakin/Padme "love story" (this is probably the biggest reason for me) the stupid lightsaber duel at the end (probably the worst of the Prequels) and Hayden Christensen (whose performance was marginally better in RotS, even if only slightly)

How are people actually able to compare the prequels, and why is AOTC considered worse than the others? To me it's all just the same muddy, garbled soup.

The dialogue in 'Clones' is so horribly putrid that I know I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable trying to watch it. Anakin and Padme's scenes play out like something from 'To Catch a Predator' shot in the efficiency style of a soap opera. The entire plot makes no goddamn sense, and every Jedi council member is turned out to be a fucking fool. Add the Yoda fight which ruins his whole character, and you've got yourself one of the worst films ever made.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, objectively 'Phantom Menace' is probably the best of the 3 prequels if you boil out Jar Jar. Without him it's just a really shitty syfy film in which the problems are structural, rather than conceptional.

So far, after 19 people have weighed in, the number is a 7.94 or rounded up to 8-10. 

I personally think this is a little low as the movie has a 92% audience rating and a 94% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, but we are not the general public here. It seems we hold our fantasy to a higher scrutiny. 

I will keep tallying.

The dialogue in 'Clones' is so horribly putrid that I know I'm not the only one who gets uncomfortable trying to watch it. Anakin and Padme's scenes play out like something from 'To Catch a Predator' shot in the efficiency style of a soap opera. The entire plot makes no goddamn sense, and every Jedi council member is turned out to be a fucking fool. Add the Yoda fight which ruins his whole character, and you've got yourself one of the worst films ever made.

I've said this before and I'll say it again, objectively 'Phantom Menace' is probably the best of the 3 prequels if you boil out Jar Jar. Without him it's just a really shitty syfy film in which the problems are structural, rather than conceptional.

I think a lot of the dialog in the third one is equally as awful, but III also suffers from trying to cram four movies worth of material into 2 hours.  And that's ultimately why I'd have to rank it lower than II...

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope

3) Revenge of the Sith
4) Return of the Jedi
5) The Force Awakens

6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace

The first two are on my top 10 list of movies. The next three are 8/10 or so, while the first two prequels are a bit shit.

No idea why people put RotS in the same line as the other two prequels.

1) The Empire Strikes Back
2) A New Hope

3) Revenge of the Sith
4) Return of the Jedi
5) The Force Awakens

6) Attack of the Clones
7) The Phantom Menace

The first two are on my top 10 list of movies. The next three are 8/10 or so, while the first two prequels are a bit shit.

No idea why people put RotS in the same line as the other two prequels.

Padme and Anakin's acting.

"Anakin, you are breaking my heart"

"If you're not with me, you're my enemy"

And on another writing-based note not related to the previous two people, wonderful lines such as these

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes", said by a Jedi, proving that not only Sith deal in absolutes

And on another writing-based note not related to the previous two people, wonderful lines such as these

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes", said by a Jedi, proving that not only Sith deal in absolutes

You can cherry pick cringeworthy lines from most of the movies, to be fair.

I mean, you can give stick to universally acclaimed movies based on scenes, if you want. Like here: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXHOYQ5uOxE Or you know, Luke's robes being wet and clean seconds after he gets away from garbage.

Anakin's acting was fine in RotS, but because of Attack of the Clones when he was genuinely pathetic, people put both of the movies in the same line. It is like the Matrix sequels, when Reloaded (a downgrade form the original movie, but still a good movie) gets put in the same category as Revolution who is shit.

Anyway, it must be a new phenomenon it getting so much stick. It had very favorable reviews in release (78% in Rotten Tomatoes, for example).

I find most of the opening section painful as well, on Grievous' ship.

Plus, a scene that's supposed to be a big confrontation (Palpatine vs Windu and three other Jedi Masters), doesn't so much make Palpatine look powerful as it makes the three Jedi Masters (who IIRC are all Jedi Council members) look pathetic.

Oh, I disagree. TPM is so, so boring to watch. It was a trial when I went through the PT with my daughter. At least RotS has some marginally entertaining action sequences and design, and the cinematography/staging isn't quite as bland/flat as TPM and AotC.

The final duel really spells out the problems of TPM. There are individual moments that are actually exciting, but 1) the Darth Maul actor is so clearly superior in terms of martial art ability that the fight seems ridiculously overmatched from the get-go (though Ewan does sort of shine at the end, before getting force-punched)--coupled with the obvious fact that they're really trying to hit their swords together rather than actually kill one another (something I did not feel in TFA, which was raw and rough and felt far more realistic); 2) It's intercut with three other sequences: a total crap CGI nonsense of a battle, Anakin's adventures in outer space, and the Amidala subplot, and the constant cutting kills the tension; 3) it relies on stock gimmicks to separate the characters and sell its drama a la Qui-Gon's death; 4) Maul stands there and gets cut in half like a total idiot (a 'significant pause' that is repeated to eye-rolling affect when Anikan's arm gets cut off in AotC); huge parts of it feel fake and overly choreographed. 

And that's probably the best sequence in the movie, in no small part because there is no dialogue. 

Archived