Aliens?

rotting sea cow

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

Early news about the official, classified UFO report being delivered to Congress later this month. https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/report-does-not-confirm-or-rule-out-ufos-in-unexplained-aerial-events/2021/06/03/87654f70-c4d3-11eb-8c34-f8095f2dc445_story.html

Sounds like they've still got no idea. Apparently the one firm conclusion is that its not some secret, previously-unaccounted-for US military program that's responsible.

I thought the report was going to be unclassified. 

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I thought the report was going to be unclassified. 

It's a half-and-half. There's an unclassified section and a classified section, so you just know any good stuff is going to be in the classified section.

This is wild. 

NASA's top guy sits down with CNN to discuss the UAP phenomenon.

Confirms that NASA are currently investigating. Does not rule out the ET hypothesis.

As I said, this is absolutely fucking wild. NASA and the Pentagon going from decades of outright denial to ... this is really fucking weird.

19 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

This is wild. 

NASA's top guy sits down with CNN to discuss the UAP phenomenon.

Confirms that NASA are currently investigating. Does not rule out the ET hypothesis.

As I said, this is absolutely fucking wild. NASA and the Pentagon going from decades of outright denial to ... this is really fucking weird.

It's not weird.  I think this is all a ploy so they can ask for more funding.  Whether they say it's aliens or other nations tech at work theyre going to ask for more $ for the MIC war machines.  

22 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

It's not weird.  I think this is all a ploy so they can ask for more funding.  Whether they say it's aliens or other nations tech at work theyre going to ask for more $ for the MIC war machines.  

If that's the objective why wait until now? I mean, there's a whole bunch of clips detailing NASA encounters with UAPs that have been circulating for years.

But why is the US war machine suddenly admitting to aircraft operating in American airspace that they have zero information on, and, far more importantly, zero control over? This is a complete reversal of the US policy of absolute denial, enacted in the aftermath of 1952's Washington Incident.

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

If that's the objective why wait until now? I mean, there's a whole bunch of clips detailing NASA encounters with UAPs that have been circulating for years.

But why is the US war machine suddenly admitting to aircraft operating in American airspace that they have zero information on, and, far more importantly, zero control over? This is a complete reversal of the US policy of absolute denial, enacted in the aftermath of 1952's Washington Incident.

That's a fair question, my guess is that none of the other bogeymen are really out there right now - I mean they're ramming the Russia shit down our throats too, but my guess is now they've got the Space Force, there's an easy slush fund right there.  Maybe combine that with the desire to weaken some privacy issues with regard to surveillance and it's an easy way to do it.  

Additionally, you've got the younger half of the country that seems to really want to increase spending in other areas, maybe the Pentagon is worried they could get the financial squeeze at some point.

I honestly don’t think defense funding is part of the calculus. Even from a more liberal (by US standards) political standpoint there are valid reasons for the United States, first of all to get its shit together, but also to stand as a viable alternative on the world stage to Russia and particularly China.

China is poised to overtake the US economy and they are leading in some important technological areas like AI due to the nature of their society where indiscriminate data harvesting gives them an incredible advantage in training algorithms. They have been making infrastructure and economic investments all over the world and are building up their military and beginning to flex their muscles. 

China is an authoritarian surveillance state actively engaged in ethnic cleansing. IMO it’s a totally valid stance for the US to make it a point to compete with China both economically and militarily because I do not think that a shift to a China-centric global model is a good thing under China’s current government. At least as far as the US can hang onto a constitutional democracy I would prefer not to cede that ground without some pushback.

As to the actual motivation for the change in UAP policy, I have no idea. But I do not think it’s a sneaky way to justify future defense budgets because the rise of China is sufficient justification for that without inventing something that will naturally be subject to widespread skepticism. 

I think the reason is pretty simple: camera phones and the internet. As sceptical as I am that these are aliens, lin large part because I just don't get why they'd be here in such a limited form - I feel like it'd be either entirely solar-system flybys or a more visible, active presence, this hide-and-seek just doesn't make a lot of sense - we've gone from lots and lots of non-credible incidents to much fewer but when they are there's evidence that something was there, and that evidence is immediately available to everyone. Thus silence and denial just isn't plausible long-term anymore because conspiracy theories spread much easier and if there's truth out there it can spread much easier too.

On 6/5/2021 at 7:09 AM, polishgenius said:

I think the reason is pretty simple: camera phones and the internet. As sceptical as I am that these are aliens, lin large part because I just don't get why they'd be here in such a limited form - I feel like it'd be either entirely solar-system flybys or a more visible, active presence, this hide-and-seek just doesn't make a lot of sense - we've gone from lots and lots of non-credible incidents to much fewer but when they are there's evidence that something was there, and that evidence is immediately available to everyone. Thus silence and denial just isn't plausible long-term anymore because conspiracy theories spread much easier and if there's truth out there it can spread much easier too.

It is unusual in that if there are interlopers of some kind, clearly they have the ability to go undetected 99% of the time, so why not 100% of the time? Why blow your cover to appear above five people in the middle of nowhere? And if you don't give a shit who sees you, why not appear in broad daylight above New York City?

It makes you wonder if the Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy was onto something:

Teasers

Teasers are usually rich kids with nothing to do. They cruise around looking for planets which haven't made interstellar contact yet and buzz them.

They find some isolated spot with very few people around, then land right by some poor soul whom no one's ever going to believe and then strut up and down in front of him wearing silly antennae on their heads and making beep beep noises.

Rather childish really.

It also illustrates the problem most movies have, which is that aliens appear to invariably end up in the North American continent in fuzzy pictures. Why not more over China or Russia? And how did they manage to get undetected through all the satellites and telescopes we have during their voyage through space?

9 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

And how did they manage to get undetected through all the satellites and telescopes we have during their voyage through space?

I mean, this one's not that difficult: space is really fucking big. And we tend to rely on sunlight reflecting off things to spot them so it wouldn't need stealth technology much beyond painting it black to really throw us off. We didn't even spot ʻOumuamua until it was already leaving the system, and that's reflective (albeit small). Admittedly the approach to Earth itself might be a bit tougher but we're talking theoretical visitors that can travel interstellar distances, once you're already going there I think it's safe to assume some sneak capabilities.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

It is unusual in that if there are interlopers of some kind, clearly they have the ability to go undetected 99% of the time, so why not 100% of the time?

Technical glitches? Having the ability to create machines with incredible capabilities doesn't necessarily mean having the ability to create machines that never go wrong.

The French service dedicated to investigating UFOs makes its archives available online. Unfortunately, the text about the sightings themselves don't seem to be translated, but it's still fun to visit the website I think: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/en/search/cas

This page is the most interesting one I could find in English, as it sums up the GEIPAN's findings: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/en/stats

If I read this right, there's about 3,4% of all sightings that are considered genuinely troubling. The service was created in 1977, but apparently investigated cases going back to 1937. All in all, they analysed about 8000 sightings over roughly 40 years. That makes a few hundred troubling cases.

It's a shame most of the website is not translated, but I did find this scientific paper in English: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/sites/default/files/2015-09-01_Spatial_Point_Pattern_Analysis_of_the_Unidentified.pdf

48 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

The French service dedicated to investigating UFOs makes its archives available online. Unfortunately, the text about the sightings themselves don't seem to be translated, but it's still fun to visit the website I think: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/en/search/cas

This page is the most interesting one I could find in English, as it sums up the GEIPAN's findings: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/en/stats

If I read this right, there's about 3,4% of all sightings that are considered genuinely troubling. The service was created in 1977, but apparently investigated cases going back to 1937. All in all, they analysed about 8000 sightings over roughly 40 years. That makes a few hundred troubling cases.

It's a shame most of the website is not translated, but I did find this scientific paper in English: https://www.cnes-geipan.fr/sites/default/files/2015-09-01_Spatial_Point_Pattern_Analysis_of_the_Unidentified.pdf

Does that mean troubling like we can't explain it?  Or troubling like they're coming to eat us?  or troubling like even they still can't figure out practically how to make the glorious social revolution work?

• 3 weeks later...

UFO report is out: https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Prelimary-Assessment-UAP-20210625.pdf

At least the unclassified version. It's short, only 9 pages, and is basically just a very detailed summary of all unidentified sightings since 2004 and a statement that they don't know what a lot of them are. It states that there is probably no single explanation for all 144 unknown reports, but identifies 5 categories of explanations that probably covers them. One of the five is "Other", which doesn't have the word "alien" or anything similar anywhere, but is where it would go. And the reports acknowledges that there are 21 reports (covering 18 incidents) where "advanced technology" appears to be involved.

34 minutes ago, Fez said:

UFO report is out: https://www.dni.gov/files/ODNI/documents/assessments/Prelimary-Assessment-UAP-20210625.pdf

At least the unclassified version. It's short, only 9 pages, and is basically just a very detailed summary of all unidentified sightings since 2004 and a statement that they don't know what a lot of them are. It states that there is probably no single explanation for all 144 unknown reports, but identifies 5 categories of explanations that probably covers them. One of the five is "Other", which doesn't have the word "alien" or anything similar anywhere, but is where it would go. And the reports acknowledges that there are 21 reports (covering 18 incidents) where "advanced technology" appears to be involved.

White Walkers. :P

Only one object was identified with a high degree of confidence, a deflating balloon, falling in the "airborne clutter" category.

Archived