Shadow and Bone - Netflix - April

lady narcissa

13 hours ago, kairparavel said:

I enjoyed the books but I think Six of Crows/Crooked Kingdom is actually the better of the two series. Leigh Bardugo did a great job with the heist concept and the characters are better developed. But it's just my opinion. 

All that said, the trailer knocked my socks off and I'm so very impatient to see it all come alive and how the two stories are brought together. No mourners, no funerals. 

Same. I liked the sort of 'Locke Lamora' vibe from the heist series and I enjoyed that one more than the Grisha (I gave up on the latter series). I will be giving the series a go. :)

13 hours ago, john said:

Ben Barnes as the Darkling? I’m aware he’s an ancient being or something, but he is a hell of a lot older looking than my mental image, especially when they’re casting Alina with a believably teenage actor. Otherwise, excellent trailer, the sun summoning looks fantastic.

In my mind Barnes is still 20 and frozen in Narnia but I looked him up and apparently he is 39 in real years. In Hollywood years I think he could pass for 30.  The actress playing Alina is actually 25.  So I suspect they have purposely aged them up for the tv series and are going for 20 somethings instead of teenagers.  I think this makes sense, it will probably have broader tv viewing appeal this way.

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/30/2021 at 8:20 PM, Ran said:

Amazon's Wheel of Time series must be sweating a little bit on the VFX side of things. This show seems to have spared little expense on its elemental-ish magic effects.

WoT has between half again and twice the budget of this show, so in theory they should have no trouble at least matching this quality (which is solid more than spectacular). Given the extremely elongated post-production timeframe, I'm hoping for something reasonably impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, AncalagonTheBlack said:

Anyone here started watching this yet? Good adaptation?

Just saw the first episode. I've not read any of Bardugo's books, Linda has read all of them. It seems fine but was not a barn-burner of a first episode, to be honest. I do like the actors well enough from what little we've seen. Oh, I also thought its score was overly-forward and in your face to a distracting degree at times.

Linda did not care for the pacing which she says is due to the mixing together of the two series. It did get a bit clumsy towards the end when they had the two stories tie up together a bit.

22 minutes ago, divica said:

One qestion. The only person with special abilities is the woman that appears in the traillers?

No. She just has extra-special abilities. In the setting, the nation she belongs to has an entire army made up of magic-users called Grisha, led by a General Kerrigan who is himself extra-special.

Edited by Ran

4 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Is it YA? 

I mean, the books are. This.... I guess? I mean, it feels a lot like Hunger Games (the films, I've never read the books, though Linda nodded agreement and said that the show really does have some affinity to the Hunger Games films in a way that the novel series did not have) in terms of character relationships and the presence of sex and so on.

Edited by Ran

5 minutes ago, Ran said:

Just saw the first episode. I've not read any of Bardugo's books, Linda has read all of them. It seems fine but was not a barn-burner of a first episode, to be honest. I do like the actors well enough from what little we've seen. Oh, I also thought its score was overly-forward and in your face to a distracting degree at times.

Linda did not care for the pacing which she says is due to the mixing together of the two series. It did get a bit clumsy towards the end when they had the two stories tie up together a bit.

No. She just has extra-special abilities. In the setting, the nation she belongs to has an entire army made up of magic-users called Grisha, led by a General Kerrigan who is himself extra-special.

Then I might watch it. From the traillers I thought only the woman had powers.

2 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

so what is your magic user/ non-user ratio which makes a series worth watching? ;)

If there are magic users then there must be a community of magic users. Some good and some bad so that the story doesn t look like a jerk fest about 1 character.

All your questions answered in a series of pieces on Vulture.  Links to the others follow, usually, the bottom of the pieces. v Yes, indeed, it is YA.

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/shadow-and-bone-what-to-know-about-the-grishaverse.html

https://www.vulture.com/2021/04/review-shadow-and-bone-almost-gets-lost-in-the-dark.html

Recaps of each episode too, as recapper watches them, and then, writes.

Edited by Zorral

Part way into the 2nd episode and man, they really just went way too big and "EPIC" with the score. There's a moment where it just swells and booms and... they just haven't earned that, and the moment is too damned quiet for it anyways. Weird, weird scoring decisions.

3 episodes in and it's not perfect but I'm enjoying it. The Crows are fantastic! Excellent casting all around there. Kaz especially has walked right off the page. On the Grisha side, the cast is also very good. Ben Barnes as the Darkling works so well. The Apparat is appropriately creepy though he looks nothing like his book description (which is fine really).

My only real complaint is how much they are cramming in to each episode to create the story of what The Crows were doing during this Alina timeline. Too many characters/locations/politics to keep track of for someone who hasn't read the books. 

Was also pretty happy when I saw Leigh Bardugo in her scene. I can't imagine what it's like to see it all come to life, though her smile in that scene said a lot!