Watched, Watching & Rewatch Redux

Zorral

And now I watched Green Book. It was a lovable and entertaining film but far from anything unique or catharctic. It was the kind of straight-A schoolkid who is the best in their class, but still not Ivy Leauge material. The kind of performance you can't really criticize but it's still missing the X factor. What other lame metaphor can I conjure up to describe this? 

I was really hoping it would earn Viggo an Oscar, but having watched the movie, no I don't think he's gonna get it and as much as I love him, I can live with that decision. Well, if anybody is to blame for performance's not being Oscar-worthy, I would say it was the director. I mean there were these beautiful, subtle, refined scenes where you could see how complex and layered emotions he can deliver. And there were those moments when, I presume, he was told to overdo it? The narration of his letters versus his overdone accent in certain scenes, for instance. I can't be the judge of the accent he did linguistically, but during the letter narration (and some other scenes too) I believed that I'm listening to this uneducated, rough on the edges, but good hearted man, and then during some of his car monologues I was just like, why are we overexaggerating this working class Italian persona? Oh well. I actually preferred his Eastern Promises performance that also got an Oscar nomination.  (But I won't deny my little fangirl heart would explode if Khal Drogo and Daenerys were to present Aragorn with an Oscar tomorrow.)

The one thing I found outstandingly admirable in terms of writing is that they answered basically every question that popped into my mind while watching the film, they touched on every dimension of the topic they were discussing and they even quartered back to fill potential plotholes. That rarely ever happens anymore, so much respect to whoever took care of that. 

Watching Life Itself, about halfway through and it's alright.  But the reason I'm commenting before finishing is that it has Oscar Isaac in it, with Mandy Patinkin as his father which I think is just a brilliant casting decision. 

On 2/20/2019 at 6:52 PM, dbunting said:

Finished S1 of The man in the High Castle. One or two episodes into S2 and it's taken a turn that is turning me off.

Hide contents

What drew me into S1 was a reimagining of the world if Germany and Japan won WWII. Now it's going in a direction of multiple universes? 

Anyone out there watched this show care to comment in spoiler tags if this is what it ends up being all about? If so it may be the end of it for me.

Yeah, that's what it's all about.  Although, the entirety of season 1 was about setting that stage, so... 

2 hours ago, briantw said:

This scene in season five absolutely kills me every time:

O Lordessa -- I'd forgotten that!  But then I think I've tried to blank out everything about that particular subplot stream.  Too little time, too few episodes -- they did do pretty good with those handicaps.  But there was no time to think this one through, was there.  So this scene is brilliant in several meta manners!

Watched the first 2 1/2 episodes of Suburra, season 2.  So far it is not gripping me at all, unlike the first season. None of the characters blaze out for the viewers, while there had been some in the first season. Even Samurai is dull. 

Spoiler

Livia was the only one with a spark, but she had very little to do and then she was revealed to be incestuous and she was killed by the end of the second episode. WTF?

2 hours ago, briantw said:

This scene in season five absolutely kills me every time:

Love that scene. Might be the 2nd funniest scene in the Wire behind only Cheese's "Man ya'll some cold ass motherfuckers man."

So I finally finished the Punisher S2. It was a chore to get through and I'm not sure I'd watch a Season 3 even if one aired. I'm not sure there was a single plotline that I found entertaining or compelling and the fight scenes were underwhelming compared to Daredevil. 

12 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Idk, Omar testifying against Bird is up there, too. 

That's probably my personal favorite.

Also love the first scene in season five:

Always crack up when they call Landsman "professor" and he's wearing those glasses, and the payoff to the lie detector bit is probably the single biggest laugh in the series. 

Really, though, the humor in The Wire rarely gets talked about, but when the show wants to be funny it usually delivers. 

23 minutes ago, briantw said:

That's probably my personal favorite.

Also love the first scene in season five:

Always crack up when they call Landsman "professor" and he's wearing those glasses, and the payoff to the lie detector bit is probably the single biggest laugh in the series. 

Really, though, the humor in The Wire rarely gets talked about, but when the show wants to be funny it usually delivers. 

Best part about that scene is that, according to Simon's book iirc, it was an actual interrogation tactic used by the BPD and it actually worked.

2 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Best part about that scene is that, according to Simon's book iirc, it was an actual interrogation tactic used by the BPD and it actually worked.

Haha that's great.  The fact that he was a crime reporter for the Sun undoubtedly made the series what it was.  

Also, the season five credit song can fuck off.  Easily the worst of all five seasons.

I really like ESPN's 30 for 30.  I finally had a chance to watch the Bobby Knight documentary, The Last Days of Knight.  Growing up in central Illinois, I always hated the Indiana Hoosiers.  Even as a kid, I knew Knight was an arrogant, out-of-control prick.  Now I fully understand why I thought that.

Recently, I also watched Seau (about Junior Seau) and The Two Bills (about Bill Parcells and Bill Belichick).  Next, I plan to binge as many of their short documentaries as I can find.

I like a couple of the Crackle shows... Snatch is a lot of fun, and Start-up is excellent... but holy cow is "The Oath" a steamy, tightly coiled pile of dog shit... It's written so badly, absurdly unrealistic, and its so utterly devoid of subtext that the only way to watch it is to MST3K it in real time... 

Finally watched the last season of luther. What a jolly ending. Fucking ridiculous though. The least 'real' police show I've ever seen. 

About to start s2 of the deuce. Loved season 1. 

My wife also wants to watch the Mick for Kaitlin Olson but I don't have high hopes.  

I’m watching Killing Eve. What a weird weird experience.

The plot is a trainwreck, completely irrealistic and ridiculous, the characterization is terribly poor and Eve is such a shitty person (who also makes no sense). But there’s Villanelle who is so fun and so creatively created. It’s basically this character and Jodie Comer’s performance that carries the show on its shoulders. And the great music and the European vibe that comes with her. 

5 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

Everyone should watch Triangle (2009), I've been waiting, so far in vain, for it to become a cult favorite...so doing my part here.

Looking at my Netflix account, it appears I watched that in 2010.  Can't remember a single thing about it, but I did give it four stars.

Archived