Muh muh muh means tuh testing - Covid #6

Larry of the Lawn

In addition to increased reporting and earlier treatment amongst women, extent of exposure may matter. A higher initial inoculum may lead to worse outcomes - it was one of the hypothesises around the high number of deaths amongst Chinese healthcare workers. Again could be associated with male risk taking behaviour.

How stupid can people be?

European countries are communicating with each other, trying to find foreign citizens who have trouble returning to their home countries and organise flights/transfers home for them. Several Slovene people reported that they were stuck on Tenerife, and a flight was organised to fly them back to Europe. Just before take-off, seven people decided not to board and instead "wait for a better opportunity". Why? What? The TV showed people desperate to find a way to their home countries after being stuck at their holiday destination or some airport. Here is a transport being organised by the embassies coordinating and trying to help get you home. You have no idea when it is going to be possible for you to come home. And you refuse to take it ... for what reason exactly is beyond me. :eek: I have no idea what people are on about.

Also, our new government just raised the salaries for all the ministers and secretaries in these trying times. The people are rightfully pissed.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

Well, if it's all age groups it seems to just be than durn old Y chromosome again, with its very few genes that allow anything that might be deleterious on the one X chromosome men have to be manifest. I know many people attribute the higher death rate among men among the elderly to the higher percentage of men that smoke, but in the USA I don't think there is much difference in smoking rates between younger men and women. 

So I just checked NSDUH. And in 2018, past-month rates (i.e. current use) of tobacco products among men and women ages 18-25 were: Men 31.4%, Women 20.2%.

That's actually a pretty big gap. Unfortunately NSDUH doesn't have breakouts for all ages, it's just 12-17, 18-25, and 25+.

19 minutes ago, Fez said:

So I just checked NSDUH. And in 2018, past-month rates (i.e. current use) of tobacco products among men and women ages 18-25 were: Men 31.4%, Women 20.2%.

That's actually a pretty big gap. Unfortunately NSDUH doesn't have breakouts for all ages, it's just 12-17, 18-25, and 25+.

Do we also have any idea with regards to volume of use? My gut says that would make the gap seem even larger if men smoked at significantly higher rates.

Also, it's 2020, and regardless of what you think of the science, it's probably worth look at marijuana rates too, and the over lap between the two.

Lastly, that just says tobacco products. The type of product maters too. Some things are far more harsh on the lungs than others.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, that’s exactly what I had in mind, but didn’t want to open with too hot of a take in case the data disproved a cultural stereotype. Since you differentiated by class, have you seen any data from different cultures and countries?

There probably is some out there though I don't remember at the moment. Maybe I will have time tomorrow to look for some.

23 minutes ago, Fez said:

That's a surprise. I guess I am primarily remembering figures from American teenagers that showed girls were as likely to smoke as boys, partly because they were using it as a form of weight control. But that data is probably at least 25 years old now.

4 hours ago, Frey family reunion said:

...Trump was either asleep at the wheel or he was actively trying to downplay the issue with the fear of the economic dowturn it would create...

The Trump administration failed to do the basic and fundamental work necessary for transition from the Obama administration.  Any business that does an acquisition also performs necessary integration and continuity planning, but that didn't happen in good faith with the current administration, starting on day one: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/16/trump-inauguration-warning-scenario-pandemic-132797?fbclid=IwAR1Zz9fBOBRuNgZ4thsE4wlDLXNca3CcxZD1jPidtilysTXC7Ifp45d60aQ

3 hours ago, Leap said:

I don't know about fortnightly, but when I was working as a labourer we were paid weekly. 

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Doesn't everyone get paid per month? I wasnt aware of people getting paid fortnightly. The full detail was still being released and I was just getting off the train.

When I've worked in pubs (small/independent rather than chains like Wetherspoons I would add) my pay tended to be weekly or fortnightly. I was also paid weekly as an agency worker at my current job (now employed permanent basis by the firm and paid monthly). So I think weekly/fortnightly pay is maybe more typical of "casual" work, or work that might have variable hours? Maybe, just idle speculation from me really though

21 minutes ago, sologdin said:

new orleans is now under a "stay home" order.  undecidable whether that is shelter in place or shoot on sight.

Wow. We were supposed to be in NoLA for a wedding in two weeks ... hope to be there for the new date in several months. We shall see...

It’s stunning to hear NYC has more than 5,000 cases when all of Canada has 950. Update: 1.027.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Canadians coming back from the US were testing positive for Covid-19. From Las Vegas, from California, from cruises.

11 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

It’s stunning to hear NYC has more than 5,000 cases when all of Canada has 950. Update: 1.027.

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Canadians coming back from the US were testing positive for Covid-19. From Las Begas, from California, from cruises.

:lmao:

We might all be beggars soon.

The state health department in Nebraska has authorized physicians to diagnose COVID 19 on the basis of symptoms only since there isn't enough testing capacity.

https://www.ketv.com/article/our-hands-are-tied-nebraska-public-health-lab-on-covid-19-testing/31795916#

Currently, testing supplies are limited and testing is being prioritized for those who are currently hospitalized and people in vulnerable or high-risk populations, as well as health care and public safety workers, nursing home and group home employees and residents, and childcare employees and attendees.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I have been similarly worried about what happens when it hits the refugee camps on the Greek islands or on the Turkish-Greek border. Thousands of people live there in extremely limited space without access to basic hygiene and any medical care, lacking even food and clean water.

Uff. I admit I hadn't thought of that, yet. Yes, this gonna get ugly.

33 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Not that surprising. Big Metropolis (lot of people on relatively limited space), lots of International travelers (Tourists and Business coming thru JFK and La Guardia). NYC on the east and SF/LA on the West Coast were always prime candidates for high numbers of infections. Canada on the other hand... Toronto, Montreal, and a lot of snow.

39 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

From Las Vegas, from California, from cruises

I have made my contempt for cruise tourists known. Vegas, America's petry dish. I assumed people get a rash from thinking about that place.

On a bit of more positive note is all the online things people are organizing because of quarantine these days. I have seen basketball players stream sports lessons, I just read the announcement of the Museum Island Berlin streaming guided tours through their collections for free beginning this Sunday. Heck, right now I have a tab open to Lando Norris' twitch stream open who apparently lacking a Formula 1 series to drive in, became a Youtuber instead. XD

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that Canadians coming back from the US were testing positive for Covid-19. From Las Vegas, from California, from cruises.

Is it stunning?  Yes Canada has about 4 times as many people as NYC proper and about twice as many people as the NYC media market (as a proxy for the metro area).  Canada is spread over half a continent, even if the majority of people live within 50 miles of the US border.  Population density ftw.  (or ftl?!) 

Maybe it's the box wine talking, but is this some sort of flavor of Mercator Projection Bias? 

Archived