Rogue One: 2 Rebellious 2 Fail

Mr. Chatywin et al.

44 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

All of those Marvel movies are different in terms of base genre they're emulating,  but they all have a similar tone. You know you're watching a Marvel movie. 

And that is also one of the reasons that *most* of those Marvel films do nothing for me. Having a similar tone in your movies isn't always a good thing.

Either ways, I'm more than happy to wait and see what R1 ends up being, I loved the teaser trailer, but this obsession with 'making the film lighter/ darker' is a bit odd. A good movie is a good movie, it's all about execution, in my opinion. 

Its difficult to know what the actual reasons for the reshoots are, if they are in fact to make the movie lighter then I will be annoyed as the trailers looked quite awesome.

However it could well be that the quality of the movie is not up to scratch, which is what I heard in the original reports. Considering that I thought Godzilla was a pretty flawed movie its just as likely that the movie wasn't really working and needed fixing. 

15 minutes ago, Raja said:

And that is also one of the reasons that *most* of those Marvel films do nothing for me. Having a similar tone in your movies isn't always a good thing.

Either ways, I'm more than happy to wait and see what R1 ends up being, I loved the teaser trailer, but this obsession with 'making the film lighter/ darker' is a bit odd. A good movie is a good movie, it's all about execution, in my opinion. 

Guess we can just disagree then.  Because the underlying tone of the Marvel movies, to me, is the recipe for so much of their success.  Even film has its own ideas of what it wants to be (some more successfully than the others, true), but the underlying tone holds them all together.

Honestly, don't much care. If the re-shoots make the movie better, than I'm glad they did it. Being able to look at a first cut of the film and have the time/money to go back and re-shoot certain scenes is a blessing. Don't think this needs to be a bad thing.

it's odd how reshoots are automatically treated as a bad thing. Surely it would be worse if they didn't bother fixing it? It's getting to the point where it's probably better for a movie to leave the issue where it is than risk the negative buzz of fixing it.

It could be that a certain character is more awesome than they realised on screen and they've decided to add more?

At least Disney conspiracy theorists can take solace that their films can receive bad press. Although maybe if a marvel film had reshoots it would be along the lines of "Marvel decides to give additional awesomeness and reshoots" ???

22 minutes ago, red snow said:

it's odd how reshoots are automatically treated as a bad thing. Surely it would be worse if they didn't bother fixing it? It's getting to the point where it's probably better for a movie to leave the issue where it is than risk the negative buzz of fixing it.

It could be that a certain character is more awesome than they realised on screen and they've decided to add more?

At least Disney conspiracy theorists can take solace that their films can receive bad press. Although maybe if a marvel film had reshoots it would be along the lines of "Marvel decides to give additional awesomeness and reshoots" ???

As a matter of course, all marvel superhero flicks do extensive reshoots. It is mandatory when you are working with so much green screen. Changing the tone of the movie is much bigger news than they are going to shoot more footage. Again I say that Disney has more than earned my trust. 

At this point, my annual budget if firmly set at seeing at least four Disney movies a year, and some of them twice. Two Marvel flicks, a Star Wars film, and a least one animation. They can just shut up and take my money.

I finally saw the trailer this weekend(XMen) and I was jacked to see the movie after the trailer, then I see this crap about changing things already. Just seems odd, hopefully they don't just add someone saying "bullshit" out of no where hoping for a cheap laugh.

I think they've got something of a point in reshoots. While I want it to be different than the trilogies, I suspect that no one wants it to be too different. It needs to be a Star Wars movie. If you tell people it's Rogue One, a Star Wars movie, and they bring their kids and the kids see this movie that is a deep, harrowing tale about the horrors of war - I don't think that's going to work. 

Force Awakens earned a lot of cred for me. Reshoots happened heavily on TFA too - including changing the entire dynamic of Finn and Rey so that instead of antagonists they were allies and friends. It isn't a sign of a problem; it's a sign that smart people who want it to work saw it and thought it didn't work as well as it could. 

I'm a little nervous, but am willing to withhold judgment until the movie is out. Disney, and specifically the folks now in charge at LucasFilms, have a lot of cred with me after TFA, so if they think the movie needs work, I'm okay with that for now. And reshoots absolutely can dramatically improve a movie, most famously probably World War Z, which rewrote and reshot its entire 3rd act.

Couple of points I saw on twitter about this were: 1) The industry is seriously spooked after Batman vs Superman, and that's likely to be heavily influencing balking at a dark tone, 2) As Kal said, TFA had a bunch of reshooting, and a lot of the fleshing out of Poe came from these, heavily taking in Isaac's input as well.

Fuckloads of films do reshoots. I don't  know why we're suddenly panicking at every instance of it happening. You usually never hear about them unless the film looked like it was going to tank anyway. Special circumstances caused the Suicide Squad reshoots to come to light and now it seems we're going to get 'OH NO! RESHOOTS!' every fucking time an anticipated film does it too.

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Guess we can just disagree then.  Because the underlying tone of the Marvel movies, to me, is the recipe for so much of their success.  Even film has its own ideas of what it wants to be (some more successfully than the others, true), but the underlying tone holds them all together.

Yeah, I think it's perfectly okay if the Marvel movies do it for you. You're certainly in the majority when it comes to that & the movies have been an unparalleled success. For example, I don't think tone is the issue in BvS ( and you might disagree, and that's fine), the issue is that Snyder couldn't tell a coherent story and the movie has some very odd ideas in it. 

16 minutes ago, karaddin said:

a lot of the fleshing out of Poe came from these, heavily taking in Isaac's input as well.

They must have edited that out then because Poe is *easily* the least fleshed out character in that movie. Don't get me wrong, I love Poe and I hope we see more of him, but the first cut must have been awful if they did reshoots and came out with the Poe we see in TFA. 

Agreed with lots of the stuff people have said like Polish/ Mexal - I just hope the movie is good! Fez is also correct about World War Z - the original ending of that movie sounded pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, Raja said:

They must have edited that out then because Poe is *easily* the least fleshed out character in that movie. Don't get me wrong, I love Poe and I hope we see more of him, but the first cut must have been awful if they did reshoots and came out with the Poe we see in TFA. 

Well he was supposed to die originally, but Isaac convinced JJ not to kill him off. 

On Rogue One, if Vader is not in it, I'll riot.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Fuckloads of films do reshoots. I don't  know why we're suddenly panicking at every instance of it happening. You usually never hear about them unless the film looked like it was going to tank anyway. Special circumstances caused the Suicide Squad reshoots to come to light and now it seems we're going to get 'OH NO! RESHOOTS!' every fucking time an anticipated film does it too.

Speaking only for myself, I was surprised because I liked the promo so much.

15 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Speaking only for myself, I was surprised because I liked the promo so much.

I think a lot of that was because of how Star Warsy it looked. We got the remix of the New Hope theme, we got the warning klaxons, we got Mon Mothma, we got AT-ATs and stormtroopers...it looked like it belonged in Star Wars to me. I can still hear the remix song in my head, and it sticks because of how close it is.

As long as it's like that promo I think it'll be fine.

Curious how the MCU has more flexibility with the kinds of film it does eg war, fantasy, spy etc but for Star Wars there's a little bit of cold feet regarding doing a war film. Which is odd on two counts because it's "star WARS" and because I'd always thought of Rogue one as a heist movie.

Given this is the first non "episode" film from Disney I'd rather they'd play it safe and successful than bring the whole anthology crashing down after its debut. If that means throwing in some more star warsy stuff that's cool. It'd be a shame if they delete some elements. A concern of mine was back when they said the film wouldn't feature any force users - I want Vader in this! If they are adding more Vader, I'll be happy.

Another concern I have is that I thought Godzilla was a snooze-fest so I'm not 100% confident in the Director. If Disney thing it is a bit dull/slow then it's a good thing they are noticing.

I don't see a problem, I think people are just a little worried with the idea that some "suits" are interfering with the creative process (something we taught in movies) and changing the tone of the film, but this is basically standard practice.  I think its just people are paying a lot closer attention to every detail, than they normally do when films are getting made, because its Star Wars. 

18 minutes ago, Leofric said:

I don't see a problem, I think people are just a little worried with the idea that some "suits" are interfering with the creative process (something we taught in movies) and changing the tone of the film, but this is basically standard practice.  I think its just people are paying a lot closer attention to every detail, than they normally do when films are getting made, because its Star Wars. 

Certain franchises are also extremely valuable as clickbait. We have and will continue to see this franchise analyzed under the microscope.

EW on the reshoots. Sounds like it was always planned.

In what may reassure fans, reshoots were scheduled for the film before even a single scene was shot. It’s standard practice now for large-scale films to build in additional weeks of shooting so filmmakers can tweak a movie after the first assembly cut.

Those reshoots were originally planned for the spring, but were bumped to mid-summer to allow for extra time as director Gareth Edwards and the creative team decided what they wanted to alter. “The changes have everything to do with clarity and character development and all take place [as inserts] within scenes we’ve already shot,” said one source on the project.

In other words, they changes involve more intimate moments – not redoing entire battle sequences or plot lines. “It’s a lot of talking in cockpits,” as one insider described the new footage.

Archived