US Politics: Guns versus Butter

DMC

Reconciliation Bill 2.0?  No clue how feasible this is...but if the D's pull it off...

(side note: this 'Senate Parliamentarian' character, in some constricted circumstances, looks to be one of the big DC power brokers) 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/schumer-eyes-obscure-maneuver-to-pass-biden-s-infrastructure-bill/ar-BB1f7Mlm?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580&fbclid=IwAR2OA8d07se3aKgL8JswMBTvDCnuwzXqwva3NyjUbxUg3a8kvI1p8ZBnxE4

Democrats used a budget resolution for the current fiscal year to lay the groundwork for passing the American Rescue Plan. Although typically budget reconciliation is used only once per fiscal year, a Schumer aide said the majority leader is asking the Senate parliamentarian whether he can revise the current budget resolution to allow for another reconciliation process to pass the infrastructure package.

Top Schumer aides have asked the parliamentarian about using Section 304 of the Congressional Budget Act of 1974 to allow for a second reconciliation process this fiscal year. The parliamentarian is an expert on the obscure procedures of the Senate, and can determine whether certain actions are permitted under Senate rules.

Some Capitol riot suspects apologize as consequences sink in

Confronted with compelling video and photographic evidence in court, dozens of rioters have apologized and expressed regret as the consequences of their actions have started to sink in. The ramifications include potential job losses, financial ruin and possible time behind bars. (...)

A lawyer for Dominic Pezzola, who authorities say is a member of the extremist group Proud Boys and broke a Capitol window with a police shield, said in a filing that his client’s incarceration has placed his wife and two children in desperate financial straits. (...)

As a procession of rioters ended up before federal judges, some issuing apologies before they got to court, it was impossible to discern who was sincerely sorry and who was expressing contrition in a preemptive bid for leniency from the court. (...)

Psychologists have long observed how individuals in frenzied crowds seem to lose their sense of individual responsibility and become willing to engage in anti-social behavior they’d never contemplate on their own.

Courts are unlikely to allow lawyers to use the psychology of crowds as a defense at trial. It could potentially be raised at sentencing to try to explain how those with no previous criminal record ended up breaking the law. (...)

In his apology, Chansley asked for patience for him and others who participated because they were “having a very difficult time piecing together all that happened to us, around us, and by us.”

“We are good people who care deeply about our country,” Chansley wrote.

A month later, a judge who denied Chansley’s bid to be released from jail had questioned whether the Arizona man was still under Trump’s spell, pointing out Chansley said in a CBS “60 Minutes+” interview that he didn’t regret his loyalty to Trump.

https://apnews.com/article/capitol-siege-politics-phoenix-idaho-3bbabae61323f77b0af3102497c0ede9

Well, well, well. The pressure got to Delta Airlines. Good!

The CEO has now come out with a clear and unequivocal statement that the Georgia law is unacceptable because of the voter suppression aspects of it.

That initial statement was bs, as I first said.

38 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

That initial statement was bs, as I first said.

"We worked to make it better, we did get some good things in and some bad things out, a lot more needs to be fixed and we're going to continue to be a part of trying to fix it."

That's the sum total of the actual useful content of both statements. The performative yawp plays well on Twitter, but it genuinely doesn't change a jot about what Delta is actually doing.

More sports than political perhaps, but from the oral arguments going on this morning, it sounds like SCOTUS is getting ready for a 9-0 mic drop ruling against the NCAA on student-athlete pay.

Only Breyer sounds remotely sympathetic, and I can't imagine him being the lone holdout on a 8-1 ruling.

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

"We worked to make it better, we did get some good things in and some bad things out, a lot more needs to be fixed and we're going to continue to be a part of trying to fix it."

That's the sum total of the actual useful content of both statements. The performative yawp plays well on Twitter, but it genuinely doesn't change a jot about what Delta is actually doing.

You may be unaware of this, but the CEO of Merck, who is black, and a retired executive from Amex (can’t recall if he was CEO) who is black, are spearheading a movement to get the CEOs of the Fortune 500 to come out and strongly condemn voter repression laws being passed or considered in 45 states right now. The CEO of Delta did that. How the hell do you have a company that has so many black employees in Georgia that issued that nonsense statement?

They view themselves as non-partisan. They are also against, for example, gerrymandering districts to make them guaranteed Democrat by having the voters in the districts be largely black.

As the CEO of Merck said, this was a battle fought and won by Robert Kennedy and LBJ 50 years ago, and which states are now trying to undo. And they are going to rally the corporate voices they think can change those laws. The bs PR statement put out by Delta ain’t gonna do that.

Looks like NZ is set to increase its minimum wage (~$20/hr) and increase marginal tax rate on highest earners (~39% for those earning more than 180k per year). Thought that was interesting since its exactly what the US is trying to do as well.

Its hard to extrapolate lessons from a Delaware-sized country to one as massive as the US, but there you go.

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

This doesn't feel like Blair Walsh missing a 27 yard FG.

And in the least shocking news category, Gaetz is now being investigated for possibly having a sexual relationship with a 17 year old. If true, I'm stunned. Stunned, I say, Jace!

Resting asshole face with an underage kid?  Paint me completely unsurprised.

15 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Looks like NZ is set to increase its minimum wage (~$20/hr) and increase marginal tax rate on highest earners (~39% for those earning more than 180k per year). Thought that was interesting since its exactly what the US is trying to do as well.

Its hard to extrapolate lessons from a Delaware-sized country to one as massive as the US, but there you go.

It's very nice that NZ is increasing its mimumum wage, but I think it should be pointed out that at the present exchange rate 20 NZ dollars are the equivalent of $14 USA, so they actually are raising their minimum wage to a dollar less an hour than the $15 now being touted as where the USA should go. 

7 hours ago, Trishkin said:

I just wanna say that one of the times I got kicked off of Twitter was for calling Matt Gaetz a stupid sack of shit. I feel like Twitter owes me an apology.

You assume you got kicked for insulting Gaetz with that tweet. I think you should apologize to all the sacks of shit out there for liking them to Gaetz.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

It's very nice that NZ is increasing its mimumum wage, but I think it should be pointed out that at the present exchange rate 20 NZ dollars are the equivalent of $14 USA, so they actually are raising their minimum wage to a dollar less an hour than the $15 now being touted as where the USA should go. 

Still $14 hourly would be an improvement for many of our underpaid min. wage earners so it would represent a compromise but improvement for many states.

1 hour ago, Ormond said:

They also have significantly better social safety nets and higher overall standards of living than the US, so probably not that bad. 

2 hours ago, Ormond said:

This was an issue I always had with Americans I worked with. They’d see a price for something, convert it to US dollars, and say, “hey, nothing wrong with that”. Except outside of the US we all have higher taxes, some kind of VAT, the cost of living is generally higher, food is generally more expensive, and salaries are generally lower. The cost of many items in NZ is way, way higher than the US, for example, because of the cost of shipping and so much is imported. There is no car industry in NZ, for example, and so I understand cars are quite expensive.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Resting asshole face with an underage kid?  Paint me completely unsurprised.

Who could possibly have suspected this of Matt Gaetz?

From the reports I've seen, his appearance with Tucker Carlson last night was so bad even Carlson couldn't polish that turd.

From the reports I've seen, his appearance with Tucker Carlson last night was so bad even Carlson couldn't polish that turd.

So, part of his defense is that there are pictures of him with children, but the pictures are of course fabricated? Pretty stunning. It almost seems like he is expecting some pretty horrible stuff to come out and is trying to prepare the public for that.

Archived