Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Muggle

8 minutes ago, Howdyphillip said:

I am almost positive that Samuel L Jackson and Christopher Lee did not do any work in the animated series. Any time there roles were on, I checked, and it was an actor who sounded like them. The guy that did Obi Wan in Clone Wars fooled me at first also.

They voiced their characters in the animated Clone Wars movie, not the regular episodes. (Though they planned on releasing the movie as four episodes at first).

7 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I have seen people throw around that the female character in this movie could be Rey's mom... but isn't it more likely that she's Poe's mom?  Don't we already know that both his parents fought in the rebellion?

Poe's mom has already been identified by name in the comic Shattered Empire. Very minor spoilers about her:

Spoiler

Her name is Shara Bey. She doesn't look like Felicity Jones and I doubt they'd use an existing character as the lead. We'll know for sure when they announce Jones' character's name.

14 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I have seen people throw around that the female character in this movie could be Rey's mom... but isn't it more likely that she's Poe's mom?  Don't we already know that both his parents fought in the rebellion?

The film didn't establish any mystery about Poe's parents, though, while the question of why Rey was abandoned on Jakku pretty much demands an answer. Her mum is unlikely to be showing up in person in Episode 8, so featuring her in a film set earlier in the timeline would add some extra weight to any subsequent reveal of her fate. Using Poe's mum would basically just be an easter egg, unless they have plans to do things with his family relationships in future films (and considering he wasn't meant to survive the Tie crash at the start, that seems unlikely).

• 2 weeks later...

So, some rather expected, but nevertheless neat stuff if this rumor/leak is correct. Minor spoilers, I guess:

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/a-classic-villain-will-have-some-action-in-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story/

The more, the better, I say.

Re: Lando in Ep VIII, I say enough with OT cameos. Let's see some fresh characters and/or let already introduced new characters do more stuff. And during the events of Rogue One he should have been uneventfully  managing the Cloud City. It didn't seem in ESB that he nad  taken over recently, instead he look well-established and known/respected.

This link has some strong rumours for Rogue One:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-character-plot-rumors-darth-vader/

Quoting the relevant bity

The film will feature stormtroopers that wear all-black armor called Death Troopers, seemingly taking a cue from the Shadow Troopers of the now defunct Star Wars Legends series.
There’s a new droid character that works with the Rebels, and he’s a “scene stealer”
One of the main characters is named “Cashen,” but it’s unknown which actor is playing him/her
A new TIE Fighter design and AT-ATs will be shown in Rogue One
Darth Vader is in the movie, and he has a “larger role than originally thought”

The report elaborates that the new droid was originally an Imperial robot that gets reprogrammed to aid the Rebels. As for his appearance, he has long arms, two legs, and is dark grey or black in color. The character is described as being a change-of-pace from the normal protocol droid design fans are familiar with (C-3PO). JoBlo is speculating that this could be Alan Tudyk’s motion-capture role, but there’s nothing to confirm or deny that so far. It’s a logical guess, since it sounds like the technology would be necessary to bring this particular character to life

Really liking these scoops a great deal. More Vader, new Tie fighters and especially AT-AT's, I would love to see those, and that new droid character sounds very good, especially with the design that is very different from BB-8.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

This link has some strong rumours for Rogue One:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-character-plot-rumors-darth-vader/

Quoting the relevant bity

Really liking these scoops a great deal. More Vader, new Tie fighters and especially AT-AT's, I would love to see those, and that new droid character sounds very good, especially with the design that is very different from BB-8.

Could the new droid be a cinematic take on an HK model?  BB-8 was also a "scene stealer," but it'd be interesting to see a different kind of scene stealer.

The rumors about Vader here and in the article Maia linked are interesting.  I'd like to see Vader as an absolute force of nature.  It would provide some background as to why he's so feared.

That was one thing that always pulled me out of the experience in the prequel trilogy.  When Anakin was dangling from a flying taxi cab and jumping from car to car, I tried to picture him in the Vader suit doing it and it just didn't seem right.  To see him out there standing in the midst of a battlefield like a boss and owning the place would be much more in line with my visions of Vader.

Also, for anyone who never saw it... This Vader model by Square Enix has always put a different image of the fearsome Sith lord in my head as well.

FIG-KAI-8662.jpg

14 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I always assumed Anakin lost a lot of mobility when he lost his limbs and had to wear the Vader suit. So less crazy acrobatics, more raw dark side power. 

This.

Vader on the battlefield should be a terror to behold. Not from Yoda-like flipping, but the raw power he brings.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Show us.

24 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

This.

Vader on the battlefield should be a terror to behold. Not from Yoda-like flipping, but the raw power he brings.

"The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

Show us.

Exactly.  I'd like to see him just wade out there in the middle of a fray and stand there while shots fall harmlessly around him and he seemingly calmly mows down anyone in his path.

More evidence of him being the best star pilot in the galaxy would be nice too.

1 minute ago, Myrddin said:

I'm sure it's non canon, but a promo for one of the Force Unleashed games had Vader's apprentice pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit and crashed it at his feet.

Most likely.

I don't see how you could do that in practice and not have the Jedi/Sith be entirely overpowered.  For all their Hidden Jedi/Crouching Sith acrobatics in the PT, Obi Wan was still presented a reasonable challenge by Jango Fett and thousands of Jedi were caught off guard and killed by their companion clone troopers.

One apprentice taking out a capitol ship would be a tad imbalanced methinks.  

8 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Most likely.

I don't see how you could do that in practice and not have the Jedi/Sith be entirely overpowered.  For all their Hidden Jedi/Crouching Sith acrobatics in the PT, Obi Wan was still presented a reasonable challenge by Jango Fett and thousands of Jedi were caught off guard and killed by their companion clone troopers.

One apprentice taking out a capitol ship would be a tad imbalanced methinks.  

At the same time, if they can't do things like that, then I don't see how the ability to destroy a planet could possibly be insignificant. 

Unless the true power of the force is narrative causality.

50 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

I'm sure it's non canon, but a promo for one of the Force Unleashed games had Vader's apprentice pull a Star Destroyer out of orbit and crashed it at his feet.

That's not justa promo, that's something you actually have to do in the game. Via annoying and repetitive quick time event.

You also start the first game out playing as Vader, with the game essentially in god mode. You can calmly pick and choose how to murder anyone who crosses your path.

Of course whatever canonicity those games had was wiped away with the Disney takeover. That's mostly a good thing in this case.

52 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Don't remind me of that betrayal. It was worthy only of a Sith. They build that moment up so much, and the actual scene was such a let down. - Hold buttons to pull ship - break off and destroy TIEs before the ship recovers too much - Hold buttons to pull ship - rinse and repeat.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Exactly.  I'd like to see him just wade out there in the middle of a fray and stand there while shots fall harmlessly around him and he seemingly calmly mows down anyone in his path.

Man this forum is buggy sometimes, sorry about those last couple of posts. For some reason I couldn't post text outside the quote bubble and ... ah who cares, what was my point again?

Oh yeah, I don't want to see Vader among the plebs on a battlefield, he's above that. He's far cooler if he sends in his minions to do the dirty work and then comes in to show the surviving commanding officer who's boss. Taking out regular forces should be way beneath him.

Also, battles where one combatant is effectively untouchable are dramatically inert. Nice moneyshots maybe, but dull storytelling. Without stakes there is no drama, so invincible characters are boring.

Just now, Davrum said:

Man this forum is buggy sometimes, sorry about those last couple of posts. For some reason I couldn't post text outside the quote bubble and ... ah who cares, what was my point again?

Oh yeah, I don't want to see Vader among the plebs on a battlefield, he's above that. He's far cooler if he sends in his minions to do the dirty work and then comes in to show the surviving commanding officer who's boss. Taking out regular forces should be way beneath him.

Also, battles where one combatant is effectively untouchable are dramatically inert. Nice moneyshots maybe, but dull storytelling. Without stakes there is no drama, so invincible characters are boring.

I think it depends how they're handled. It can work for bad guys when the point is to show the inexorable advance of the bad guy. The drama comes from the fact that the protagonists have no option but to run. It wouldn't really work on a large scale though, it has to be fairly intimate, like Vader's entrance to Echo Base.

1 minute ago, Davrum said:

Yes, but he still has part of Anakin's personality. He does like to do things on his own sometimes, like in the trench run when he keeps shooting down the rebel fighters. 

2 hours ago, Myrddin said:

This.

Show us.

2 hours ago, Rhom said:

Couldn't agree more. This is the absolute best time to show us Vader fucking unleashed. 

Archived