Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Muggle

2 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I've got a more personal connection to this than TFA since I know the principal editor. So I hope this movie is good, or at least that the editing is impressive.

Address please, so we can get the pitchforks ready just in case ;)

1 minute ago, Howdyphillip said:

I missed it live by minutes... What is up with it not being shown on the hour?

Thought it was odd timing as well.  I'm sure it will be on YouTube in seconds though.

"I thought this was a rebellion..."

"What will you become?"

The clip of the Death Star being assembled looked awesome...and made me remember how lame I think "Starkiller Base" is.  :(

The shot of someone in black kneeling with Imperial Guards in the back...I don't think that's Vader...looks like a hood rather than his helmet.

The officer in white - is that supposed to be Tarkin?

2 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

The officer in white - is that supposed to be Tarkin?

No, but it's definitely a high ranking Imperial. White uniforms used to be the uniforms of Imperial Grand Admirals in the old canon, so I wonder if that is still the case.

It looks good and it seems to have captured the look and feel of the first movies. I hope there's not any force stuff in it though.

And it's fun to see Mon Mothma again.

Everything about that trailer was awesome.  AT-ATs on the beach.  The gritty feel of everything.  Mon Mothma.  And especially the MUSIC! 

December can't get here fast enough.

Trailer looks great.

Something about it feels a little odd though, IMO. Not bad or anything, but for some reason it just doesn't quite feel like Star Wars; whereas the trailers for Ep. VII immediately felt like the old movies. I'm not complaining, with the plans to have a Star Wars movie every year from here on out I think its good that they are trying out different things. I'm just a little surprised I guess that that would happen as soon as the second new movie.

It felt grittier than I expected I think. Like, if you took that dialog and layered it on to footage for the next Bourne movie instead, it would basically fit (if Bourne was a woman). 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

Trailer looks great.

Something about it feels a little odd though, IMO. Not bad or anything, but for some reason it just doesn't quite feel like Star Wars; whereas the trailers for Ep. VII immediately felt like the old movies. I'm not complaining, with the plans to have a Star Wars movie every year from here on out I think its good that they are trying out different things. I'm just a little surprised I guess that that would happen as soon as the second new movie.

It felt grittier than I expected I think. Like, if you took that dialog and layered it on to footage for the next Bourne movie instead, it would basically fit (if Bourne was a woman). 

I kind of like that it was grittier, I can see how these off shoot movies could work now. Great trailer. Some really beautiful shots.

My analysis.

I'm pretty sure that's Genevive O'Reilly as Mon Mothma. She played the role in the deleted scenes from Revenge of the Sith, so it's cool to see her back.

Also, nice use of the ImpStar One rather than the ImpStar Deuces from the later movies. That's real attention to detail.

Yes, that's an Imperial Grand Admiral using the insignia system they set out in the original movies and the uniform style they established in the EU (which is no longer canon, but they appear to have gone with it anyway).

That's deliberate. This is the first Star Wars film not to focus on the Jedi/Force or the Skywalker family, so Kathleen Kennedy said that freed them up to move away from the traditional Star Wars aesthetics and do things like editing, framing shots, atmosphere differently (especially as Episode VIII will switch back to doing those things a year later). The intent here was to do a war movie in the Star Wars universe with a different, more in-your-face feel. That's also why they got Edwards. In fact, I gather they got Edwards more for his Monsters style than for Godzilla (that merely proved that he could handle a production this big).

Also, some idiots are screaming "SJW crap" about the female lead and minorities and taking over. It's worth noting at this point that we have 7 movies made, 2 more main episodes confirmed, 2 spin-offs confirmed and a further 3 (Fett, Yoda, Obi-Wan) in early development. So that's 14 movies in the franchise, 10 of which have a male lead (6 characters) and 4 have a female (2 characters), and absolutely no lead character of colour (unless you count Yoda being green). Not exactly the sky falling yet.

Archived