The Walking Dead Season 7 (Comic Spoilers) What? Was the joke that bad?

The BlackBear

I was hoping Negan would insist on giving Coral a haircut so we can enjoy his scar.

This week's episode was very close to the comic to the point where I felt like I'd seen all of the Negan and Coral scenes before. Shame he didn't break out into carl poppa when given the chance

3 hours ago, Pecan said:

It seems to me that Coral could have just shot Negan and the rest of the saviors would have been fine with it. 

For the F***ing life of me, I don't understand why Carl would hold off on firing when Negan was using a human shield, right after he'd just gunned down a couple of other Saviors.... Awful writing and direction....

3 hours ago, Pecan said:

Also, here's a question for you guys. Even though a lot of us don't especially like Negan or this whole arc of the story, I think most would agree that JDM is pretty compelling in his portrayal.  With that in mind, why in the hell isn't Jeffrey Dean Morgan a bigger TV/Movie Star than he is? I mean, he's had a pretty solid career, don't get me wrong. But, his screen presence is really electric. It's just my opinion, but I think he should be bigger than he is.

Totally agree.... But there must be a reason.... I thought Magic City was a fantastic show, and he was great as the lead... but it still got cancelled early... He's yet to get that movie "breakout" role.... Watchmen and the Losers weren't big enough at the box office to put him over the top

On December 2, 2016 at 6:24 AM, Castel said:

I mean, rape is rape (no matter how people argue online that Negan's rules prevent this because he's so against violent sexual assault)but Negan didn't waltz in and just take Dwight's wife. It wasn't an arbitrary thing.

I think that's what makes so many episodes unpleasant.  All of Negan's women seem like torture victims out of a Lifetime movie.  Abused and crying like they're in the Burning Bed.  Not one of these Savior women is badass or  thought that being one of Negan's wives is a good political move?  And when he's mean to one wife they all rush to her side and comfort her.  Its such a simplistic view of the reality of the situation, you'd have different agendas for different wives... there would be some that feel particularly victimized yes, but they wouldn't all be a bunch of helpless crying abuse victims.  Just research modern day harems and you'll see a lot of women that buy into the cult of personality, some ditzes, some schemers, some would compete to be the main wife, some opportunists, and some that eventually feel victimized like they're in over their head, but not the Lifetime cast that Negan has assembled. 

That and Negan's insane plot armor where no one ever puts a bullet in his smug, obnoxious head despite him daring everyone in the world to do it get on my nerves.   Its comic book BS.

So I finally caught up after missing the show the last couple weeks and I ran into something that really brothers me about the Saviors.

I understand them following Negan into being cruel to Ricks group. They lost people to Ricks group and would want revenge. I even get the Saviors extorting other communities for supplies, cause you know, the apocalypse. 

But two episodes ago we find out Negan ordered his group to kill every male in a community above the age of 12/13 (I can't remember which). How many child killers does Negan keep?

1 hour ago, A True Kaniggit said:

But two episodes ago we find out Negan ordered his group to kill every male in a community above the age of 12/13 (I can't remember which). How many child killers does Negan keep?

The whole idea of the Saviors group gets more and more farcical.  Last week, he punished a guy who's girlfriend went back to him, by holding an iron to his face.  We know he did that previously to Dwight, but now we saw it.  And every single person standing around in that group looked horrified, or at least very uncomfortable.  Why anyone remains loyal when any of them could be punished on a whim is beyond me.

And in tonight's episode, they all look like psychopaths again.  Beating up Aaron (although...really, how'd you not take that note out of the box?), killing Olivia on a whim...it's kind of ridiculous. 

They may not have enough people to directly attack the Saviors compound...but they get some guns...they have more than enough to kill one of the collection parties...and if Negan is leading them personally...seems like a golden opportunity.

5 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

The whole idea of the Saviors group gets more and more farcical.  Last week, he punished a guy who's girlfriend went back to him, by holding an iron to his face.  We know he did that previously to Dwight, but now we saw it.  And every single person standing around in that group looked horrified, or at least very uncomfortable.  Why anyone remains loyal when any of them could be punished on a whim is beyond me.

And in tonight's episode, they all look like psychopaths again.  Beating up Aaron (although...really, how'd you not take that note out of the box?), killing Olivia on a whim...it's kind of ridiculous. 

They may not have enough people to directly attack the Saviors compound...but they get some guns...they have more than enough to kill one of the collection parties...and if Negan is leading them personally...seems like a golden opportunity.

Right. I was just thinking how the Alexandria gate could be such a good place for an ambush. With enough guns, Rick's group could easily ambush Negan and his collection party next time they come. They should have done that the first time around. I have a feeling, though, that Rick will try that, and lo and behold, Negan won't be there next time.

Pretty underwhelming episode. Nice to see Daryl reunited with the crew. Jesus is a a real-life ninja. Pulling for Maggie to be the new leader of the Hilltop. The way that dude told the leader to give Maggie the apple goes to show what they think of him: Jabroni.

Any thoughts on the boot dude/dudette? That was a little eerie when they showed him/her creeping around the island as Rick and Aaron were leaving. Also curious about the  letter stating that even though you won you lose. Hmm....

Till February...

3 hours ago, HokieStone said:

I haven't watched a few episodes and likely won't watch this one for now but...wasn't this covered in the comics?

The writers were clearly giving the finger to the audience with that bullet-to-the-bat scene.  These people can make impossible head shot after impossible headshot and suddenly can't make the one necessary headshot needed to move on from this Negan shit?  Right, whatever. 

I like how no one exists at Hilltop except for when necessary.  They didn't even put random extras in the background when Rick and co walked through the compound.  I guess it makes sense seeing as it's only a matter of time before Rick's group practically cannibalizes all of Hilltop and probably Ezekiel's kingdom, too.

Who was the person watching Aaron and Rick?

1 hour ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I like how no one exists at Hilltop except for when necessary.  They didn't even put random extras in the background when Rick and co walked through the compound.  I guess it makes sense seeing as it's only a matter of time before Rick's group practically cannibalizes all of Hilltop and probably Ezekiel's kingdom, too.

Who was the person watching Aaron and Rick?

I thought that was hilarious too.  Why is no one around?  I also was hoping they'd play "Little Green Bag" while the group did their oh-so-carefully staggered march up to the house as well.

As to the boots-person, not really sure of anyone that it could be in specific other than Dwight.  Failing that (because they deliberately didn't show face like they did with Michonne in Season 2) I suspect it is a Whisperer.

Wow - an episode with all the cast getting to do something in their various locations. It was still essentially the same story that has played out most of the season of Negan dominates over everyone but at least it felt like their was some momentum this episode.

I laughed at the uneccessarily long reunion scene at the hilltop where everyone seemed to hug and nod knowingly at each other for 5 minutes leaving Jesus to feel awkward.

The bullet in the bat was a bit silly but I'm pretty sure the debate ranged from one extreme of "the physics of stopping a bullet with a baseball bat and maintaining a hold of said bat, even if it shouldn't have shattered/passed right through" to the other extreme of "it's a show with zombies - shut up".

I felt bad for Spencer but that was largely because I assumed he was playing a longer game on behalf of team Rick. Then again if he really was making a play to be in charge of Alexandria then I guess i have a lot less sympathy for him. I also felt bad for the woman who got shot even though I don't know her name. She did a great job of evoking sympathy with how she reacted to Negan's bullying.

When I first read about the bat thing I assumed the bat at least shattered. I just finished the episode and that was just cartoonish. It's kind of amazing because every single person on that set/the writing and production teams that should have realized there was something wrong there. 

Eugene should be way more annoying than he is and I credit Josh McDermitt for somehow making him seem like a real person. 

Also as a John From Cincinnati fan (there are dozens of us!) I was sad so see Spencer go. 

The thing I'm most surprised with is how well the Alexandrians ended up after Rosita's gaffe. Daryl takes a swing at Negan and it costs Glenn his life. Rosita shoots a bullet at Negan's face and the only punishment is the most minor of character deaths and Eugene being taken away. Add Spencer's death to the mix and Rick & crew did pretty damn good.

Good episode but a few things really rubbed me the wrong way, and it seems the same things irked others here as well. A series of ridiculous events starting with Spencer being led down that narrative path like a dumb cow to the slaughterhouse. Followed by Rosita shooting Negan right in the...Lucille. Followed by the whole "Lucille, give me strength" line, and then that overacting by the guy doing Eugene. It was all way to stupidly comical that it took me outta not only the moment but the entire show. @RumHam got it right when he called it "cartoonish."

The scene with Michonne and Rick in Negan's future domicile also seemed unnatural and very much a performance by the two actors. A far cry from the outstanding work Andrew Lincoln delivered in the season opener.

Finally, I got beef with Rosita now. After the way Rosita talked to Eugene last episode and then in this episode how she didn't listen to a damn word Father Gabriel said (who really is turning around to someone damn likeable these last two episodes, which means he'll definitely die in All Out War next season) to her and that causing Denise to get face fucked by a bullet--I'm kinda looking forward to Rosita's fate by Alpha of the Whisperers. (Least menacing title in this series, BTW.)

And I've no idea who boots guy/gal is, but it's way too soon for it to be a Whisperer. I think Dwight is a good guess.

On December 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Also curious about the  letter stating that even though you won you lose. Hmm....

Till February...

Wasn't a lot of what they took food? Maybe the guy was a dick and poisoned some of it. Might give the writers a way to cut down on the Saviors numbers so Ricks groups inevitable victory seems more plausible. 

5 hours ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

The thing I'm most surprised with is how well the Alexandrians ended up after Rosita's gaffe. Daryl takes a swing at Negan and it costs Glenn his life. Rosita shoots a bullet at Negan's face and the only punishment is the most minor of character deaths and Eugene being taken away. Add Spencer's death to the mix and Rick & crew did pretty damn good.

They did seem to get off lightly. No Punishment for Carl's actions and only one death for someone trying to kill him - and that was a "should have died moment". Given his goons witnessed it, I'd have thought he should have made more of an example.

They should have at least diffused the situation by Negan telling Eugene "come and make bullets for me and your girl you're sweet on lives". Eugene could have maybe made the demand too but I suspect without him being in a position to commit suicide Negan would have simply started torturing/killing people until he caved.

5 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

@RumHam

And I've no idea who boots guy/gal is, but it's way too soon for it to be a Whisperer. I think Dwight is a good guess.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - we probably won't know until the end season of this season who the person is anyhow.

I hope they wrap the Saviour stuff up this season. They are still going to have to make some mighty narrative jumps to justify keeping Negan alive it ends. Even moreso than in the comics (which also failed to convince).

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

God the writing on this show is so fucking lazy. Some thoughts on that episode...

• The "one bullet" thing was stupid.
  • Carol's personality seems to change sporadically based on the needs of the writers.
  • The entire episode was basically long stretches of nothing, killing time until a single moment of dramatic tension.
  • I honestly don't know if the scene where Michonne shoots the Savior was supposed to be dramatic or silly.
  • As usual, JDM is killing it as Negan. Loved the "and I fed him spaghetti" line.

point 3 simply meant you got a season arc within an episode :)

point 2 - yeah I'm often lost with her too. I felt she was wanting to stir war last time we saw her but it has been a while since we saw her.

point 4 - I wasn't even sure she did kill that saviour. I'm guessing you're correct and she must have.

The only new information I can think of is the Saviors' base of operations, which Jesus supposedly fully scouted.

I'm surprised how nobody pointed out just how freaking ridiculous the ending scene of two minutes of "knowing nods" was. I don't think I've seen anything more ridiculous in a serious TV show/movie. Reminded my instantly of this: 

Holy crap that was cliche. And awfully dragged out too, making it impossible to dismiss. To think of it now - that song would have been very fitting too.

1 hour ago, akh said:

The only new information I can think of is the Saviors' base of operations, which Jesus supposedly fully scouted.

I'm surprised how nobody pointed out just how freaking ridiculous the ending scene of two minutes of "knowing nods" was. I don't think I've seen anything more ridiculous in a serious TV show/movie. Reminded my instantly of this: 

Holy crap that was cliche. And awfully dragged out too, making it impossible to dismiss. To think of it now - that song would have been very fitting too.

I did a page ago.

It made me reminiscent of the silent character musical montages from Sons of Anarchy in terms of cheesiness.

Archived