MCUniverse: Cat Scratch Fever edition.

Red Tiger

1 hour ago, sifth said:

A friend linked me to an interesting spoiler pick last month.

Reveal hidden contents

I'll just say things don't go very well for Carol when she fights Thanos and leave it at that. 

Spoiler

That line of hers sets things up for that outcome in her first encounter with Thanos. It's too obvious a set up, for being taken down a peg, because if it's not then it opens her up to accusations of being a Mary Sue, ever since her powers got unleashed.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

No one complains when Thor or Tony says stuff like that, though I suppose they have this humor in their voice, while Carol doesn't. 

Thor: "And he's never fought me"

Rocket: "Yeah, he has"

Thor: "He's never fought me twice" 

Complete stubborn arrogance, but delivered in a humorous way.

But that's Thor trying to keep himself going after losing pretty much everything.  He's desperately trying to keep hold of his brash God of Thunder persona, because if he doesn't he'll just collapse from the horror of it all.  Chris Hemsworth is amazing in this scene: showing just how close Thor is to completely losing it.

15 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I mean she literally beats spaceships out of the sky with her fists and flies across space as easy as you or i blink, and has seen and done who knows what awesome stuff for 25 years. i think some arrogance is pretty damn justified

Well what has she been doing for 25 years?  The Guardians of the Galaxy saved the galaxy twice in that time. Thor saved the Realms.  The Avengers and various individual heroes saved the Earth a few times.  I guess she might have been saving the galaxy to the left of ours.  But you can’t really blame the people in that room in that clip for being dubious.

More rewatching thoughts

Civil War - probably my favourite of the whole franchise but this film has an even dafter plot than Cap 2, imo. The whole thing relies on Zemo’s masterful feat of understanding the psychology of Stark and Rogers and predicting events in a frankly impossible way.

Homecoming - Discussed upthread how it kind of renders the whole fuss of the previous film irrelevant with the extremely loose way the Sokovia Accords are applied.  Parker’s invited to join the Avengers at the end, who are the Avengers at this point?  Just Stark, Rhodey and Vision?  And they’re having a press conference about the teenager joining?That’s sad.

Doc Strange - Better a second time but still not that great.  Starts off at the time of Rhodes’ accident from Civil War (also confirms Rhodes is 35 years old which is bullshit) and then he spends a year searching and an indeterminate time studying before vanquishing Dormammu. Seems a very tight timeline to fit all that in before Ragnarok.

GoTG2 - Again better the second time but still pretty poor, imo. Some great sequences but I really don’t like the storyline where the hero acquires great power for no particular reason.  Yondu’s rehabilitation was well done but didn’t make much sense.  The Ravagers are supposed to be evil.  And either Quill was abused by his captor as a child or he’s a liar that goes around telling people he was abused as a child.  Baby Groot’s good though.

Re-watched the The Avengers. Fury touched the Tesseract with his hand (does it matter he had a glove on?) It was right after Loki came through, so maybe the Tesseract became inactive, and couldn't harm anyone.

The biggest retcon Captain Marvel did is connected with The Avengers. Fury clearly states that the secret weapons were being made because of the conflict in the first Thor film, when it was revealed to humans that they're not alone and are dealing with big threats. Also, it implies that Fury didn't know what the Tesseract was an energy source prior to Dr. Selvig working with it.

42 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Re-watched the The Avengers. Fury touched the Tesseract with his hand (does it matter he had a glove on?) It was right after Loki came through, so maybe the Tesseract became inactive, and couldn't harm anyone.

The biggest retcon Captain Marvel did is connected with The Avengers. Fury clearly states that the secret weapons were being made because of the conflict in the first Thor film, when it was revealed to humans that they're not alone and are dealing with big threats. Also, it implies that Fury didn't know what the Tesseract was an energy source prior to Dr. Selvig working with it.

I still find it strange that Fury didn’t call up Carol during the events of the Avengers or Age of Ultron. I guess the Earth nearly getting destroyed doesn’t count as an emergency in his eyes/eye, lol

1 hour ago, john said:

Homecoming - Discussed upthread how it kind of renders the whole fuss of the previous film irrelevant with the extremely loose way the Sokovia Accords are applied.  Parker’s invited to join the Avengers at the end, who are the Avengers at this point?  Just Stark, Rhodey and Vision?  And they’re having a press conference about the teenager joining?That’s sad.

I had never considered this!

It seems a bit desperate on Tony's part from  this interpretation.  The Avengers are a big deal, but, as you say, they are somewhat diminished at this point.  So Tony hypes up their New Recruit by staging a massive press conference to prove to the world that the team is still relevant.

35 minutes ago, sifth said:

I still find it strange that Fury didn’t call up Carol during the events of the Avengers or Age of Ultron. I guess the Earth nearly getting destroyed doesn’t count as an emergency in his eyes/eye, lol

Well, the Avengers Initiative is something Fury starts precisely because Carol isn't available. So, having started the Avengers to deal with threats while Carol is gone, it would be a bit pointless to call her home instead of using his alternative first. 

14 minutes ago, mormont said:

Well, the Avengers Initiative is something Fury starts precisely because Carol isn't available. So, having started the Avengers to deal with threats while Carol is gone, it would be a bit pointless to call her home instead of using his alternative first. 

Yet that team was still in a very experimental stage during most of the first film. I mean Phil’s death is the only thing that causes them to unite as a team. 

I mean we’re talking about an alien invasion, an evil god and a nuke going off at the same time.

edit: you know what screw it. I’m doing the “no fun police” thing again. I have this issue with nearly all prequels and it’s stupid of me to have it...........it just works, it always just works.

In preparation for Endgame I rewatched Infinity War, and it was still straight up a great movie. Where I did notice some cracks however is just in how much it feels like a collection of awesome scenes stitched together which sort of create a narrative. That is always going to be the issue with a movie with so many different moving cogs, but you do tend to notice how it just seems to jump around.

It felt more like an episode of GoT in that regard..

.. that seems like a massive burn, but I still think IW is great.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

In preparation for Endgame I rewatched Infinity War, and it was still straight up a great movie. Where I did notice some cracks however is just in how much it feels like a collection of awesome scenes stitched together which sort of create a narrative. That is always going to be the issue with a movie with so many different moving cogs, but you do tend to notice how it just seems to jump around.

It felt more like an episode of GoT in that regard..

.. that seems like a massive burn, but I still think IW is great.

I love IW, but the biggest plot hole will always be Banner being able to remember Thanos, when he only ever meets him as The Hulk.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

I love IW, but the biggest plot hole will always be Banner being able to remember Thanos, when he only ever meets him as The Hulk.

We don't at what point Banner turned into the Hulk during Thanos's attack of the ship. He could have been Banner all the way to the point where Loki says "We have a Hulk".

5 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

We don't at what point Banner turned into the Hulk during Thanos's attack of the ship. He could have been Banner all the way to the point where Loki says "We have a Hulk".

I’d agree with you if he wasn’t still The Hulk at the end of TR and in constant fear during that movie, that if he turned into  The Hulk again, he’d never turn back.

38 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

It seems a bit desperate on Tony's part from  this interpretation.  The Avengers are a big deal, but, as you say, they are somewhat diminished at this point.  So Tony hypes up their New Recruit by staging a massive press conference to prove to the world that the team is still relevant.

Presumably Rhodes is still recovering too, so it’s really just Tony and his android.  At least he managed to get back with Pepper.

20 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Doctor Strange takes place long before civil war. That’s not Warmachine they’re talking about.

Yeah, you’re right, apparently that’s not Rhodes. Seems like an unnecessary confusion but ok.

Timeline is still screwed up though.  Strange is first mentioned in Winter Soldier (2014) as being on Hydra’s watchlist, long before he should have started studying magic.  Then in the his film there is a shot of Avengers tower in NYC so at least some time around Age of Ultron or later.  Seems tight to become the master of the mystical arts by Ragnarok (2017).

8 minutes ago, john said:

Presumably Rhodes is still recovering too, so it’s really just Tony and his android.  At least he managed to get back with Pepper.

Yeah, you’re right, apparently that’s not Rhodes. Seems like an unnecessary confusion but ok.

Timeline is still screwed up though.  Strange is first mentioned in Winter Soldier (2014) as being on Hydra’s watchlist, long before he should have started studying magic.  Then in the his film there is a shot of Avengers tower in NYC so at least some time around Age of Ultron or later.  Seems tight to become the master of the mystical arts by Ragnarok (2017).

Hydra was using Zola's algorithm to find people that could become a problem for them at some point, so Strange didn't need to be a magic practitioner yet to be on their hit list. That being said, I think that was just an Easter egg for fans, and other names could have been dropped in that context.

16 minutes ago, sifth said:

I’d agree with you if he wasn’t still The Hulk at the end of TR and in constant fear during that movie, that if he turned into  The Hulk again, he’d never turn back.

Yeah, you may be right about the plot hole. The Hulk-Banner dynamic is a bit wonky right now, and one of the things that needs to be resolved in Endgame.

1 hour ago, sifth said:

Maybe he did page her, but the Avengers were able to handle it before she arrived, so he sent her a follow up message, "Never mind, we got this."

The events in Avengers weren't an issue she would be needed for until Loki opened the portal for the actual alien invasion, and that was over within a couple hours, so not enough time for her to really get a message and then do something about it.   The same with Age of Ultron,  a renegade robot is stealing things, not something worth calling her for.   It isn't until they find Ultron in Sokovia that the scale of his plan is realized, and again it is resolved within a day.  

49 minutes ago, sifth said:

The biggest plothole has got to be 2 guys and 1 kid "bringing the fight" and the time stone to Thanos on an unknown planet far away from any form of help or assistance. 

6 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

But that's Thor trying to keep himself going after losing pretty much everything.  He's desperately trying to keep hold of his brash God of Thunder persona, because if he doesn't he'll just collapse from the horror of it all.  Chris Hemsworth is amazing in this scene: showing just how close Thor is to completely losing it.

Yeah I really liked how they took a beat to have that scene.  It was appreciated, especially in a movie that basically was necessarily not allowed to take a beat.

3 hours ago, john said:

Well what has she been doing for 25 years?  The Guardians of the Galaxy saved the galaxy twice in that time. Thor saved the Realms.  The Avengers and various individual heroes saved the Earth a few times.  I guess she might have been saving the galaxy to the left of ours.  But you can’t really blame the people in that room in that clip for being dubious.

At that rate, she's obviously saved the galaxy at least a hundred times.  In all seriousness, her response makes perfect sense - not every planet has the Avengers, or even the Guardians (who, it should be mentioned, really aren't all that more powerful that your average defenses).

3 hours ago, Corvinus said:

It was right after Loki came through, so maybe the Tesseract became inactive, and couldn't harm anyone.

Huh?  Isn't the Tesseract very (very) active later in the movie?  Good points on the Captain Marvel retconning the first Avengers.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

I still find it strange that Fury didn’t call up Carol during the events of the Avengers or Age of Ultron.

I've thought about this.  For the first Avengers, I don't think it's warranted.  All that actually happens is a single city is attacked, and the heroes fight off in, like, hours.  For Ultron though, yeah, they were moments away from the world being destroyed.  Fury shoulda used the pager.

Archived