US Politics: Now with Alt Facts

davos

Someone in charge of The Badlands National Park twitter feed thankfully decided it was worth getting fired in order to put out a series of climate change tweets in defiance of a ban by the Trump admin.

With the Trump administration placing a gag order on the Environmental Protection Agency, shutting down its Twitter feed, forcing employees off their individual accounts and dismantling Web pages with climate-change information, Badlands went rogue.

“Today, the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is higher than at any time in the last 650,000 years,” it declared in one of at least four tweets.

Admirers went nuts. They created a hashtag, #Badasslands, in an ode to the defiance and dubbed the park Breaking Badlands after the TV show “Breaking Bad.” Within hours, the park gained a huge audience.

Brave tweeter, whoever you are, you are a treasure.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

a quote from the article;

The Washington Post gives us a glimpse of the president’s reaction:

Trump turned on the television to see a jarring juxtaposition—massive demonstrations around the globe protesting his day-old presidency and footage of the sparser crowd at his inauguration, with large patches of white empty space on the Mall. As his press secretary, Sean Spicer, was still unpacking boxes in his spacious new West Wing office, Trump grew increasingly and visibly enraged.

Good.

1 hour ago, Martell Spy said:

Trump expected to issue immigration actions on Wednesday

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/donald-trump-immigration-234142

Protest Works

The Trump administration’s meltdown proves it.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2017/01/protest_works.html

Doesn't feel quite as good when your are the one peeing all over yourself, does it?

20 minutes ago, kairparabola said:

Just going to leave this here....

Was just coming to post a link on this...apparently this was very shortly after Rahm was on television with criticisms of Trump...(Rahm's comments at the bottom of the srticle.)

As for Trump’s moves in his first few days in office to undo key pieces of former President Barack Obama’s legacy, Emanuel, who served as Obama’s first chief of staff, criticized the president for rolling back provisions via executive order rather than through legislation in Congress.

“I think both stylistically and substantively, it’s off to the wrong start,” Emanuel said.

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Now, when someone says, "I'm going to send the Feds in", this has always meant sending in the FBI.

Is that what he means?  The FBI will take over policing in Chicago?

Are there enough FBI agents to do that, while not abandoning other obligations?

I guess that's what I should have asked, what does he mean by this?  I imagined the FBI taking over Chicago government and policing.  But I figured it's trump and he probably meant martial law or something.  

So instead of joking, I'll talk about what he could actually do.

(I'd also like to point out to @Altherion how completely fucking on the point my predictions about the damage Trump could do as executive have been, and it's been 5 days). 

With Chicago, he has some interesting powers:

• He can declare a state of emergency. He has to declare the scope, what powers he is granting and superceding (within specific boundaries),  and the scope of the emergency. Congress can override this if both groups vote a simple majority vote, but chances are they won't. From there, he can do almost anything that you can think. He can call the military in, the national guard, he can stop traffic, he can stop speech, he can stop commerce, he can declare martial law. There's a limit to some things, but the limit is not all that much. And it has to be renewed in a year's time by congress explicitly. But he can do all of that. Tomorrow. If he wants. Illinois and Chicago cannot legally stop him. I don't think he'll do that, mind you, but this is within his power. The only reason I think he won't do that is because he doesn't give a shit if Chicago gets fucked. 
  • He can instruct Comey to beef up FBI presence and start investigations. The FBI doesn't technically have a ton of jurisdiction, but they can probably deal with it by saying how many interstate guns there are in Chicago. 
  • Similarly, he can instruct ATF to go there with a similar shitty pretense.
  • He could, in theory, even have the CDC go. Unlikely, but that's an interesting and amusing one. 
  • He can also do some weird things with 'hiring' local and state police to enforce certain things, like immigration laws and other laws. This one does require cooperation from those officials but most police kind of like this. I've forgotten the term on what this is, but I'm sure someone will look it up. 

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

So instead of joking, I'll talk about what he could actually do.

(I'd also like to point out to @Altherion how completely fucking on the point my predictions about the damage Trump could do as executive have been, and it's been 5 days). 

With Chicago, he has some interesting powers:

• He can declare a state of emergency. He has to declare the scope, what powers he is granting and superceding (within specific boundaries),  and the scope of the emergency. Congress can override this if both groups vote a simple majority vote, but chances are they won't. From there, he can do almost anything that you can think. He can call the military in, the national guard, he can stop traffic, he can stop speech, he can stop commerce, he can declare martial law. There's a limit to some things, but the limit is not all that much. And it has to be renewed in a year's time by congress explicitly. But he can do all of that. Tomorrow. If he wants. Illinois and Chicago cannot legally stop him. I don't think he'll do that, mind you, but this is within his power. The only reason I think he won't do that is because he doesn't give a shit if Chicago gets fucked. 
  • He can instruct Comey to beef up FBI presence and start investigations. The FBI doesn't technically have a ton of jurisdiction, but they can probably deal with it by saying how many interstate guns there are in Chicago. 
  • Similarly, he can instruct ATF to go there with a similar shitty pretense.
  • He could, in theory, even have the CDC go. Unlikely, but that's an interesting and amusing one. 
  • He can also do some weird things with 'hiring' local and state police to enforce certain things, like immigration laws and other laws. This one does require cooperation from those officials but most police kind of like this. I've forgotten the term on what this is, but I'm sure someone will look it up. 

Thanks Kal, I had no idea he could do so much.  Really is scary what he has the power to do. 

36 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

What exactly would the Feds do?  What does he think they would do?

He thinks they'd "fix it". He's not interested in the fiddly little technical details like how, sorting that out is their job. They'd be following his entirely non-specific orders, so naturally they'll succeed where the locals have failed.

15 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

He could, in theory, even have the CDC go. Unlikely, but that's an interesting and amusing one.

Gun culture as a contagious psychological disease?

33 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

What exactly has he done that you have predicted? If I remember correctly, you predicted that he would round up millions of illegal immigrants and deport them.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

What exactly has he done that you have predicted? If I remember correctly, you predicted that he would round up millions of illegal immigrants and deport them.

I thought that's what Trump was promising to do.

Archived