Star Wars - We're ALL Being Tortured For No Reason

Relic

19 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Also for those who've read it, Matthew Stover's Shatterpoint novel, which is excellent - one of the best SW books full stop.

He fell. Forever.

As cool as MW and SLJ are, they need to move on from the past and while I always felt that Luke's TLJ story of losing faith in the Jedi would work perfectly for MW, I think it's more fitting for him to die in service to the cause he truly believed in, plus dying that way shows how powerful force lightning is, and makes Palpatine even more impressive.

I finally got around to watching TRoS. Jesus. 

The only well delivered line in the whole film was Chewwie and his heartfelt roar when Leia dies. 

Also, by far the worst lightsabre duels I've ever seen, even the debacle that was Vader v Obi Wan in ep 4 was better. 

2 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

The only well delivered line in the whole film was Chewwie and his heartfelt roar when Leia dies. 

Also, by far the worst lightsabre duels I've ever seen, even the debacle that was Vader v Obi Wan in ep 4 was better. 

I'm nowhere near there on my rewatch yet, but worse than Anakin vs. Obi-Wan in Episode 3? Because that was pretty horrible.

Speaking of, the great rewatch continues. I finally finished the prequels and watched the two standalones, Solo and Rogue One.

Revenge of the SIth: Probably the best of the prequels, but still a pretty bad movie. The best parts are those that involve little to no dialogue: the opening space battle and "execute Order 66" especially. But I found the dialogue in this one to be even worse than in the last two, and everything about Anakin's turn to the dark side is handled so poorly. As a whole, aside from being bad, the prequels don't particularly cohere together as a trilogy either. Re-watching them, I remain deeply confused that there's now a movement to claim that these are good movies (or better than the sequels).

Solo: It was a kind of a surprise to me, but this movie is pretty decent on re-watch. Structurally there's some oddness going on, as the first act doesn't fit particularly well with what comes next, but it's a fun movie. A nice palate cleanser in that sense after the prequels. What I was most surprised by is that I enjoyed it more than...

Rogue One: I remembered liking this a lot when I saw it in theatres. I still enjoyed it, especially the last act, but my main complaint is that the movie didn't really give me a reason to care about any of the characters (except for the droid). They're a pretty dour bunch, and the first act does them no favours, zipping along from location to location with no room to breath. It also feels strange that so much of the first part of the movie focuses on Saw Guerrera, who then promptly dies, giving less development to the other characters.

Now onto the main trilogy! 

50 minutes ago, Caligula_K3 said:

It also feels strange that so much of the first part of the movie focuses on Saw Guerrera, who then promptly dies, giving less development to the other characters.

Doesn't he just choose to die for no reason when he could have escaped with the others? They could have done more with the "he's like the darth vader of the rebels"  thing. 

17 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Doesn't he just choose to die for no reason when he could have escaped with the others?

Pretty much.  Jyn asks him to come with them and he says "I will run no longer" or something like that.  Seemed pretty weird such a zealot would do that to begin with, but after watching the cartoons I'm especially surprised considering how much the character is built up.  I guess he's gotta be dead by ANH, but it would've taken, like, thirty more seconds to establish he wasn't able to continue for some reason.  OTOH, they all did have to run to escape and he didn't seem too mobile.

That scene is doubly annoying because it's when Jyn forgets to bring the message from her father, which becomes a major plot point for the rest of the movie.  While it's understandable why she wouldn't remember, especially given her initial ambivalent feelings towards the rebellion, you'd think Saw woulda been like "hey kid, take the message" as his last act.

Having just rewatched all the movies myself I don't really get the common complaint that the movie didn't make you care about the characters.  I think the film does a great job making you care about Jyn's character, and she's easily my favorite female character of all the films, plus the best performance (to be clear, this is not to impugn the actresses portraying female characters, but rather how they're written/treated in almost all Star Wars films).  Rewatching it, Cassian too is well developed IMHO.  It's understated and subtle, but his ethical angst is definitely there.

Part of this problem is that I agree they jump around too much in the first act (plus the film is much more fast paced that most Star Wars movies overall).  I think it would've been better served to let it breath a bit, emphasizing the importance of Jedha and perhaps further clarify the morally questionable aspect of the rebellion's intelligence/subterfuge efforts.  But overall it is still by far the best Star Wars movie since the OT in my book.

I wonder how everyone is feeling about the proposed Patty Jenkins spin-off now that Wonder Woman 1984 has been so maligned (I was going to say "divided opinions" but looking at the reviewers I usually follow, it seems pretty much unanimously disliked). 

Is she just directing or also writing the screenplay? That seems to be the major issue in WW 1984 if I can believe my usual reviewers.

15 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Is she just directing or also writing the screenplay? That seems to be the major issue in WW 1984 if I can believe my usual reviewers.

Not sure if she's writing the screenplay but last I read she's not intendin to direct if she can avoid it.

46 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I don’t doubt DC found plenty of other ways to fuck up a movie, still willing to assume Disney knew what they were doing hiring Jenkins. I haven’t seen WW1984 though.

They have a poor trackrecord filmwise though ;)

42 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Oh wait I've got myself confused between the WW Amazons spinoff Jenkins is producing but not writing and the Star Wars project durrr

So do we know it for the SW project then?

15 hours ago, RumHam said:

Doesn't he just choose to die for no reason when he could have escaped with the others? They could have done more with the "he's like the darth vader of the rebels"  thing. 

Yeah, that always bugged me too. Strong sitcom mother-in-law vibes - 'Oh, I don't want to be a bother, just leave me here to die in a geological disaster... I'll be fine.'

Never really found the character that interesting in 'Rebels' or 'Rogue One'. Always felt like it was just an easy vehicle for the writers to play on the trope of there are no good guys in war.

7 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Always felt like it was just an easy vehicle for the writers to play on the trope of there are no good guys in war.

It's also a way-too-on-the-nose allusion to Che Guevara.  I was not surprised when wikipedia told me Lucas came up with the name.

20 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Luckily, we still have the all-time greatest fight to look back on:

Archived