Football: Better Call Raul

Raja

Last year those marginal outcomes were all going in City’s favor.  Today they scored two late goals against a deep defense that had thwarted them all game and then, with the points in the bag, they conceded an OG in stoppage time. 

Liverpool lost the title last year because City had the edge in those fine margins over many games.  This year Liverpool seem to have the edge in fine margins, e.g. Dean Henderson’s error to turn a draw into a win for us.  Because both Liverpool and City are capable of winning a lot of games, but any single game typically has a small differential in scores that could be negated or even reversed by one or two random moments, it’s possible to have a big gap in points despite both teams still being extremely close in quality. 

8 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Bloody hell, why didnt we buy him! :D But what a debut for him.

So happy he snubbed Yernited. :P

Haaland would not have joined you anyway to be a benchwarmer behind Firmino. He snubbed Juventus and RB Leipzig too because Dortmund offered the best chance for him to be a regular starter - his only real competition for the #9 position is Alcacer who tends to pick up injuries on a fairly regular basis.

To be fair as great as it would be to have him I'm not that fussed about not having got Haaland. Like obviously having a great talent would be lovely and we do need depth, but our frontline is not where the main problem lies and if we do get someone it should probably be someone we know can cut it while also be okay sharing time rather than another developing striker.

eta: obviously if there was a proven world-class guy that'd be best but Haaland isn't that yet for all his promise.

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

To be fair as great as it would be to have him I'm not that fussed about not having got Haaland. Like obviously having a great talent would be lovely and we do need depth, but our frontline is not where the main problem lies and if we do get someone it should probably be someone we know can cut it while also be okay sharing time rather than another developing striker.

eta: obviously if there was a proven world-class guy that'd be best but Haaland isn't that yet for all his promise.

So you want a proven world class part time midfielder?

On 1/18/2020 at 12:13 AM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Talking about Liverpool, let's go over to the blue side of football there. I am curious what they'll be doing with Kenny. He is on a season long loan at Schalke this year and has established himself as their first choice right back (and they are on course for European football next year) and he has played fairly well for them. So Schalke have voiced their interest in signing Kenny permanently (note they have no option to buy, so if Everton says no, it actually means no). And rumoredly the big three from London (Arsenal, Chelsky and Spurs) are also interested in a transfer.

Very little is being said about Kenny, at least that I've picked up on. 

Coleman isn't getting any younger, and Sidibe is on loan, so the smart move would probably be to recall him after a year. Didn't work too well with Lookman, though, and Kenny was okay-but-nothing-out-of-the-ordinary last year... Guess Brands and Ancelotti will make their minds up at some point. We're not in any rush regarding him.

40 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Tells you a lot about how little (rightfullly, frankly) Ole trusts Mata that even after two impactful performances, when it comes to an actual big game and Rashford needing to be replaced in the front three, the choice for that is Luke Shaw.

I think it’s more that United want to park the bus and have a couple of very fast wide forwards to chase behind Liverpool’s FBs.  Mata doesn’t really fit into that picture, although I think he could have helped to pick out better quality through balls.

Archived