UK politics - The Yellowhammer Made The Robin Weep

Lykos

4 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

he’s been a bit of a mixed bag popularity wise in London

This. In fact I would struggle to list anything he has been good at. In terms of honesty could give Bozo a run for his money. 

Would vote for Rory, it would be good to have an independent who will not be fighting the same old tiring Labour-Tory party war from city hall and could actually focus on the mayoralty.

The police are obviously stretched for resources, but public confidence in their capacity/ability must have reached an all time low to the the extent that anything short of violent assault is not something that is even going to be investigated any more. Obviously this slide started long before Sadiq, but his soft on crime image seems to be accelerating it.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:36 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

If one is granted. There's been quite a bit of huff and puff from the usual suspects, and rumoredly political actors within the EU are both weary of the entire Brexit process, and wary of the prospect of an unwilling UK basically bringing all operations to halt (by using vetos and other shenanigans), if they were given an extension. So there's also a (admittedly small) chance that EU might pull the plug.

The Torygraph bringing this one up again.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/10/04/boris-johnson-pins-hopes-hungary-veto-brexit-delay/

Probably vote Lib Dems (if I can).  I don't trust Corbyn on Brexit.  He's been far too reluctant for far too long.

however I live in a safe ERG seat.  I'll admit part of me is tempted to vote Brexit - I really don't agree with them but Realistically I feel they have the biggest chance of taking my non-local twat from being re-elected and it would mean one less Tory Brexit MP for Boris.   - yes they could do a deal with the Brexit part but it might just be the most tactical thing I could do.  I'd still have a raving twat for my local MP so no change there.

My constituency has decided to make things as awkward as possible by having had a massive pro-Labour swing in the last election, so they're now in second place behind the incumbent Tories, but their hold here is shaky and the local MP has gotten a lot of flak for not being very visible and towing the Tory Party line a bit too eagerly. The LibDems won here every election from 1997 to 2010 and are still seen (even by some Tories) as the more natural representatives for the town, and with their resurgence they could retake the seat.

The question becomes whether Labour can maintain their momentum, and this may come down to whether the election happens in term-time or not, as the massive University of Essex student population can swing the vote by itself, and the student body is very strongly pro-Labour, even if our chancellor (John Bercow!) is not. The question for me personally is whether getting Labour in is desirable or not; on balance and current information I'd probably return to my historical LibDem vote.

Almost certainly vote lib dem. I'm in a safe ERG seat with an MP who is only ever seen at election time, and even then us kept away from actual interaction - but he gets 50+% because he wears a blue rosette.

However, IF, closer to the time, labour look to be going well here, I may switch to them as the most likely to get rid of Laurence.

Usually I vote "none of the above" - when there was minimal difference between the parties and no-,one cared about the EU (ah for those heady days again)

19 hours ago, Gaston de Foix said:

David isn't interested, I believe.  There have been overtures, and he has now been out of politics for a while.  But agree that he would make the best leader of the Labour party in a post-Corbyn world. 

Random poll: who would you vote for in a general election if called imminently?

Gaston: Lib Dem. 

It’s a shame he isn’t interested, it was also not great that his brother beat him to the leadership in the first place really.

Hm, that’s a tough one for me, I guess I’d identify as a very centerist Tory if asked but I’m incredibly unimpressed with them under May and especially under Boris so think I’d be joining you in voting Lib Dem.

15 hours ago, Ser Hedge said:

This. In fact I would struggle to list anything he has been good at. In terms of honesty could give Bozo a run for his money. 

Would vote for Rory, it would be good to have an independent who will not be fighting the same old tiring Labour-Tory party war from city hall and could actually focus on the mayoralty.

The police are obviously stretched for resources, but public confidence in their capacity/ability must have reached an all time low to the the extent that anything short of violent assault is not something that is even going to be investigated any more. Obviously this slide started long before Sadiq, but his soft on crime image seems to be accelerating it.

I’d vote for Rory too if I still lived in London.

The Police are very stretched for resources although there seems to be a realisation that this has had a dramatic effect on crime and they are on a huge recruitment drive, wether this makes an impact or not I’m not sure, I guess we will have to wait and look at the numbers a year or two down the line.

51 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

It’s a shame he isn’t interested, it was also not great that his brother beat him to the leadership in the first place really.

Given how the 2015 election turned out, it's closest Westeroi analogue is Stannis burning Shireen.  FWIW, Jo Johnson would be a much better leader of the Tory party than Boris. 

Interesting that our board skews so heavily Lib Dem.  

When you think of all the idiotic reasons people voted for leave (the ones who've admitted this) how could anyone now think, 'ooh might vote for the Brexit party in a GE even though I voted remain'?

Also the Tories have made a LOT of their previous voters pretty angry, so those seats may not be as safe as they think. 

And Tory Stewart for mayor? I won't be voting for him. 

48 minutes ago, Isis said:

When you think of all the idiotic reasons people voted for leave (the ones who've admitted this) how could anyone now think, 'ooh might vote for the Brexit party in a GE even though I voted remain'?

Also the Tories have made a LOT of their previous voters pretty angry, so those seats may not be as safe as they think. 

And Tory Stewart for mayor? I won't be voting for him. 

Except almost all polling shows Tory’s getting very good numbers still, especially since Boris got in 

Wow, I'm really surprised by this, really couldn't have seen this coming 3 years ago.[/deadpan]

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-environment-rules-trump-trade-deal-a9143221.html

Brexit: Boris Johnson moves to scrap environment safeguards to get deal with Trump

Trade secretary says scrapping protections ‘vital for giving us the freedom and flexibility’ to sign deals

Boris Johnson is scrapping a commitment by Theresa May to stick to EU rules on the environment, safety standards and workers’ rights – to raise his chances of getting a trade agreement with Donald Trump.

Article Continues

18 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

Probably vote Lib Dems (if I can).  I don't trust Corbyn on Brexit.  He's been far too reluctant for far too long.

however I live in a safe ERG seat.  I'll admit part of me is tempted to vote Brexit - I really don't agree with them but Realistically I feel they have the biggest chance of taking my non-local twat from being re-elected and it would mean one less Tory Brexit MP for Boris.   - yes they could do a deal with the Brexit part but it might just be the most tactical thing I could do.  I'd still have a raving twat for my local MP so no change there. 

I'd just lean back and wait. I assume LibDems and Greens will probably reach an agreement to field one remain candidate. Presumably you can safely ignore whoever will be running for Labour. Then just hope that your ERG Tory and Frogface's boy take enough votes off each other.

40 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Does anyone think a Lib Dem- Lab pact is possible or likely?

Unlikely at best, Labour would want to position themselves as the natural party of the next government and they couldn’t do that if they stood aside in more than a handful of seats, which probably wouldn’t be enough for the Lib Dems to agree. I think at best you might see a few constituency Lib Dem parties unilaterally deciding not to stand anyone and unofficially suggesting their supporters vote Labour, but not if the Labour candidate is Momentum

52 minutes ago, Gaston de Foix said:

Does anyone think a Lib Dem- Lab pact is possible or likely?

Very unlikely. This LibDems-Greens-PlaidCymru pact is above all forged around Brexit (anti-Brexit tbp). Labour has decided it wants to run a GE instead of Referendum, and voters will more likely treat it as a proxy ref. And Labour's Brexit position is yeah, whatever. So why would the remain parties pact with that? I can see them not fielding candidates against Cooper or Benn, who have pretty solid bona fide Remain cred. But why would they stand down against dimwit and heiress apparent Long-Bailey, John Mann, or Lisa Nandy, or Corbyn himself for that matter? I am not mentioning that old hag Hoey, as she won't run again as Labour MP - maybe as a Tory or Brexit candidate. However, I can see them standing down for Hammond or Grieve, to boost their chances of keeping their seat.

Like I said, I can see LibDems not running in some Labour constituencies, where they have a proper remain Labour MP in place. As in, would be idiotic too risking splitting the remain vote. But they will most definately run against Stringer, Nandy, Long-Bailey and some others. And I really want to see them going all in on Islington North.

Archived