Most disappointing show cancellations

Alarich II

Yeah, Daredevil is definitely the most disappointing. Deadwood was really bad, too. But with Daredevil, it had just come off off a great season. And they were like, oh by the way Cox can never play the character again and will likely be recast to save money. Oh, and all those other shows you like in Marvel Netflix?All gone too, along with the actors. 

1 minute ago, Martell Spy said:

Yeah, Daredevil is definitely the most disappointing. Deadwood was really bad, too. But with Daredevil, it had just come off off a great season. And they were like, oh by the way Cox can never play the character again and will likely be recast to save money. Oh, and all those other shows you like in Marvel Netflix?All gone too, along with the actors. 

I wouldn't say never. I believe the Marvel-Netlfix deal comes with a time period of 2-3 years where they can't use these characters in this form. My hope is that Disney/Marvel, given their insane schedule they have planned for the near future, are biding their time, and once that period expires they'll return the characters with the actors, and they've let the actors know these plans, so they can seek other projects in the mean time. Though they will likely be on Hulu, not Disney+. Am I being too hopeful? On this thread, it's appropriate, right? Apparently Vincent D'Onofrio is still working on saving the show.

Only one that comes to mind was I believe called Daybreak and starred Taye Diggs.  It was a Groundhog Day style show but Diggs was a cop figuring out I believe his own murder.  I honestly can't remember a lot of it other than when it was on, it was awesome.

1 hour ago, Slurktan said:

Only one that comes to mind was I believe called Daybreak and starred Taye Diggs.  It was a Groundhog Day style show but Diggs was a cop figuring out I believe his own murder.  I honestly can't remember a lot of it other than when it was on, it was awesome.

Oh, that reminds me of another show I really liked that got cancelled early. "Life" was about a detective, played by Damian Lewis, who got framed for murder by his partner, went to jail for ten years, got exonerated and set free, won a big financial settlement from the police department... And then he rejoined the police force, and things were awkward for everybody. I really like Damian Lewis and he was great in the role, especially marvelling at all the things (like cell phones) that had come out since he'd gone to prison. The show alternated between murder-of-the-week cases and the detective's attempts to unravel the conspiracy that framed him. It also some strong Deadwood cross-pollination, with Robin Wiegert as a regular cast member and guest appearances from Garret Dillahunt, Titus Welliver, and William Sanderson.

Actually now that I go down the cast list, they had some pretty amazing talent doing one to several episodes: Gabrielle Union, Christina Hendricks, Jonathan Banks, Jessica Pare, MC Gainey, and William Atherton, for starters.

I agree with the votes for Terriers.  In the past, I was annoyed about Deadwood's early cancellation, but it did get a movie recently.

But, the biggest disappointment for me was The 4400.  Yes, it shot itself in the foot in its last season with that idiotic nonsense about The Marked.  Yet, to set up the next season, they were doing a lot of interesting things promicin (a shot that could either give you powers like The 4400's or kill you) and Promise City.

7 hours ago, Triskele said:

Let me be clear that John from Cincinnati was not a great show.  But I was quite bummed it was cancelled because it had an element in it that was really intriguing in a "where were they going with that" kind of way where I'd have liked to see more.

Well said.  I too was intrigued to see where they were going with that, but I can't really blame em for pulling the plug.

Carnivale, for sure. It was a messy show and it didn't always work, but I loved the mythology and the ambience of the show. Plus Clancy Brown is phenomenal as Brother Justin. Then again, I read an interview with the creator about where he wanted to take the story and maybe it was for the best...

I'm not too sad about Rome- I do wish season 2 had been done in two seasons instead of one. Like Game of Thrones 8, it was a good season with some silly parts that needed more episodes to breathe. The timeline shift from after Philippi to right before Actium was especially jarring. But it was a good conclusion to the show. We definitely did not need the planned third season taking place in Judea at the time of Jesus.

I thought the first Defenders season was garbage, but even more than Daredevil or Jessica Jones season 4, I want a second season of that to wrap up all these characters.

Of course, you can always mention Firefly, Deadwood, etc... but a really short lived show I wanted more of was Journeyman. It starred Lucius Vorenus from Rome as a man who unwillingly starts time traveling. It started off case of the week but started developing an interesting storyline. And then it got canceled, halfway through season 1.

13 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Oh, that reminds me of another show I really liked that got cancelled early. "Life" was about a detective, played by Damian Lewis, who got framed for murder by his partner, went to jail for ten years, got exonerated and set free, won a big financial settlement from the police department... And then he rejoined the police force, and things were awkward for everybody. I really like Damian Lewis and he was great in the role, especially marvelling at all the things (like cell phones) that had come out since he'd gone to prison. The show alternated between murder-of-the-week cases and the detective's attempts to unravel the conspiracy that framed him. It also some strong Deadwood cross-pollination, with Robin Wiegert as a regular cast member and guest appearances from Garret Dillahunt, Titus Welliver, and William Sanderson.

Actually now that I go down the cast list, they had some pretty amazing talent doing one to several episodes: Gabrielle Union, Christina Hendricks, Jonathan Banks, Jessica Pare, MC Gainey, and William Atherton, for starters.

The incomparable Claudia Black was supposed to join the cast also. And yes I enjoyed that show too.

2 hours ago, Astromech said:

In addition to some of the series already mentioned, I'll add Freaks and Geeks. Shame it only lasted one season.

Oh, that's a good one.  Great show with so much talent involved.  Although I'm kind of happy it ended before it became crap, which is what happens to about 99% of sitcoms - and usually pretty quickly.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Oh, that's a good one.  Great show with so much talent involved.  Although I'm kind of happy it ended before it became crap, which is what happens to about 99% of sitcoms - and usually pretty quickly.

Kind of funny how all of the freaks furthered their acting careers and the geeks fell into obscurity.

30 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Kind of funny how all of the freaks furthered their acting careers and the geeks fell into obscurity.

Eh, wouldn't go that far.  Sure Franco/Rogan/Segal are the big names, but John Francis Daley had a good run on Bones and both Levine and Starr have been in a lot of stuff in bit roles, I've seen em around a lot.

13 hours ago, Astromech said:

In addition to some of the series already mentioned, I'll add Freaks and Geeks. Shame it only lasted one season.

I was getting super upset getting thru most of this thread without this mention. Freaks and Geeks cancellation still weighs heavy on my heart. Way more than My So Called Life, which I am also sad about. What happened with Jordan Catalano????

Archived