Watch, Watched, Watching: Those Bloodthirsty Gods!

RedEyedGhost

I watched Prisoners. Like all the other Denis Villeneuve films I've seen it had some very tense scenes and some great performances from the actors (Hugh Jackman and Paul Dano in particular). It did a good job of making it difficult to know where the story was going to go next and in making it difficult to know whether or not Jackman's character's obsessive belief that he knew the identity of the kidnapper was justified. Overall I thought it was a good thriller although towards the end of the film some aspects of the plot started to feel a bit contrived.

I really liked The Meyerowitz Stories. It's extremely funny. Everyone in it was fantastic, particularly Dustin Hoffman and Adam Sandler. There's also a really beautiful young actress I hadn't seen before that turns out is Tim Van Patten's daughter, Grace. I remember thinking the trailer had a Wes Anderson feel to it, and it definitely does. Reminded me a lot of a less colorful, less quirky Royal Tenenbaums. Noah Baumbach has worked with Anderson on a couple films, and it definitely shows.

River. Miniseries from Netflix. This was pretty good actually. In some ways it's similar to True Detective but with a very different approach. Similar in a way that the two main characters have gone mad, but are brilliant at police work. True Detective may be more engaging and tense, but doesn't deliver on the ending as well. River was slow-paced but packed an emotional punch with its ending. It's no masterwork plotwise and some things felt a bit like filler and the story wasn't that engaging in all episodes. But as a character study it worked pretty damn well. The interactions between the characters is amazing and the dialogue is so well-written and well-delivered that the story doesn't matter. Stellan Skarsgård is masterful in his portrayal of a broken down man, who's seen as a nutcase by everyone but sees things the rest of society doesn't even care about. I'd recommend this to everyone who likes a good character study or police series. It's fresh and offers something new to a genre that doesn't often offer something original. 

Californication. The first two seasons. Amazing show. I tried watching this some years ago but stopped after season one. And now I can't really see why. These two first season have been masterful television. It's silly and whimsical at times, but that drives home the points and emotional scenes even better. And sometimes you just want to enjoy yourselves and not have a dark drama, and Californication works excellent as a dramedy. With Hank Moody and the character study intriguing more and more and the situations around him more and more ludicrous, I have to say this show is great. It really knows how to blend drama, sex and comedy. And it has excellent female characters and for once not an annoying teenager but an endearing one. So far only two seasons in and I've heard it goes downhill after a while but so far it's been some really good television. Makes me interested in seeing more X-Files. With the abundance of good television Californication isn't often mentioned, but I'd say it's a bit underrated and definitely worthwhile. Recommended blend of comedy and drama and interesting. 

Crazy Ex-girlfriend's new season is off to a great start. Very much enjoying it, I've rewatched the first two episodes twice each and still laughed each time. Seriously this show is great.

Finally getting around to watching The Defenders. So far it's meh. Less iron fist more Jessica please and thank you.

The latest Curb was the funniest of the season so far. Larry was going nuts the whole time, and Leon is the best. 

I watched a new movie called Super Dark Times the other day. A pretty bleak one about a group of teens in the 90's that go downhill after a gruesome incident takes place. It builds a lot of tension and portrays a pretty realistic look at a teen basically spiraling out of control. I recommend.

I'm watching Alien: Covenant and have an important question.  Was the flute scene supposed to be funny?  Because I was fucking dying at the "Watch me...I'll do the fingering" line.

This movie is trash, though.

Was going to watch Suburra but started Mindhunter because it seemed like something I was more in the mood for. The first episode was shaky but now I'm sucked in. The introduction of Ed Kemper was what ultimately hooked me and I've been reading more about it him as I make my way through the season. Liking the show a lot -- I read or heard somewhere that this was a procedural but that doesn't seem to do it justice. It's been a good character show so far. It has the feel of something that I can't quite put my finger on.... maybe Masters of Sex (though I've never actually seen a full season of MoS).

I’m currently watching the first series of Stranger Things, which I never got to when it first came out. It’s really good so far plus it’s probably got added appeal for people in a certain age bracket with all the 80s nostalgia.

10 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I’m currently watching the first series of Stranger Things, which I never got to when it first came out. It’s really good so far plus it’s probably got added appeal for people in a certain age bracket with all the 80s nostalgia.

I just started my rewatch of that last night. The first two episodes were as good as I remembered.

1 hour ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Watching An American Werewolf in London for the first time 

I think probably the best werewolf film ever made (at least out of those I've seen). I would advise against watching the belated "sequel" An American Werewolf in Paris which was terrible.

7 hours ago, williamjm said:

I think probably the best werewolf film ever made (at least out of those I've seen). I would advise against watching the belated "sequel" An American Werewolf in Paris which was terrible.

Okay I'll steer clear of that sequel.

My favourite werewolf movie is Company of Wolves.

Next to watch is The Howling...

Oh and I bloody LOVED An American Werewolf in London 

9 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

Okay I'll steer clear of that sequel.

My favourite werewolf movie is Company of Wolves.

Next to watch is The Howling...

Oh and I bloody LOVED An American Werewolf in London 

The best werewolf movie is Teen Wolf!

There's an ad I saw for the first time last night, for Green & Blacks chocolate which has a Red Riding Hood theme and my first thought was: I need to watch the Company of Wolves again. My second favourite werewolf film. Oh, my third favourite is Ginger Snaps. Presume you've seen it, Theda?

So I've been watching the Philip K Dick adaptations on C4. Quite enjoying them. Good performances and they've all been thought provoking. Is there a thread? There should be.

Archived