Sign in to follow this  
Westeros

HBO Planning Dunk and Egg, Other Thrones-properties

I'd expect that insofar as Targaryen history is concerned George would like to limit it to material from FaB. Everything after the Dance is basically not *really* written out in great detail aside from the Dunk & Egg stories.

Yeah, We Got This Covered is a hack site that makes up bullshit for clicks, and the few times they are right it's because they lifted the scoop from other people (often without giving credit).

We know that HBO have talked about a Game of Thrones movie and I'm sure it's something they've got in their back pocket, but there's no way they will risk money on it until House of the Dragon, at least, has proven the franchise's viability beyond the original incarnation.

Flea Bottom is an interesting one. Given that Nine Voyages is effectively a spin-off from House of the Dragon, it makes me wonder if Flea Bottom is as well and will focus on Daemon Blackfyre's tenure as captain of the goldcloaks and his nickname, "Lord Flea Bottom". Though for a real ground-level POV, focusing on say Davos growing up in Flea Bottom in a later time period might be better.

Interested in Nymeria because I like her refugee story and I hope we get to see water magic vs. fire magic. Action scenes of Nymeria herself or her water witches drowning a few Valyrians to protect Ny Sar would be cool. Too bad they left that book scene out with Tyrion in the show, it could have connected. We'll also see Valyrians being absolute shit heads.

Flea Bottom also sounds interesting. They could humanize the people of city Dany destroyed.

Posted (edited)

@Ran

BREAKING: James Hibberd has a new update on the other spinoffs at The Hollywood Reporter. 

Given that he was *wrong* about a live-action Robert's Rebellion TV show (it's a stage play), some of the details might be fuzzy:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-animated-yiti-1234982593/

The writing of the article is sloppy. The headline is that "2 new animated projects" are in the works, but only goes on to describe one of them....and the body of the article says "three projects", so I don't know what he's talking about.  

Apparently, HBO is actively considering an animated project about the Golden Empire of Yi Ti (Fantasy China)

Meanwhile...in what doesn't even seem animated news....the Flea Bottom prequel pitch has been scrapped. It was "the most nascent" of the prequel pitches and never got far into development.  If this was a Young Daemon in Flea Bottom tie-in it might have been nice, but for all we know it was an anthology (which I wouldn't want). 

Hibberd's report is quite confused, hopefully we can narrow this down soon.

Wait...from the way he phrased it, I think he meant "two ADDITIONAL animated projects", as in, in addition to the first one that was reported, for a total of THREE animated projects in all. That makes sense.

Edited by The Dragon Demands

Regarding HBO Max expansion, a good article in NYMag explaining their recent problems with lots of buggy glitches and buffering:

https://www.vulture.com/article/hbo-max-app-crash-problem-fix.html#_ga=2.214449367.1556919069.1628822301-1762818768.1626829408

It turns out that they didn't make a new streaming platform from the ground up like Netflix or Amazon Prime - they basically bootstrapped the old programming for HBO Go and HBO Now to make it quickly.

I don't even think this was a bad thing: Richard Plepler didn't even believe in streaming, "You should buy the cable service". They saw it as a supplement to the cable channel. So when the new administration came in under AT&T, they had to build up a new streaming service REALLY fast and under difficult circumstances. No one wants to be the last streamer out of the gate (the dubious honor goes to Peacock). So yes they rushed it out....but they sort of had to, because the old administration dug them into quite a deep hole.

I actually think that given the massive task ahead of them, just how little the Plepler administration cared about streaming services, that HBO Max achieved a surprisingly large amount of success in relatively little time...it's just that they were that far behind when they started and there's a long way to go.

The good news is HBO is fully aware of all of these problems and is actively working on fixing it. So...I chalk this up as "growing pains".  Amazing how much streaming exploded in the past 5 years. Disney+ was a planned rollout for years, HBO Max was...AT&T came in as the new owners and asked "What's your plan for a full scale streaming service?" and the answer was "we don't have one".  Ugh.

As for the international rollout of HBO Max, to reiterate:

• They just had a big expansion to all of Latin America back in June
  • "By the end of 2021" they intend to expand into Europe - specifically, markets within Europe where HBO already has a direct market, so they don't have to haggle with third party companies; basically HBO Nordic, HBO Spain & Portugal, and "HBO Europe" (Eastern Europe - Poland and the Baltics plus the Balkans, but not Russia)
  • Parts of Europe where they don't have direct markets will have to wait longer: the elephant in the room are the countries where streaming is done through Sky One: United Kingdom + Ireland, Germany, Italy, Austria.   Besides Sky One it's basically just France (OCS) and the Netherlands (Ziggo). Belgium just uses whatever its neighbors use I think, and Greece is a nonentity. Good news is that OCS's contract runs out in summer 2022, so we think France will get HBO Max by the time House of the Dragon Season 2 rolls out.
  • The merger with Discovery+ may accelerate expansion to the MIddle East and India, on account of the fact that Discovery+ already has streaming services there.
  • No word on expansion into East Asia
  • No word on expansion into Canada or Australia