US Politics: Now with Alt Facts

davos

One of the other things the Conservatives did here in Canada was get pissed off at charities that helped Palestinians, since the Cons loudly proclaimed their support for Israel. They started auditing many long-respected charities and cancelling their statuses as charities for doing too many 'political' things.

But maybe you guys have already been through this?

This guy is a frigging disaster. Every day of his presidency so far has been worse than the one before.

I keep telling myself "you're not American, stop feeling so affected by it" but I just can't shake the feeling that him and the clown college he's put in charge are going to find a way for their stupidity to leak out and infect everyone.

Just now, Darryk said:

This guy is a frigging disaster. Every day of his presidency so far has been worse than the one before.

I keep telling myself "you're not American, stop feeling so affected by it" but I just can't shake the feeling that him and the clown college he's put in charge are going to find a way for their stupidity to leak out and infect everyone.

Well, ya know, there's that whole global thermonuclear war thing.

On the bright side for the world outside of the USA, a retrenched, protectionist USA may force the rest of the world to orbit around the USA a bit less. The USA has been the centre of the universe for a bit under a century, perhaps under Trump it will fall back to the pack a little bit and the world will care less and be somewhat less affected by what goes on politically in the USA. As long as you don't completely tank your economy of course.

1 hour ago, S John said:

Hopefully some of them will have the spine to break protocol when necessary.  Can't see a lot of public support for a president chastising a government agency for releasing true information.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/energy-environment/wp/2017/01/23/cdc-abruptly-cancels-long-planned-conference-on-climate-change-and-health/

not looking promising so far... CDC cancels a climate change and health conference a month before Trumpn is sworn in. (Credit to X-ray for sharing this)

23 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

On the bright side for the world outside of the USA, a retrenched, protectionist USA may force the rest of the world to orbit around the USA a bit less. The USA has been the centre of the universe for a bit under a century, perhaps under Trump it will fall back to the pack a little bit and the world will care less and be somewhat less affected by what goes on politically in the USA. As long as you don't completely tank your economy of course.

We've got a shitload of nukes, a massive economy, and senior White House advisors developing informal alliances with far-right parties across Western Europe. There's no getting away from us I'm afraid. 

Unless China really steps up its game.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Definitely the People's Republic - perhaps, United States of the Unrechtsstaat Republic of People or USURP.

Well, we need to include a "great" somewhere in there, that way he can always claim he literally made America great again. 

1 hour ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Lolz

More evidence we're screwed:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-house-doubles-down-trump-s-debunked-illegal-voter-claim-n711526

The White House doubled down on President Donald Trump's widely debunked claim that millions of people voted illegally in the 2016 presidential election, costing Trump the popular vote.

"The President does believe that," White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer told reporters on Tuesday, just one day after pledging to tell the public "the facts as I know them." "He's stated that before, I think he has stated his concerns of voter fraud and people voting illegally during the campaign and continues to maintain that belief based on studies and evidence people have presented to him."

When pressed for evidence, Spicer said "the president has believed that for a while based on studies and information he has." Spicer also cited a 2008 Pew study that he said showed 14 percent of people who voted were not citizens.

Like I've been saying, "In Trumpland, if you believe it, that makes it true."

ETA:

Has there ever lived a man more thin skinned ant petty than Trump:

http://time.com/4645703/donald-trump-inauguration-photo-date/

Donald Trump Plans to Hang an Inauguration Photo in the White House Press Hall. It Has the Wrong Date

1 hour ago, Mindwalker said:

@Darryk: I feel the same way.

Something for comic relief: Do you speak Trump language? We tried to introduce the Netherlands in a way comprehensive to Trump

:lol: :lol: That was great.

18 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

More evidence we're screwed:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/white-house-doubles-down-trump-s-debunked-illegal-voter-claim-n711526

Like I've been saying, "In Trumpland, if you believe it, that makes it true."

ETA:

Has there ever lived a man more thin skinned ant petty than Trump:

http://time.com/4645703/donald-trump-inauguration-photo-date/

5 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

Uh, okay, what was being said then?  Is that not an obvious statement that somehow Keystone XL will possibly cause contamination, NOT UNLIKE THE WATER IN FLINT.  Or can you not read?

What does "not unlike" mean to you?  A double negative = a British way of writing a positive.  "Like the water in Flint".  Well, again, the water in Flit was in no way affected by a petro pipeline.

Perpaps I should've used a better choice of words.

I do get your drift though.  It's a tough call now for Canada'a PM, who has done well to hold his (and Canada's) own regarding fighting climate change, with the Trump admin right next door. 

IMO Trudeau has an opportunity here to give Trump his first true bloody nose, by shutting down the Canadian side of the XL agreement.  He won't though, with Alberta in such dire straights due to the price of oil, it'd likely be the end of his government.  It does give Canada some leverage though over Trump.

4 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

IMO Trudeau has an opportunity here to give Trump his first true bloody nose, by shutting down the Canadian side of the XL agreement.  He won't though, with Alberta in such dire straights due to the price of oil, it'd likely be the end of his government.  It does give Canada some leverage though over Trump.

More than unlikely, as Trudeau just recently greenlit a pipline project here that's been bone of contention between British Columbia and Alberta for some time.

What I would prefer is Trudeau standing up regarding NAFTA [he and his Cabinet are meeting with Ivanka's husband to discuss it today, in Calgary, if I recall correctly] but that's unlikely as well. Which is disheartening, because Mexico really shouldn't be left out of that discussion. 

2 hours ago, Fez said:

We've got a shitload of nukes, a massive economy, and senior White House advisors developing informal alliances with far-right parties across Western Europe. There's no getting away from us I'm afraid. 

Unless China really steps up its game.

Your nukes are only of a concern to nuclear countries that are seen as likely military enemies of the USA. So that's China, used to be Russia possibly still is to a degree, DPRK and Pakistan, oh and Iran whenever the USA decides it needs to nuke Iran, regardless of the not-alt-facts. Of those I think it's really only Iran and DPRK that the USA would consider being first to launch the nukes...even under Trump. So for the most part we care not about the nukes.

It's a massive economy true. But no longer the largest, and other large economies with large populations are growning, like India. So while the USA will always be an important economy, it won't be the most important economy. Case in point: in 2000 the USA was our 2nd largest single country for exports (Aussie was number 1) at just over $4Bn, now with a free trade agreement signed, China is our biggest export market at over $8-9Bn (was <$1Bn in 2000) and the USA is 3rd with moderate growth up to $5-5.5Bn. As a share of our export revenue the USA has dropped quite a lot, all while still being an important market. And this is reflected by the amount of resource my department puts into trade with China and the USA. I am one of a two person team managing agricultural trade access with the USA, and we have a part time rep at the embassy in DC. We have 4 people working on China here and we have 3, soon to be 4, full time people at the embassy in Beijing and at a satellite office in Shanghai.

And we are close to concluding a free trade agreement with India with an agricultural rep being established at our embassy in New Delhi for the first time this year. Our current trade with India is a little less than what we had with China in 2000. It's not beyond imagining that India will become a bigger trading partner for us than the USA within 5 years.

And we're one of the USA's friendly countries.

Aussie has seen a similar export shift possibly even more stark than NZ. China was number 5, under $10Bn annually and even behind us in 2000, and USA was number 2 behind Japan. And now for Aussie China is #1 with $87Bn in 2015 and no growth at all in export trade with the USA over the last 15 years dropping to 4th, despite having a FTA with the USA. Actually AU exports to the USA fell away quite substantially and only in 2015 did they get back to 2000 levels, but adjusted for inflation that's still a drop.

So USA's diminishing economic importance to the world is already happening. And where economic importance goes, so goes political influence.

As I said, USA will always be important. But it is no longer first in importance, but perhaps first among equals. And maybe in future not even that.

I just... with the economic policy changes aimed at women's rights, those at the CDC, USDA et others, now this. Like holy fuck. 4 years from now? You guys need to figure out how to get rid of His Monkey of Orange waaaaay before that. 

Archived