MCUniverse: The Town Hall Meeting of the Post-Blippers *mild spoilers*

Jeor

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Almost positive this still isn't part of the MCU, but here's the New Mutants trailer. 

Saw this in my Twitter feed earlier today.  Its decidedly the last hurrah of the FoX-Men Universe.

4 hours ago, Rhom said:

Saw this in my Twitter feed earlier today.  Its decidedly the last hurrah of the FoX-Men Universe.

They should be grateful they get a second chance at a last goodbye. Because Dark Phoenix was poo.

eta: i do think this looks pretty good though, and looks like another of those superhero films where you dont need to see 100000 films bbefore hand to appreciate. Which appeals to me

Huh.

Dr. Strange 2 director quits/is fired over creative differences.

I don't really know much about Derrickson nor was I a huge fan of the first one. But it's kinda disappointing this is still happening over there. He did tweet something weeks ago about wanting to push back the release date but Marvel wouldn't let him. 

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

I’ve heard he has a big of an ego, no planet pun intended, but who knows. Waiting to see replaces him before I panic.

I'd love to hear about producers and directors who don't have a big ego. That really seems like part of the job description - you're basically being told to tell everyone what to do, that your vision is the right one, and that's what they pay you for. 

This, IMO, is a big reason SW has such a problem - no one cares if Dr Strange 2 doesn't do amazingly, any more than they cared about Ant  Man and the Wasp. It'll be a fun ,forgettable movie. When you're pumping out 22+ movies or so, it doesn't matter how well one of them does provided it doesn't do horrifyingly bad. Mediocre is fine.

Was he insisting that one of the universes be a breast feeding universe?   "It's essential to what we're trying to do here!  Seeing it is what reminds Wanda she's lost her TV children and it drives her over the edge!   And the scene includes a tit-for-tat joke I'm not willing to compromise on."

Ron Howard used to be the amazing guy.  People would describe him as amazing in the same sentence they called him Opie.

Dr Strange 1 was one of my least favourite Marvel movies, but there seemed to a lot of buzz that the second one would be a big improvement, that it would be much more trippy and insane. That seemed quite exciting, so it's a shame that this has happened.

Maybe he was being too daring with it? Maybe the Disney execs have again gotten scared and will hire someone to come in and play it safe?

On 1/9/2020 at 9:57 PM, Kalbear said:

I'd love to hear about producers and directors who don't have a big ego. That really seems like part of the job description - you're basically being told to tell everyone what to do, that your vision is the right one, and that's what they pay you for. 

This, IMO, is a big reason SW has such a problem - no one cares if Dr Strange 2 doesn't do amazingly, any more than they cared about Ant  Man and the Wasp. It'll be a fun ,forgettable movie. When you're pumping out 22+ movies or so, it doesn't matter how well one of them does provided it doesn't do horrifyingly bad. Mediocre is fine.

Oh I didn’t mean it as an insult, I mean James Cameron is my favorite director. But can you imagine someone like Cameron being told he can’t do something?

You've got to have some level of ego but if you sign up to a franchise movie you also have to accept that yours is not the primary creative direction.

Also you've got to match your ego to your level of talent and let's face it Scott Derrickson is at best a very average director who did okay but nothing special with the first movie. It's not as if we're losing Gunn from the franchise he carved out or even the what-could-have-been of Edgar Wright from antman. Chances are pretty good whoever replaces him will be better.

Archived