US Politics: Now with Alt Facts

davos

16 minutes ago, Lordsteve666 said:

Yeah it's looking really worrying if I'm honest. 

First discredit the media, making out everything they say is lies. 

Now replace that media with your own alternative versions of events.

Then shut down any operations within government that might not "agree" with your policies (hello EPA, park's service etc).

Round up any "aliens" you don't like the look of and you feel threaten you little kingdom.

Then set about fiddling the system to ensure you can lose power in the future. 

I honestly dread to think what's next on the agenda....

At the risk of going overboard on the 1984 references...

“Now I will tell you the answer to my question. It is this. The Party seeks power entirely for its own sake. We are not interested in the good of others; we are interested solely in power, pure power. What pure power means you will understand presently. We are different from the oligarchies of the past in that we know what we are doing. All the others, even those who resembled ourselves, were cowards and hypocrites. The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. They pretended, perhaps they even believed, that they had seized power unwillingly and for a limited time, and that just around the corner there lay a paradise where human beings would be free and equal. We are not like that. We know that no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means; it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power. Now you begin to understand me.” 

How do you know when Republicans are in charge. Who cares about deficit for tax cuts and military spending. They only matter when you want to provide people like health care

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-tax-cuts-deficits-234143

Some Trump administration officials and Capitol Hill Republicans are discussing the possibility of passing sweeping tax cuts without offsetting revenue increases — an idea that threatens to balloon the deficit and undermine the GOP’s reputation as the party of fiscal discipline.

A number of Trump advisers in recent weeks have privately questioned whether tax reform needs to be “revenue neutral,” according to multiple people familiar with early-stage tax reform discussions. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) personally reached out to administration officials to argue that tax cuts without corresponding offsets would spur faster economic growth, and conservative groups such as Club for Growth and Heritage Foundation second that idea, bolstering the argument in the eyes of the right.

14 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I think the government should be smaller, and I’m for tax cuts and spending cuts that reduce the overall size of the government,” Paul told Politico in a short interview Tuesday. 

What Rand and the Republican Party really mean by "big government" and "entitlement reform" or whatever is Social Security and Medicare.

It's about time they get some goddamn courage and say what they really mean.

I'll have more to say about this after I parse through the latest CBO report.

It’s unclear how pervasive the sentiment that tax reform need not be offset is among the Trump administration. Trump's campaign tax plan would have cost $10 trillion over a decade, according to the Tax Foundation, a conservative tax think tank in Washington.

And the Heritage Foundation, evidently, intends to find this 10 trillion from cutting Medicare and Social Security. And that plan is evidently being used by some in Trump's administration as a "blue print".

TRUMP is making good on some more campaign promises. 

We're building a wall, a big beautiful wall with a beautiful door. And stripping funds from sanctuary cities. And blocking immigrants from muslim countries. 

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-na-pol-trump-immigration-20170125-story.html

5 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Is it going to be tall enough to block airplanes? Float so it blocks boats? Enjoy your expensive, worthless symbol.

The wall is certainly pointless. it will just drive immigrants to make dangerous water crossings, or tunnels, or destruction of more remote sections of the wall. 

My cringe/embarrasment needle is buried in the redline with having a President that is asking why the Pentagon didnt keep Iraq's oil for themselves. What were supposed to be proud to be a nation of fucking thieves now?

That policy would make us no different than WW2 era imperial Japan then would it, and how did that end for Japan? Might makes right, is short term gain, long term big LOSS.

Has he found a way to make Jesús pay for that wall? If you are wondering, Jesús is the Mexican cousin of the American Supply Side Jesus.

Or will he just hire Mexican construction companies and file for bankruptcy with the US, as if it was one of his businesses?

Oh America what have you done?

1 minute ago, Notone said:

Has he found a way to make Jesús pay for that wall? If you are wondering, Jesús is the Mexican cousin of the American Supply Side Jesus.

Or will he just hire Mexican construction companies and file for bankruptcy with the US, as if it was one of his businesses?

Oh America what have you done?

It'll be 'complicated', apparently. Code for 'Mexico ain't gonna pay a cent for this, but I'll find some way to claim they did'.

45 minutes ago, Mexal said:

This is ridiculous. Seems the voter fraud investigation will focus on states he lost and urban areas according to Spicer.

I agree that Trump's investigation into voter fraud is ridiculous, but it seems to me that it's no more ridiculous than Jill's Stein's recount effort in PA, WI, and MI.  Stein didn't have any evidence of hacking or vote manipulation either, just that it was theoretically possible and that doing the recount was the only way to find any evidence.  Well, Trump doesn't have any evidence either, but voter fraud is possible, and we won't know to what extent voter fraud occurred in this election unless we do an investigation.  I fully expect that an investigation will confirm that no mass voter fraud occurred, but I don't see how Trump's investigation is any less justified than Stein's recount effort.  I think both are a waste of resources, but a lot of Democrats and a lot of people on this forum were OK with Stein.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

I agree that Trump's investigation into voter fraud is ridiculous, but it seems to me that it's no more ridiculous than Jill's Stein's recount effort in PA, WI, and MI.  Stein didn't have any evidence of hacking or vote manipulation either, just that it was theoretically possible and that doing the recount was the only way to find any evidence.  Well, Trump doesn't have any evidence either, but voter fraud is possible, and we won't know to what extent voter fraud occurred in this election unless we do an investigation.  I fully expect that an investigation will confirm that no mass voter fraud occurred, but I don't see how Trump's investigation is any less justified than Stein's recount effort.  I think both are a waste of resources, but a lot of Democrats and a lot of people on this forum were OK with Stein.

But he won. I don't have any real issue with an investigation, but the claim (3.5 million?!) with zero proof on offer is patently ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

This is ridiculous. Seems the voter fraud investigation will focus on states he lost and urban areas according to Spicer.

Well geez - California for the 3 M votes for Hillary, New York because Trump is from New York and he knows he has incredible, fantastic, YUGE support in New York (Giuliani told him), so he was obviously cheated there.

Archived