Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

23 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Still one handsome motherfucker. 

There's this more appropriate interview where Conan asks him why he did Indiana Jones 4 and Ford just stares at him while rubbing his fingers together to indicate money, but I couldn't quickly find a clip of it.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

There's this more appropriate interview where Conan asks him why he did Indiana Jones 4 and Ford just stares at him while rubbing his fingers together to indicate money, but I couldn't quickly find a clip of it.

I love him. And if you disagree, get off my plane!

Just watched Fury Road again. First time since the theater. At the theater I didn't care for it too much, not sure why. Kept seeing the ridiculous amount of love for it here and decided to watch again. Still not in love as much as others, but I did like it more this time.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Kept seeing the ridiculous amount of love for it here and decided to watch again. Still not in love as much as others, but I did like it more this time.

Yeah I think it's a great movie, but some of the praise that was being thrown around here the other day seemed a bit much to me.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah like I mentioned, the movie is a real feast for the senses and just seems to be a movie made with a lot of love. It's not flawless though, and honestly I don't think the plot or the characters are especially strong, which you have to say is a major part of makes a movie great. 

I thought it was overrated when I first saw it, though I liked it a lot. Then I remember a discussion about how the film fits in the Mad Max "Canon". George Miller commented that he imagined the Max legend to be more akin to folk tales in a post-apocalyptic society than episodes in a canonical epic story.

That's when it clicked for me that I was watching a fantasy film and not a sci fi movie (like the earlier films were). That's my view of it anyway. I love it.

While dinner was getting going last night, I checked into a Netflix-France Original movie set in Marseilles, "Rogue City."  I was in the mood for hearing French.

It turned out to be an awful flic of cop-corruption-criminals-weenie-waggers, which script, plot, etc. had no idea about who what when where WHY anybody is doing whatever they are doing, other than to relentlessly weenie wag.  The title in "French" is "Bronx." Evidently that's slang in France for "mess." It sure is a mess, but not in the way the title givers valiantly, but vainly, hoped.

Anyway though -- the beginning was worth watching because it was so French! The primary of the primary characters is a  broody, grimdarkly sexy fellow named Richard Vronski. Thus, while in the process of transporting a drug gang biggie from one place to another, the two immediately into a discussion about Tolstoy and Anna Karenina. It begins with the drug biggie, "I don't like Tolstoy. He shouldn't have pushed Anna Karenina under a train. She shouldn't have killed herself over that 'twat' Vronsky." Vronski immediately responds that this is a great work of writing and that Anna's suicide had nothing to do with Vronsky at all." And on from there in this sequence which concludes with the drug biggie smothering to death, at her request, his hospitalized, dying of cancer, wife. The opening was a guy shooting somebody, then shooting the cute, cuddly pet doggie for no reason, since the shooter then shoots himself.

Only a French police-crime flick would devote screen time to a cop and and criminal to a prolonged talking head scene discussion of Tolstoy. I must have laughed hard for at least 5 minutes. Alas that the rest of the film doesn't keep that level of entertainment and I bailed.  Glad that scene was at the beginning for otherwise I'd have missed it for sure, and missed the great belly-cleansing bout of laughter it provoked.

Watched Hitchcock's Notorious and Spellbound. First time in a few years and I still like both very much. Some really inventive visual ideas (the crane shot of the key in Ingrid Bergman's hand in Notorious is still incredible, the POV shot through the milk glass and of the gun in Spellbound, especially come to mind). The psychological aspects of Spellbound are silly, but as a thriller it works quite well still. 

Watched Bergman's The Virgin Spring. Haunting, sad, moving, beautifully shot and lit. 

And Kurosawa's 'Drunken Angel' which is a lovely picture. I especially love the visual symbolism of the stagnant pool, in particular the recurring shots of the the town reflected in it. 

Anyone else giving  amazonP's Original The Wilds a go?

A Lord of the Flies situation, but with contemporary adolescent girls, all of them stressed over the max in the way adolescent girls are these days -- and these are very self-aware, talented girls, of different backgrounds. 

I've seen only a single episode,

Spoiler

but it seems it might be going to take a very different social-hierarchal direction, among many other differences, which includes that their tragic plane crash wasn't an accident. By the conclusion of the first episode this looks to be some particularly nasty social-psychic experiment, for which of course let's exploit young adolescent girls the way we do all the time from selling make-up to gymnastics to always keeping them entirely miserable.

I'm almost through the first season of "The Terror". Absolutely first rate. Brilliant performances. Fascinating story...

And I'm not sure I should continue with it for the time being. 20 hours of a story that is such a slow burn; so mercilessly grim and full of tension; it might not be what I need to feed my brain at this exact moment.

Covid... Lockdown... No job... No Christmas... I think I'm going to set that one aside for now.

13 hours ago, Zorral said:

Anyone else giving  amazonP's Original The Wilds a go?

A Lord of the Flies situation, but with contemporary adolescent girls, all of them stressed over the max in the way adolescent girls are these days -- and these are very self-aware, talented girls, of different backgrounds. 

I've seen only a single episode,

Reveal hidden contents

but it seems it might be going to take a very different social-hierarchal direction, among many other differences, which includes that their tragic plane crash wasn't an accident. By the conclusion of the first episode this looks to be some particularly nasty social-psychic experiment, for which of course let's exploit young adolescent girls the way we do all the time from selling make-up to gymnastics to always keeping them entirely miserable.

A friend just recommended this show as 'Lost but with teenage girls'. Imma give it a try based on that. 

Thanks, but I still am confused as to why the OP didn't use those words that are more specific in meaning in this instance, than a generic 'effed up' that can have a mass of  contradictory significations.

8 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

I mean when someone says 'that's fucked up I'm into it' I think it's safe to say you can eliminate the connotations of negativity in a quality sense.

This. I like fucked up stuff. There are some really crazy things that happen that I didn't expect and I appreciate that. And it's not a happy story, also something I like.

ETA: Not really sure how to describe it otherwise. Three friends end up in an alternate Tokyo (down the rabbit hole) and they have to complete games to get playing cards or die. Hijinks ensue, people die and some unexpected things happen.

Archived