Ran

3 minutes ago, goomba said:

Yes, this may have been one of the worst episodes in the entire series imo.

So this whole nonsensical trip to get a wight to show Cersei (really!?!?!?) was just to get a dragon for the White Walkers? I'm not going to say it was the worst episode, but the story leading up to this episode has been near rock bottom. Exactly what was the point of taking a wight to King's Landing? Oh sure, Cersei is all of a sudden going to be the voice of reason when we show her what we found.

So let's see...we've established that the Lannister army is basically gone. Jaime says (and I know he was probably shell-shocked) that the Dothraki are unstoppable. Dany has (had) 3 dragons, and it's been established that the only reason she hasn't sacked King's Landing is because of the smallfolk. But sure, let's take a handful of guys and sneak up on an undead army. Then meet with Cersei and have a little talk.

Ugh...just ugh...

1 minute ago, Trebla said:

When it happened,I thought it was Rhaegal but Twitter is saying Viserion. So much for the dragon having three heads...Jon gets his daddy's dragon 

I thought it made the most sense that it was Viserion, but no one in the show says it was him, right? We don't actually hear someone saying "Viserion is dead", IIRC?

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I mentioned in a post last week that Arya is being written like she's still twelve, and now along with that she's being completely stripped of compassion as well. The fact that she doesn't even inquire as to what Sansa's referring to when she mentions how she suffered is a prime example of this.

I do think Maisie and Sophie did a good job with this scene, however. There were two spots in the argument where you could actually she Arya's resolve falter just a bit: when Sansa pointed out that Arya was present for Ned's death and yet didn't do any more than Sansa did to stop it, and when she was forced to realize that, for all her training, Arya didn't do anything to help recapture Winterfell (it also knocked her idolized perception of Jon down a peg when Sansa revealed that he wouldn't have won the battle without the Vale). Unfortunately, show-Arya is incapable of acting rationally at this point, so she just continues to angrily steamroll forward. It's even more mind-numbing when you consider that Sansa's letter didn't have much of an effect on anything: Robb ignored it, and Ned was still beheaded.

We're reminded once again that Sansa isn't trying to usurp Jon when she tells Littlefinger that she's afraid the northern lords will abandon Jon should they discover her letter, since their loyalty to her is the only thing keeping the fickle lords from abandoning Winterfell. The fact that she dismisses Brienne after LF hints at having Brienne kill Arya for her also indicates that she hasn't suddenly started trusting LF and that she doesn't want her sister killed. 

Unless it's revealed that Arya was listening just outside the door for all of this, then I honestly don't know why she hands Sansa the dagger, aside from being a way for the show to build suspense. Did she want to see if Sansa would try to stab her with it? Unfortunately, I don't think they're playing LF, at least not yet. Much like with the Talisa-spy theory, I think this is simply a nonsensical plot that doesn't have a clever explanation.

It's almost as-if Arya thinks Sansa was treated like a Princess or a honored guest when she was in King's Landing and not a hostage.

Holy hell

Quite a decent episode.

Pros

1. Dragons, acting, set peices..etc....AMAZING! Anyone trying to pick this apart is really trying hard to hate the show. Not even movies have this good of a cast, cgi or setting.
  2. Well the Avenger initiative did not last long but it was a failure and a success. If they get the Lannisters to help them, I guess you can call it a success.
  3. Tormund was amazing. They gave him the spotlight he needed. 
  4. Undead Dragon. 
  5. Arya letting Sansa know she is ape**it crazy and will beat him to death if she needs to.
  6. Tyrion getting back in the mode of doing what he does best
  7. The fights
  8. Benjen finally died. He served his purpose.5

Cons

1. The teleportation of Dany. Just feels like the raven flew too quick to Dragonstone and she flew to the North all in a matter of few days. 

Outside of that, i thought this was a quality episode. The scenario that the directors created or took from the book feels very hard to pull off considering the time lapse

3 minutes ago, Pandean said:

It's almost as-if Arya thinks Sansa was treated like a Princess or a honored guest when she was in King's Landing and not a hostage.

Arya in the books never cared about nice dresses or hairdos and yet in this (and the last) episode, Arya really seems to resent Sansa for having enjoyed "nice things" and "pretty dresses" and having had a nice hairdo during Ned's execution.  And in the book, I think I remember Arya actually remembering that Sansa had screamed; or at least noticing.  I think Arya is trying to test Sansa, but her idea of testing is going way too far, both as a sister and a Stark of Winterfell (i.e. threatening to murder the Lady of Winterfell).

Did you guys catch Ian Glenn's face when he was behind Dany on Drogon's back? It said everything: he was shocked, horrified, grieving for Dany. The gravity and enormity of the situation was written clear as day on his face. It was a superb piece of acting.

And then there's Emilia beside him, deadpan as ever.

At least for once it could be written off as complete shock that one of her children could die, although I'd assume Drogon's near death at the field of fire 2.0 might have clued her in.

Edited by The Bear

Once, I would have thought Jon unneccesarily lingering to fight off wights was plot induced stupidity but after the Battle of the Bastards, and this, I now really think he's something of a moron, and Sansa really should be the one to rule the North.

At least, she can do more than one facial expression.

Edited by Knight of Ashes

Just now, The Bear said:

Did you guys catch Ian Glenn's face when he was behind Dany on Drogon's back? It said everything: he was shocked, horrified, grieving for Dany. The gravity and enormity of the situation was written clear as day on his face. It was a superb piece of acting.

And then there's Emilia beside him, deadpan as ever.

At least for once it could be written off as complete shock that one of her children could die, although I'd assume Drogon's near death at the field of fire 2.0

Daenerys did finally have tears in her eyes when she was talking to Jon about what happened to Viserion.  Maybe the actress can't make herself cry.

Iain Glen is a good actor, and has the finest cheekbones in the show.

2 minutes ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Arya in the books never cared about nice dresses or hairdos and yet in this (and the last) episode, Arya really seems to resent Sansa for having enjoyed "nice things" and "pretty dresses" and having had a nice hairdo during Ned's execution.  And in the book, I think I remember Arya actually remembering that Sansa had screamed; or at least noticing.  I think Arya is trying to test Sansa, but her idea of testing is going way too far, both as a sister and a Stark of Winterfell (i.e. threatening to murder the Lady of Winterfell).

I found it kind of funny that Arya had/has no desire to wear nice dresses or looks pretty but then threatens to kill Sansa....so she can look pretty and wear nice dresses among other things.

1 minute ago, Lady Lovisa said:

Hold up. So... they successfully got a wight past the wall. This confirms that there's no magic to deter the Others from crossing? The wall is just a literal, physical gigantic barrier? Sigh... We need a separate thread to discuss this.

Probably being carried across is easier than walking across yourself.  

They already established that wights can be brought across by others in season 1.

5 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

Holy hell

Quite a decent episode.

Pros

1. Dragons, acting, set peices..etc....AMAZING! Anyone trying to pick this apart is really trying hard to hate the show. Not even movies have this good of a cast, cgi or setting.
  2. Well the Avenger initiative did not last long but it was a failure and a success. If they get the Lannisters to help them, I guess you can call it a success.
  3. Tormund was amazing. They gave him the spotlight he needed. 
  4. Undead Dragon. 
  5. Arya letting Sansa know she is ape**it crazy and will beat him to death if she needs to.
  6. Tyrion getting back in the mode of doing what he does best
  7. The fights
  8. Benjen finally died. He served his purpose.5

Cons

1. The teleportation of Dany. Just feels like the raven flew too quick to Dragonstone and she flew to the North all in a matter of few days. 

Outside of that, i thought this was a quality episode. The scenario that the directors created or took from the book feels very hard to pull off considering the time lapse

hell it seemed like it was only one day that it took for a raven to get to dragonstone and then dany to get to john

5 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I mentioned in a post last week that Arya is being written like she's still twelve, and now along with that she's being completely stripped of compassion as well. The fact that she doesn't even inquire as to what Sansa's referring to when she mentions how she suffered is a prime example of this.

I do think Maisie and Sophie did a good job with this scene, however. There were two spots in the argument where you could actually she Arya's resolve falter just a bit: when Sansa pointed out that Arya was present for Ned's death and yet didn't do any more than Sansa did to stop it, and when she was forced to realize that, for all her training, Arya didn't do anything to help recapture Winterfell (it also knocked her idolized perception of Jon down a peg when Sansa revealed that he wouldn't have won the battle without the Vale). Unfortunately, show-Arya is incapable of acting rationally at this point, so she just continues to angrily steamroll forward. It's even more mind-numbing when you consider that Sansa's letter didn't have much of an effect on anything: Robb ignored it, and Ned was still beheaded.

We're reminded once again that Sansa isn't trying to usurp Jon when she tells Littlefinger that she's afraid the northern lords will abandon Jon should they discover her letter, since their loyalty to her is the only thing keeping the fickle lords from abandoning Winterfell. The fact that she dismisses Brienne after LF hints at having Brienne kill Arya for her also indicates that she hasn't suddenly started trusting LF and that she doesn't want her sister killed. 

Unless it's revealed that Arya was listening just outside the door for all of this, then I honestly don't know why she hands Sansa the dagger, aside from being a way for the show to build suspense. Did she want to see if Sansa would try to stab her with it? Unfortunately, I don't think they're playing LF, at least not yet. Much like with the Talisa-spy theory, I think this is simply a nonsensical plot that doesn't have a clever explanation.

My thoughts on this horrible Sansa/Arya plotline is that...

Spoiler

it is an obvious slow play and they are both plotting this drama to catch LF. The rumors on plot leaks all point to this play for the writers. They pretend to in-fight in order to get LF to expose what his real plan is with Westeros and expose any other secrets he has before Arya goes Walder Frey on LF with that dagger.

I think that this is something that probably isn't even in the books when they come out. I cannot imagine George writing something out of DeGrassi High drama. If I were Sansa, I'd be freaked the f%ck  out if all of my brothers and sisters came back and one was dead and resurrected, one is crippled and is a mind zombie, and my little sister is the most sinister spy-master/assassin/murderer there is. Sansa has to be going nuts at this point. 

The only redemption for Sansa now is that she is actually slow playing her hand and being one step ahead of LF. I highly doubt spymaster Arya hasn't already figured out LF by this point, Arya is well-trained and he spying has been done off screen. I saw a face that looked like the new maester, so it is a safe bet that he has been her this whole season. Think about it, that was the Bolton's maester - he should be dead in Arya's mind. But she can also wear faces of people who are alive so Arya probably spied on LF wearing the face of that girl she saw spying for LF. The girls conspire this whole plan to wrestle the Vale army away from LF and Robin.