HBO's Westworld VII: Abort?.Retry.Fail

Spring Bass

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I understood that Shogun World was, in fact, more dangerous than Westworld. Perhaps guests could get cut with swords, though not killed, worse than they could be stung by bullets.

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well.  An alternative explanation to Leofric's is the blades are somehow blunted when engaging with a guest as opposed to a fellow host, but I dunno how that would work.  

3 minutes ago, Leofric said:

Well the hosts seem to have complete control of their motor functions, Ford can make them freeze in midmotion with a gesture, so there may be an override when a guest is truly in danger that would allow them to do react faster than normal to prevent injury, though I'm sure some accidents may still occur.

Yep, agreed.

Given what was said about Shogun World being more intense, I bet they're programmed to potentially give flesh wounds and slow-speed, shallow arrow wounds to guests. Nothing that couldn't be healed completely with their level of medical tech within a few hours, but enough to draw blood and make it seem more intense. We know they can basically heal cutting wounds completely without scarring using a hand tool. 

So I finally binged S2E1-8 and am all caught up. First, let me say I'm glad to know I'm not the only one frustrated by plot holes this season. Second, that frustration is often short lived as I'm absolutely hooked by these characters. The performances, cinematography, pacing, and music all make up for the plot holes. I cannot wait to see William's story in S2E9 and hopefully learn more about his daughter. That preview made it look pretty damn epic.

14 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I'm not that familiar with Native American folk tales or mythology, but there was definitely something very "Greek Tragedy" about Akecheta's story.  He sacrifices himself to journey into Hades to rescue the woman he loves only to find her soul has been destroyed.  Fuck me that's heavy.

Agreed. I immediately thought of Orpheus when he mentioned going below to find his love, but I'm sure other Greek tragedies have similarities to this episode, too. 

13 hours ago, DMBouazizi said:

Yeah, that's how I understood it as well.  An alternative explanation to Leofric's is the blades are somehow blunted when engaging with a guest as opposed to a fellow host, but I dunno how that would work.  

Yep, agreed.

It would probably be easier for them to have blunt swords and host's flesh self wounds in response but that tech does not appear to exist. Like others suggest it's probably split second adjustments avoiding injury to guest s.

I also took the "more bloodthirsty" comment in the show as a reflection on how guests treat hosts and hosts treat hosts. I suspect there's never any real danger for the guests. That obviously isn't the case once the safety measures are removed though.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Who is on board with the theory that Hale is Bernard's "son"? 

Can you provide a link or give us a run down? Because on the face of it it sounds too out there’s but I’m open to being persuaded

9 minutes ago, The Unborn said:

I don't see how that would be possible.

Bernard is literally Arnold, physically. I'm sure she would notice this guy is exactly how her dad was, 30 years ago. 

Right, if she, is Arnolds' son, he/she was 7-8(?) or so when we see him sick in the bed? He would recognize his dad if he saw him, or saw a host exactly like him 25 years later. Not to mention his/her mom or relative would have kept the pictures of Arnold around. Hale was shocked to see that Bernard was a host, doesn't fit.

While i think the show has faltered a little this year, I have high confidence they won't do anything as stupid as Charlotte Hale as Arnold's child.  I would like to see her character have a little more dimension than stock corporate evil overlord, but not like that.

22 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I would like to see her character have a little more dimension than stock corporate evil overlord, but not like that.

I know we know have the like button again, but this.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

While i think the show has faltered a little this year, I have high confidence they won't do anything as stupid as Charlotte Hale as Arnold's child.  I would like to see her character have a little more dimension than stock corporate evil overlord, but not like that.

Same. Her as Arnold's kid would be...awful. 

It did occur to me, for a fleeting moment, watching the preview trailer, [and I am pretty sure this is wrong], but it flashed in my mind that maybe William "helped" along his wife's suicide in some way...since he's telling her basically that she is the only person who sees through him...that sounds like a strong, perceptive woman, not someone who gives up in the bathtub.

8 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It did occur to me, for a fleeting moment, watching the preview trailer, [and I am pretty sure this is wrong], but it flashed in my mind that maybe William "helped" along his wife's suicide in some way...since he's telling her basically that she is the only person who sees through him...that sounds like a strong, perceptive woman, not someone who gives up in the bathtub.

He didn't have any reason to lie to Lawrence when he told him about his wife's death last season, so I'd assume that he was telling the truth.

11 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Can you provide a link or give us a run down? Because on the face of it it sounds too out there’s but I’m open to being persuaded

Here's one of the few threads on it. I dont read reddit normally but heard this one on apodcast and thought is was interesting - 

16 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

We've been told she was afraid of William. After the host Jim Delos scenes I wondered if she wasn't afraid of him because of his violent nature, but rather because she did not like the idea of a more compliant robot version of her taking her place. Or just replacing her after she died naturally. 

The whole episode I kept thinking to myself, what exactly is Ake's plan here? Find his wife, take her to the door, somehow make it through Delos to the outside world and then what exactly? get a job in Starbucks?

Also, as I've found my interest waning this season I haven't really been playing close attention... but where exactly does Ford exist right now? He no longer has a physical form so he uploaded his mind to where exactly? as a part of Bernard? does that mean he gets erased if/when they pull the plug on Bernard ?

Archived