DCEU: The Hare's Regret

JGP

@DMC

Central City has been located in Illinois in some works, but more often it seems more analogous to Kansas City. 

I think Gotham and Metropolis as different visions of NYC seems about right (but there's also an NYC in the DC universe).

6 hours ago, Ran said:

@DMC

Central City has been located in Illinois in some works, but more often it seems more analogous to Kansas City. 

I think Gotham and Metropolis as different visions of NYC seems about right (but there's also an NYC in the DC universe).

Pretty sure Gotham is in NJ, while Metropolis is in Delaware........which pretty much doubled the population of that state, lol

3 hours ago, sifth said:

Pretty sure Gotham is in NJ, while Metropolis is in Delaware........which pretty much doubled the population of that state, lol

I'm not questioning their location in the DC universe, I'm saying that the cities were conceived as fictional versions of NYC. That said, per Wikipedia, in Superman #2, Metropolis was explicitly located in New York; its placement in Delaware is a much later thing. Gotham City has been associated with New Jersey since the 1970s, but in origin the creators spoke of not naming it New York City so anyone could identify with it... which kind of shows that NYC was the initial model with the name filed off. No surprise there, since Kane was born in the city, and he and Bill Finger were working there when they created Batman.

22 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Hell, not even filed off, just painted over - Gotham was a nickname for NY before it became synonymous with where Batman lives.

Yep.

The one quirk I'll say about Metropolis is that the early skyline was based on Toronto, of all places, because that's where Joe Shuster was born and raised for a few years of his life.

But a nice detail from the old comics -- and this is per Wikipedia's entry on Metropolis -- is that initially Gotham and Metropolis were described as being connected by the Metro-Narrows Bridge, an obvious take on the Verrazano-Narrows bridge that links Staten Island and Brooklyn. 

There's a nice passage in the Wikipedia, giving a couple of different descriptions of the dichotomy between Gotham and Metropolis:

Frank Miller has said that "Metropolis is New York in the daytime; Gotham City is New York at night."

In terms of atmosphere, Batman writer and editor Dennis O'Neil has said that, figuratively, "Batman's Gotham City is Manhattan below 14th Street at eleven minutes past midnight on the coldest night in November, and Metropolis is Manhattan between 14th and 100th Streets on the brightest, sunniest July day of the year.

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

I've never read a DC comic, when I said Gotham was Chicago I was mostly thinking of the Nolan movies. 

First Nolan movie was filmed in Detroit. Third was NYC and others cities 

Much of Dark Knight Rises was shot in Pittsburgh.  Bane blows up Heinz Field and Hines Ward was the kick returner.  Gotham City Hall was this.  My understanding is much of The Dark Knight and some of Batman Begins was filmed in Chicago.  This is the Narrows bridge featured in BB.

21 hours ago, Ran said:

The one quirk I'll say about Metropolis is that the early skyline was based on Toronto, of all places, because that's where Joe Shuster was born and raised for a few years of his life.

That's weird.  Toronto's skyline in 1938 wasn't all that impressive. 

7 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I've never heard that Batman Begins was Detroit and a google turns up nothing. There's lots of articles etc about it being filmed in Chicago. Dunno for sure though.

Oh shit, youre right. Hmmmm wonder what im thinking of then. 

21 hours ago, unJon said:

Wait. In the Justice League movies aren’t Metropolis and Gotham next to each other? I figured Metropolis was Manhattan and Gotham was Brooklyn. 

If by Justice League movies you mean the Snyder movies then they are across a bay from each other.

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

If by Justice League movies you mean the Snyder movies then they are across a bay from each other.

So does Superman protect people in Gotham as well or are they suddenly out his jurisdiction the moment they go over that bridge, lol

36 minutes ago, sifth said:

So does Superman protect people in Gotham as well or are they suddenly out his jurisdiction the moment they go over that bridge, lol

I mean he apparently wasn't aware of Batman until the start of Batman V Superman. I'm guessing he doesn't get over there much. Every time he saw the bat signal he just assumed they were opening a new mall. 

Someone should make a movie about what Superman's life would actually be like. Constantly zooming around saving people with barely a moment to rest. Then having to deal with people whining that you smashed a few city blocks in the process. I doubt I'd last a week before I snapped and started laser eying people. 

5 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I mean he apparently wasn't aware of Batman until the start of Batman V Superman. I'm guessing he doesn't get over there much. Every time he saw the bat signal he just assumed they were opening a new mall. 

Someone should make a movie about what Superman's life would actually be like. Constantly zooming around saving people with barely a moment to rest. Then having to deal with people whining that you smashed a few city blocks in the process. I doubt I'd last a week before I snapped and started laser eying people. 

BvS implied that Batman wasn't always the murderer and torturer we see in that movie, but he got beat up and lost enough to become cruel. The bat signal being there signifies that the police were working with him in the past, and it's proven again in JL. So Superman may have been aware of Batman, and didn't feel to get involved with taking out the criminals. But in BvS Clark decided that the Batman was becoming dangerous.

Also, Superman's MO is to save people who are in mortal peril, not to play detective and hunt down criminals. 

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Isn't this kinda what Hancock was supposed to be?

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Was that any good? 

I liked it more than others seemed to.  Regardless it's a hell of a lot better than anything Superman's been in in awhile.

Archived