Watch, Watched, Watching: Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion

Veltigar

26 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I can't fight this, but still....

Do you have any interest in the limited reboot?

If I can find a way to delete the final seasons from my memory and this reboot is better, then yes

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I haven't seen big mouth but I've been impressed with Netflix' animation in general. The Invader Zim movie was a lot of fun. Love+Death+Robots is great.

Big Mouth, on the surface of it, appears incredibly crude. One character Jay spends most of his time fucking his pillow, and Maury the Hormone Monster literally advocates for the most depraved sexual act imaginable at any given moment. But it balances it really well in that it’s the most brutally honest exploration of puberty I’ve ever seen. The characters emotional drives are all personified in various ways, primarily the hormone monster, but as it goes on we get Shame, Depression, Anxiety. All the crudeness is gradually tinged with tragedy; Jay may have disgusting fantasies about his pillows, but his upbringing has clearly been awful and he just craves attention as his parents largely ignore him.

Weirdly, I think it’d be an amazing thing for kids going through puberty to watch ... except it’s so obscene that it really shouldn’t be watched by kids.

I've just finished season 1 of better call Saul. That was amazing. I never expected a gut punch moment in ep9 game of thrones style but wow.

I'm loving this show. Damn my backlog of shows like chilling adventures of sabrina, stranger things and the x files that made me put this off for so long.

Bring on s2, after I watch another of my many t.v. shows first of course. I always watch one season then move onto another show by watching one season (or two if it's a 22 min show), then return to the first show. Having too many half watched shows at once is something I try to avoid.

13 minutes ago, TheLastWolf said:

If there is a film that is bad at everything, i really mean everything,its Starship Troopers. Bad cinematography. Bad plot. Bad acting. Bad graphics VFX. Bad music and sound. Bad at being bad itself. Bad everything. Smh 

I remember hating Starship Troopers when I first saw it as a high schooler.  It was only later when I realized that it is meant to be a satire of fascism, rather than an endorsement of it, that I appreciated it more (I haven't rewatched it, but a lot of the scenes make more sense in that light). 

The acting is not great, although a few of the actors are enjoyable enough.  The CGI at the time was pretty good, although 20 year old CGI is horrendous now.  It is definitely meant to be a B movie and a satire of fascism, but Hollywood didn't really understand that, so it has some weird mixed messaging at times (particularly in how it was marketed). 

14 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I remember hating Starship Troopers when I first saw it as a high schooler.  It was only later when I realized that it is meant to be a satire of fascism, rather than an endorsement of it, that I appreciated it more (I haven't rewatched it, but a lot of the scenes make more sense in that light). 

The acting is not great, although a few of the actors are enjoyable enough.  The CGI at the time was pretty good, although 20 year old CGI is horrendous now.  It is definitely meant to be a B movie and a satire of fascism, but Hollywood didn't really understand that, so it has some weird mixed messaging at times (particularly in how it was marketed). 

Fun fact, they got away with all the satire because the film kept getting handed off to different producers. None of them caught it.

Liked Starship Troopers a lot because it was so ridiculous.

Watched Ava on Netflix because of the subliminal messaging I had seen earlier in the day.  Not a good movie. Has some spots and ideas that could have been good if explored more and several good actors but it doesn't bring it together.

10 hours ago, Maithanet said:

remember hating Starship Troopers when I first saw it as a high schooler. 

Im one 

It was only later when I realized that it is meant to be a satire of fascism, rather than an endorsement of it, that I appreciated it more (I haven't rewatched it, but a lot of the scenes make more sense in that light). 

Gee, thanks! I'll rewatch it in that sense. 

The acting is not great, although a few of the actors are enjoyable enough

Fair enough 

The CGI at the time was pretty good, although 20 year old CGI is horrendous now

Yeah. Exactly! 

It is definitely meant to be a B movie and a satire of fascism, but Hollywood didn't really understand that, so it has some weird mixed messaging at times (particularly in how it was marketed). 

Hmm

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Fun fact, they got away with all the satire because the film kept getting handed off to different producers. None of them caught it.

Really fun fact. Really. Believable too, after seeing the movie. 

1 minute ago, dbunting said:

Liked Starship Troopers a lot because it was so ridiculous.

:lol:

Yeah when Starship Troopers came out I was so angry that anyone would like it. “Gah, what a stupid movie! This everything wrong with Hollywood” I arrogantly cried.

It wasn’t till years later, after reading more about the movie that I finally got it. The stupid jingoistic plot and the the daytime tv quality actors who are simply too good looking, are all part of the point. I didn’t see it first time round and took the movie at face value.

But it’s a clever satire and if you watch his other movies like Robocop it all kind of makes sense when you see what he’s doing. 

It is a little sad that those in charge didn’t see the satire and were happy to push the movie out thinking it really was as stupid as it appears on the surface 

Made a new discovery today. Cincinnati is a rain forest!

Watched a movie on Netflix, Marauders, and in every scene that is outdoors in the city it's raining. The movie takes place over several days/weeks and every single time it's raining, or the ground was still wet from where it had been. I may have missed a scene early in the movie, but once I noticed it, every scene after that was raining. The only one I saw was a scene in Mexico where it was sunny. Some director loves rain scenes I guess. One scene a guy walks in from the rain and is soaked, then a cut away and back to him and he is dry, whoops. The movie pretty well sucks despite having a decent cast. It has the obligatory gun cocking scene before a robbery. Assault rifle first, then a pistol, then a shotgun, had all the gun types covered, the only thing missing was a car chase. The movie even ripped off an older better movie scene

Spoiler

Can't remember the movie but it involved major drugs. Had a scene where the coke was being cut and packaged and all the people (men and women) doing it were naked so they had no way of stealing any drugs. Made sense. Well this movie has a scene that was similar, shows two women topless doing the cutting and packaging, but they have on pants and one of them even snorts some of the coke. So why are they topless??? Made zero sense. I love some naked women but the stupidity of it took away the 14 year old in me pleasure!

Anyway, do not watch Marauders unless you want to see if I missed a dry scene.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

Made a new discovery today. Cincinnati is a rain forest!

Watched a movie on Netflix, Marauders, and in every scene that is outdoors in the city it's raining. The movie takes place over several days/weeks and every single time it's raining, or the ground was still wet from where it had been. I may have missed a scene early in the movie, but once I noticed it, every scene after that was raining. The only one I saw was a scene in Mexico where it was sunny. Some director loves rain scenes I guess. One scene a guy walks in from the rain and is soaked, then a cut away and back to him and he is dry, whoops. The movie pretty well sucks despite having a decent cast. It has the obligatory gun cocking scene before a robbery. Assault rifle first, then a pistol, then a shotgun, had all the gun types covered, the only thing missing was a car chase. The movie even ripped off an older better movie scene

Hide contents

Can't remember the movie but it involved major drugs. Had a scene where the coke was being cut and packaged and all the people (men and women) doing it were naked so they had no way of stealing any drugs. Made sense. Well this movie has a scene that was similar, shows two women topless doing the cutting and packaging, but they have on pants and one of them even snorts some of the coke. So why are they topless??? Made zero sense. I love some naked women but the stupidity of it took away the 14 year old in me pleasure!

Anyway, do not watch Marauders unless you want to see if I missed a dry scene.

I watched it just because it was filmed right on the same block where I work, but you’re correct, it’s definitely terrible. The scene of people packaging drugs you’re thinking of might be from New Jack City with Wesley Snipes. 

A much better semi-recent movie shot in Cincinnati is The Killing of a Sacred Deer. The city actually looks nice in that one, and you won’t mistake it for the rain forest. :P

10 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Earlier today I watched Dune (1984). While I liked the premise of the film and the makeup effects, the pacing and dialogue were kind of a slog to get through.

Waaaaay to much needless exposition with voice overs. Inner monologues might be a useful world building / storytelling device in literature; not so much in cinema.

We'll see what Denis does next year.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:47 AM, DaveSumm said:

Big Mouth, on the surface of it, appears incredibly crude. One character Jay spends most of his time fucking his pillow, and Maury the Hormone Monster literally advocates for the most depraved sexual act imaginable at any given moment. But it balances it really well in that it’s the most brutally honest exploration of puberty I’ve ever seen. The characters emotional drives are all personified in various ways, primarily the hormone monster, but as it goes on we get Shame, Depression, Anxiety. All the crudeness is gradually tinged with tragedy; Jay may have disgusting fantasies about his pillows, but his upbringing has clearly been awful and he just craves attention as his parents largely ignore him.

Weirdly, I think it’d be an amazing thing for kids going through puberty to watch ... except it’s so obscene that it really shouldn’t be watched by kids.

Agreed. I gave up around season 3. I just found it way too crude and that gym teacher or whoever he was way way too stupid.

I can see the appeal though. I guess it's the first show that, at age 34 when I tried it, I'm just too old to appreciate :angry:

But if it existed 20 years ago however I'm sure I'd have loved it. 

Archived