Jump to content
Ramsay B.

Watch, Watched, Watching: The Art of the Rewatch edition

Recommended Posts

Counterpart season 2 premiered Sunday. Can't wait to watch it when I have time in my schedule. Season 1 was my favorite series of 2018. Very well done.

About halfway through NatGeo's MARS.  Interesting direction the series took in season 2 with the private sector getting involved in the colonization and exploration of the Red Planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Triskele said:

Just starting the new 1983 on Netflix.  Definitely never watched a Polish language show before.  

I watched the penultimate episode this morning. Good series but I'm more intrigued by the alternative history in the background and a side story than I am in the main storyline. I feel the main story has been done before and better. I'm hoping the buried storyline comes to the forefront in the finale or is at least set up for a possible second season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Killing Them Softly for the first time since it came out. What a waste of a great cast. I mean it’s not horrible but just thought it could’ve been so much better. The whole economic collapse bit was over the top too.

I actually teared up when Michael Scott leaves Scranton and the show during my rewatch. What a legend. I got like 3 episodes into season 8 and tapped out. The thrill is gone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I watched Killing Them Softly for the first time since it came out. What a waste of a great cast. I mean it’s not horrible but just thought it could’ve been so much better. The whole economic collapse bit was over the top too.

I actually teared up when Michael Scott leaves Scranton and the show during my rewatch. What a legend. I got like 3 episodes into season 8 and tapped out. The thrill is gone.

Completely agree with both. I barely remember Killing Them Softly, but I do recall being underwhelmed considering the cast. At first I thought maybe Andrew Dominik’s films just weren’t for me as I found Jessie James a little too slow the first time I saw it, but I really changed my mind on that one after a second viewing. 

And yeah, The Office was just not the same without Carell. The James Spader episodes are particularly bad. It did manage to have a pretty great finale though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished 1983 and was more than satisfied with the finale. It sets up a possible second season. As I wrote a few posts above, I was more interested in the story in the background for most of the series and less so in the season's main storyline. It would be interesting to get a Polish take on the series.

The season 2 premiere of Counterpart was good. I'm happy to have it back as part of my weekly viewing. If highly recommend this series. Great story, great cast and acting, extremely well-written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took the family to see Elf at the theater Sunday. The show was over half full at 145pm for a 10 year old movie. Fun time, lots of people were dressed in Christmas sweaters etc.  Hadn't watched Elf in years so had some surprise moments in it, especially seeing Tyrion as the childrens author. All in all a good time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else watching The First? I liked the first couple of episodes but then it started dragging for me. I find there is too much in depth interpersonal stuff happening concerning characters that we haven't been sufficiently induced to care about. I think I am up to ep 5 (there's another three left). (also not enough stuff about space/in space)

But more importantly... Fortitude is back! I'be only seen one episiode so far but it is just as weird as I expected. Will polish off the rest this weekend. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Isis said:

Is anyone else watching The First? I liked the first couple of episodes but then it started dragging for me. I find there is too much in depth interpersonal stuff happening concerning characters that we haven't been sufficiently induced to care about. I think I am up to ep 5 (there's another three left). (also not enough stuff about space/in space)

But more importantly... Fortitude is back! I'be only seen one episiode so far but it is just as weird as I expected. Will polish off the rest this weekend. :)

I noticed there's only 4 episodes of fortitude so my plan is to binge it when i get back to Birmingham after Xmas. It'll enhance the general horror and feeling of isolation.

Haven't even heard of the first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Isis said:

Is anyone else watching The First? I liked the first couple of episodes but then it started dragging for me. I find there is too much in depth interpersonal stuff happening concerning characters that we haven't been sufficiently induced to care about. I think I am up to ep 5 (there's another three left). (also not enough stuff about space/in space)

 

I watched it.  The first few episodes were the best true.  I enjoyed it by the end.  Perhaps it'll do well enough that the budget to do Mars stuff will be there for next season.

I'm enjoying National Geographic's Mars series a lot more.  The first season might have been a little unaffecting, but second season is a big improvement I think.  Sort of how the first season of Vikings I was meh on because it seemed to be just an anthropologist's checklist of things to dramatize about medieval Norse society, then season two was a vast improvement.  Of course we all know it's not that good anymore.  Hopefully Mars will keep up the quality.

Edited by SpaceChampion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wife and I finished up Broadchurch and the latest season was definitely not as enjoyable as the first two.  It was basically Broadchurch SVU, which I get because how can a sleepy town have multiple murder mysteries.  Characters were still great, but I just don't like rape as a plot.

Finished up S1 of Frontier, and it's pretty good.  I'm not hugely invested in it, but it's ok as some background noise.

Then we binged Sinner: Cora last weekend, which was ridiculously improbable throughout most of the show, yet was still somehow gripping.  Now we're going through our annual Christmas movie list: finish up the last 2 Harry Potters, Elf, Scrooged, and Love, Actually.  Then we'll either start The Last Kingdom, since my wife hasn't seen it, or our GoT rewatch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit the bullet and watched Roma on Netflix at the first opportunity rather than the theater.  It was pretty great and lived up to the hype.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, aceluby said:

Wife and I finished up Broadchurch and the latest season was definitely not as enjoyable as the first two.  It was basically Broadchurch SVU, which I get because how can a sleepy town have multiple murder mysteries.  Characters were still great, but I just don't like rape as a plot.

Finished up S1 of Frontier, and it's pretty good.  I'm not hugely invested in it, but it's ok as some background noise.

Then we binged Sinner: Cora last weekend, which was ridiculously improbable throughout most of the show, yet was still somehow gripping.  Now we're going through our annual Christmas movie list: finish up the last 2 Harry Potters, Elf, Scrooged, and Love, Actually.  Then we'll either start The Last Kingdom, since my wife hasn't seen it, or our GoT rewatch.

Broadchurch declined with each season imo. Season one was excellent though.

Go for the Last Kingdom. Season 3 was fantastic. You shouldn’t be disappointed.

 

currently watching Mowgli: legend of the jungle. Didn’t have time to watch all in one go sic im about halfway through now. Enjoying it so far, animation is very good, the voice acting everything you would expect from such a talented cast. One thing I would urge for laughs, watch the intro and think back tovFellowship of the Ring :laugh: @Risto will appreciate it

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched Split, partly because the trailer for Glass looked interesting so I thought I should see this first.

It's an interesting film, I think the highlight is James McAvoy's performance where he seems to be having great fun with the roles, Anya Taylor-Joy was also good. The claustrophobic scenes with the imprisoned girls are the most effective part of the film, but the scenes with the psychiatrist felt a bit mediocre in comparison. I'm not quite sure how I feel about the ending, there's something a bit unsatisfying about how the final confrontation ends. The post-credit scene did set up an interesting scenario for the next film, but it was done in a very clunky way.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Broadchurch declined with each season imo. Season one was excellent though.

The first season was great, but I didn't watch the rest because it didn't feel like a story that needed a sequel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Imma just copy paste from the other thread.

Saw Aquaman two days ago. The acting is far worse than in Marvel films, but it has that 90s Mortal Kombat film haminess that makes it fun. It's the Power Rangers/Indiana Jones/Jurassic Park film I always wanted to see.

Lots of spectacle and special effects. I saw it in Imax without 3D and I was very happy I did. If id seen it with 3D my eyes would have probably gone to hell.

I would give it a 7/10, but I will give it an 8/10 instead for it's conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just saw Aquaman and it was a pleasant surprise. The plot was actually quite interesting and unpredictable to a certain point where the writers either lost their patience or ran out of coffee. From then on, it got pretty wobbly. But it was overall entertaining and enjoyable and  the acting was waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than I expected. 

I went to the cinema to drool over Jason Momoa and ended up actually enjoying a decent film. 

Solid 7.5 / 10, it was good for what it was. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

currently watching Mowgli: legend of the jungle. Didn’t have time to watch all in one go sic im about halfway through now. Enjoying it so far, animation is very good, the voice acting everything you would expect from such a talented cast. One thing I would urge for laughs, watch the intro and think back tovFellowship of the Ring :laugh: @Risto will appreciate it

I had to go and watch it :D And it didn't disappoint. :wub:

Edited by Risto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched Hot Summer Nights. It’s a coming of age movie set in the 90’s about a kid that becomes a drug dealer. It was just ok. Maika Monroe and the soundtrack were the highlights. 

Also finished Blackadder for the first time. It’s definitely very funny, but maybe didn’t quite live up to all the hype I’ve heard about it over the years. I liked seasons 2 & 4 the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Risto said:

I had to go and watch it :D And it didn't disappoint. :wub:

Finished it up too and loved it. Did you enjoy the narration? Think about the content too, she could almost be talking about LOTR :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Finished it up too and loved it. Did you enjoy the narration? Think about the content too, she could almost be talking about LOTR :lol:

Certainly... Will finish the movie tomorrow. The hate it got makes me want to watch it even more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×