U.S. Politics: 5.7 Billion Problems But The House Ain't One

Jace, Extat

4 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Did I just hear Trump talk about a high tech, steel, and see through wall? 

Chain link fencing is high tech? Or does Trump think there is such a thing as see through steel plates? 

The only way my estimation of Trump's intelligence could be any lower is if he also has a Nixon tattoo on his back.

His fence is a fancy row of steel slats with spaces in between, presumably so rats can still squeeze through the spaces into the US.

15 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

So make it indirect. Fee the states on 10% of the assets of their residents with more than 50 million. Offer an 80% discount (only 2%) if they have a state law wealth tax of 2% on their residents.

The state assesses the taxes on the people, the feds fee the states, everyone's unhappy, massive disincentive from states to try to be the one the state that doesn't have it and the money still gets collected.

I'd still think warren's tax is small potatos compared to removing the step up in basis as well as the capital gains preferential rates.

Not sure that works under Article I Section 8 or Articl 1 Section 9.  In particular such a tax would not be proportionate to the census, and not sure that the form would disguise the substance here in any case.

But you know that my soap box includes both removing the capital gains preference and requiring a real estate tax (that is I don't have a problem with  a basis step up if income tax is assessed, but it usually isn't).  

Well the Senate conferees for the conference negotiation with the House on border security have been named:

GOP Shelby Capito Hoeven Blunt

DEM Leahy Durbin Tester

For the GOP, Shelby and Hoeven know how to cut deals with Democrats, Capito is very slightly to the moderate side of the exact center of the caucus, and Blunt is a close McConnell ally. Based on those four being picked, and no immigration hardliners like Cotton or Cruz, it sure looks like McConnell is desperate to get any sort of deal with House Democrats done and isn't trying to score points or make a show.

Leahy, Durbin, and Tester don't matter, except in that none are going to be running for President so they no incentive to potentially disrupt an agreement. Not that they have any real power here, it's the House Democratic conferees that'll matter.

2 hours ago, James Arryn said:

Is there any way this whole life is just some satirical dream I’m having? Backtats of Nixon...my lord.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

Don't you know? The Mayans had the right of it, the world really did end in 2012. Our current reality is just a fevre dream of Cthulhu. 

I can't wait for the novel in the vein of Gravity's Rainbow mixed with Delillo's Underworld that uses both the 2012 thing and the Roger Stone Nixon tattoo as vignettes.  Shit is gonna be killer!

“This language is very different from other language we have seen Mueller use,” she told POLITICO. “He usually is careful to use some identifying language so that the person can be referenced easily. One reasonable inference is that the person who directed the senior campaign official is someone who cannot be indicted: the president himself.”

The juiciest morsel in Mueller’s charges against Roger Stone
The special counsel offered the clearest evidence to date of the Trump campaign’s alleged attempts to cooperate with WikiLeaks.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/25/roger-stone-charges-mueller-1127624

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Ah but recall that in Vietnam there were still intentions to 'occupy'. Which discourages the kind of strategy I am positing will become the new standard in open warfare. 

You don't need to occupy a people to destroy their capability to make war or defend themselves or eat. 

The eating is the important part. 

HA!

Goddamn betcha that is true.

3 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:
5 hours ago, aceluby said:

I have some faith in our courts.

HA!

Double triple etc. Jace's HA!

Where has this person been living for the last two years?

A back tattoo of Nixon? The next logical step is a "Trump stamp".

I'd be interested to see if this white flag waving by Trump will improve his numbers. A lot of the right wing blogsphere appears disgusted by it but that may not reflect the attitude of most of his base (who will probably respond with an indifferent shrug)

Bill Maher has got Ann Coulter on tonight, at the top of show interview, not on the panel - until Overtime on Youtube.

I usually groan just like the audience groaned last week when Maher mentioned she was booked for this week, but tonight, I'm interested to see this.

ETA:

Ohhhhh, he stepped in shit tonight. You don't go after comic geeks.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

A back tattoo of Nixon? The next logical step is a "Trump stamp".

I'd be interested to see if this white flag waving by Trump will improve his numbers. A lot of the right wing blogsphere appears disgusted by it but that may not reflect the attitude of most of his base (who will probably respond with an indifferent shrug)

Yeah it’s likely the vast majority of people who want the wall will not hold back their vote for Trump. Even Coulter will probably be singing him praises again relatively soon.  I suspect, within a couple months, this shut-down fiasco will be in the back of most people’s minds.  I

3 hours ago, drawkcabi said:

Bill Maher has got Ann Coulter on tonight, at the top of show interview, not on the panel - until Overtime on Youtube.

I usually groan just like the audience groaned last week when Maher mentioned she was booked for this week, but tonight, I'm interested to see this.

ETA:

Ohhhhh, he stepped in shit tonight. You don't go after comic geeks.

God his comments are just pretentious. You like comic-books? You’re a child. You should only like grown-up, totally mature things like family guy. And to add on to his pretentiousness he’s flat-out ignorant of the type of media he’s criticizing. Comic-books have never been just for kids. The debut of Robin featured parents getting murdered, by a gangster had said gangster push a guy to his death on panel(while Robin took a picture) and Batman declare the gangster is going to be executed. But oh no comic-books are totes just for kids.

I can't believe the idea the State of the Union had anything to do with Trump's capitulation has gained as much traction as it has in this thread.  Uh, no.  Trump lost because he adopted a losing position, and because he's a loser.

6 hours ago, Fez said:

Leahy, Durbin, and Tester don't matter, except in that none are going to be running for President so they no incentive to potentially disrupt an agreement. Not that they have any real power here, it's the House Democratic conferees that'll matter.

That's not true.  Any deal will need the Senate Dem leadership's acquiescence.  

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

I can't believe the idea the State of the Union had anything to do with Trump's capitulation has gained as much traction as it has in this thread.  Uh, no.  Trump lost because he adopted a losing position, and because he's a loser.

I figured that the narrative would be more along the lines of Trump capitulated to distract from Stone's arrest rather than him capitulating because he couldn't do the SOTU.

Yeah my brother thought the same thing.  He doesn't follow politics much.  Stone getting indicted was something not only he knew was inevitable, but seemed to welcome.  Sometimes there just are coincidences.

Holy shit I just listened to Trump's concession speech and the shit about human trafficking is right up there with some of the dumbest shit he's ever said.   

I think this might actually be the point he loses the backing of his base and his congressional support starts to crack up.

ETA:. Anyone see Anne Coulter's proposal to fix immigration?  Hilarious

So in the day after, it seems as if most media outlets, conservative and liberal alike, are spinning this as a Trump loss and/or a Democrat (Nancy Pelosi) win. Even if this is only a three week stop gap measure, this seems like a pretty big blemish on Trump's bargaining power going forward. Democrats may not be so lucky as to have such an easy mark issue next time, but this sets an incredible tone going forward. 

6 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Comic-books have never been just for kids. 

He's not really saying that, tho. He's more going after adults who think Marvel Comics and movies are profound works of art.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

That's not true.  Any deal will need the Senate Dem leadership's acquiescence.  

Well, yeah, but there's not been any daylight between Pelosi and Schumer yet on this issue.

Archived