Sign in to follow this  
DMC

US Politics: Show Trials & Tribulations

So the EPA now does the biddings of whatever large paymasters (developers) desire?

New York Times: EPA to finalize rule that removes protections for streams and wetlands

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/politics/trump-epa-repeals-obama-water-regulation/index.html

They should be forced to change their name, this is no environmental "protection" agency.

59 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I was reading today that some significant percentage of voters (didn't specify left or right) felt that if you know you can't get the votes to impeach, then why do it at all? I find this incredibly frustrating as these are likely the same people that believe in swift "justice" for people of color and the poor.

To me, this just emphasizes how cultural hegemony has been such an effective tool of the elite. 

Simon,

I think there is a point here.  Is the repeated unsuccessful use of impeachment damaging to the process?  Or is the repeated symbolic use of impeachment where you know it will not succeed important unto itself.  

If Presidents were frequently impeached and never removed from office it would certainly turn impeachment into an empty threat.  There have been three impeachments in US history, so far, none of them have been successful.  Therefore, as it stands, impeachment is still a big deal in its own right even if it isn't successful in removing a President from office.  That President will always have an asterix by their name.  

If we suddenly see impeachment as a purely political tool and it is normal for a House of Representatives controlled by a party different from the President to impeach.  

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

If we suddenly see impeachment as a purely political tool and it is normal for a House of Representatives controlled by a party different from the President to impeach.  

Two of the past four presidents have been impeached, and partisanship is only getting worse.  I fully expect that we'll see another impeachment or two in my lifetime.  IMO the only reason that Obama wasn't impeached* was because Republicans felt that impeaching Clinton hurt them electorally so they wouldn't entertain it.  If they thought it was merely neutral, let alone a political winner, then they would have gone for it. 

* Interesting thought exercise, what would they have impeached Obama for?  Benghazi? Fast and Furious? Saluting with a coffee cup in your hand?  My money would be on executive overreach for the DREAM act.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

Two of the past four presidents have been impeached, and partisanship is only getting worse.  I fully expect that we'll see another impeachment or two in my lifetime.  IMO the only reason that Obama wasn't impeached* was because Republicans felt that impeaching Clinton hurt them electorally so they wouldn't entertain it.  If they thought it was merely neutral, let alone a political winner, then they would have gone for it. 

* Interesting thought exercise, what would they have impeached Obama for?  Benghazi? Fast and Furious? Saluting with a coffee cup in your hand?  My money would be on executive overreach for the DREAM act.

Oh, I’ve seen crazy people claiming they can retroactive impeach Obama and make as though he had never been in office.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Though I also maintain the elitist attitude of "Everyone is so fucking dumb all the time. Let's just give all the power to the RAND Corporation and a handful of other technocrats and call it a day."

You gonna fly in a Boeing Max? Hold  Ukraine aid hostage until Rand's personal demands are met?

This is another version of make government a corporate business. Totally Trumpian mode, and how we've gotten where we are right now.

Also the only reason Johnson didn't get removed from office was that the railroad lobbyists provided so much money to bribe so many senators, and particularly that single vote by which conviction was lost.  The bribery bought senators who then could also dangle offices, appointments and other favors to other senators.  And threats too.  That's what we've got right now.  Tech corps will only make it worse.

~~~~~~~~

Evidently the best way to get your message through, whatever it may be, is the Bloomberg Way: Spend a Billion of Mine Very Own Money to Blanket the Voters With What I Want Them To Know.  I wish he'd do that about trump's plans for Medicare and Social Security.

~~~~~~~~

As far as voting by mail -- trump is also working to privatize the post office, which will then be part of that government like a corporation.  My, how easy it is to lose mail -- or make it too expensive to use.  This is the intent, along with, he thinks, putting Amazon out of business.

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

You gonna fly in a Boeing Max? Hold  Ukraine aid hostage until Rand's personal demands are met?

This is another version of make government a corporate business. Totally Trumpian mode, and how we've gotten where we are right now.

I'd argue that government as it currently exists is what has gotten people so disillusioned with the public sector that they want to blow it all up and elect Trump.

That plus racism.

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't think it would've been about the Dreamers. Back in the day (in a time far far away) that was the GOP of McCain and Romney, where the racism was tangible but not as prevalent as it is now. But there they followed the Rove idea of increasing their voting base and reaching out to minorities - and some path to citizenship in some shape or form was not really the partisan issue it is now. The renaissance of open racism is really a Trumpian thing.

Overreach over Obamacare, that I could buy into.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Overreach over Obamacare, that I could buy into.

The problem is that Obamacare was passed as law, and Obama's implementation of it wasn't particularly controversial.  What are they going to do, charge him with dereliction of duty because the Obamacare website keeps crashing? 

That was why I chose the DREAMers, which was something that many Republicans didn't have problem with as a goal, they were just super pissed that the President can be so open/systematic about selectively enforcing the law, which gives him the ability to de facto make certain laws no longer laws at all.  I'll be honest, it makes me a nervous too, even though I support the goals of the DREAM act 100%. 

Ya’ll be overthinking this. Obama gets impeached for lying about his citizenship and for pal’n around with terrorists.

Code: because he’s black.

THey'd need something deeply unpopular with a majority of Americans to begin with. That's why I think Dreamers was a non-starter at that point in time. Now, different story.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Clearly it would be over the Grumpy Cat thing.

7 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

Clearly it would be over the Grumpy Cat thing.

I vote for the tan suit.

21 minutes ago, Fez said:

I vote for the tan suit.

Putting Dijon mustard on a burger.

In all seriousness, it would be invading Pakistan to take out obl.

Or that drone strike on the American-Yemeni terrorist. They (R's) wanted to exploit that but gave up because he was such an obvious enemy combatant....still he was an American citizen so the controversy of whether it was legal to take him out.

Since goal posts always need moving, if Clinton got impeached over sex, Obama is totally getting impeached for double taking at that white woman’s a**.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Obama is totally getting impeached for double taking at that white woman’s a**.

Not gonna do the joke.

Barely sober enough to not do the joke.

2 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

So the EPA now does the biddings of whatever large paymasters (developers) desire?

New York Times: EPA to finalize rule that removes protections for streams and wetlands

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/23/politics/trump-epa-repeals-obama-water-regulation/index.html

They should be forced to change their name, this is no environmental "protection" agency.

It's been like this since the start of his presidency. They have rolled back every rule put in place by the EPA to protect the environment due to developer demands.

11 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Not gonna do the joke.

Barely sober enough to not do the joke.

Oh I’ll do it for you. There was lust coming out of his eyes, lust coming out of his whatever.

38 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Oh I’ll do it for you. There was lust coming out of his eyes, lust coming out of his whatever.

It didn’t work.  My joke just did not work. 

I’ll try to redo it, and get back to you if practicable. 

Edited by A True Kaniggit