Football: The Kids Are All Right

Raja

55 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I wonder how much he got paid for being utterly shite. 

too fucking much. this had had to been the second best thing the supporters and players of newcastle have had happen in the last week. 

watch us just absolutely wreck palace on Saturday. goals by Wilson,  ASM and a defender!

9 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

The welcome kit includes a large chip for your shoulder, an inflated set of expectations, and a defibrillator.

As an arsenal supporter he should just dust those off from the Wenger years and be all set

4 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

watch us just absolutely wreck palace on Saturday. goals by Wilson,  ASM and a defender!

Unlikely since I'm going. I've never seen Newcastle win in London in person despite living there 2001-2018.  

4 hours ago, MercenaryChef said:

Steve Bruce to @lukeedwardstell: “I think it might be my last job. It has been very, very tough. To never really be wanted, to feel that people wanted me to fail & saying I would fail, that I was useless, a fat waste of space, a tactically inept cabbage head”. 

He could've just said, b-tech Sam Allardyce.

Which is really saying the same thing with less words.

Anyway, yesterday's game of the Day was surely Ajax spanking Dortmund. Anthony looked like a worldbeater. He burned through two fullbacks. first half Schulz wasn't able to cope with him, second half things didn't look any better with Can failing to stop him.

Ah, almost forgot...

16 hours ago, Spockydog said:

That was such an enjoyable game for the neutrals. Though, as a poor, downtrodden Arsenal supporter, I am now officially nominating Liverpool as my Big Team Who Win Things.

Could be worse. I mean, you could've picked Spurs instead of Arsenal, when you moved to London. Then, you could indeed need a team that can actually win things, not necessarily something big, but just anything.

21 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Could be worse. I mean, you could've picked Spurs instead of Arsenal, when you moved to London. Then, you could indeed need a team that can actually win things, not necessarily something big, but just anything.

Back then, I already had an affinity with Liverpool following Kenny Dalglish's move from Celtic. But my Grandad had always said that you should support whichever football club is closest to you geographically. When we left Glasgow, we moved to a tiny flat on Camden Road in North London. On match days you could hear the noise from Highbury. It was an easy decision to make. 

2 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

But my Grandad had always said that you should support whichever football club is closest to you geographically.

That seems like a silly argument, not to mention can lead to confusion- if there's a club two kilometers away, but I like more the one that is 2,5 km? Or what if there's a club closer to me, but their stadium is farther from the one of another club?

Or what if, say, my club is forced to play hundreds of kilometers away because Russia invaded the region and they were forced to move for fear of their stadium getting bombarded?

Or what if you move within the same city? The club I support was indeed the closest geographically to where I lived when I was born and when I started watching football, but afterwards I moved slightly closer to two of it's greatest rivals. Should I support one of them instead?

16 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

That seems like a silly argument, not to mention can lead to confusion- if there's a club two kilometers away, but I like more the one that is 2,5 km? Or what if there's a club closer to me, but their stadium is farther from the one of another club?

I think you'd get a pass. No need to take things so seriously. 

Anyway, regardless of anything my grandad might have said, living in London and supporting Liverpool would have been weird and unfulfilling. You would never get to see them. There was literally no football on TV other than MotD and the occasional FA Cup game. That's partly why the kids at school who claimed to support Liverpool or Man Utd were generally viewed with suspicion.

ETA: Though, I did go to school with a guy named John Cinammon. He was a proper United supporter, back when they were proper shit. His dad took him up to Manchester every other week. John also enjoyed eating catfood straight from the can. For real. 

31 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

When we left Glasgow, we moved to a tiny flat on Camden Road in North London. On match days you could hear the noise from Highbury. It was an easy decision to make. 

Used to live on Gillespie Road. Fucking hated matchdays. Many a time I had to shake someone as they were pissing all over my wall so they ended up pissing on their shoes  

22 minutes ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

That's the rules. It's mainly a problem in London. Elsewhere there is no doubt about who your nearest team is.

Supporting a team further afield if/because they are better than your local team is just unforgiveable  

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

Used to live on Gillespie Road. Fucking hated matchdays. Many a time I had to shake someone as they were pissing all over my wall so they ended up pissing on their shoes  

My dad used to park up behind The Rainbow. Walking down Avenall Road on match days was such a brilliant feeling, but I can quite clearly remember being super glad I didn't have to live there. Nightmare.

14 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

That's the rules. It's mainly a problem in London. Elsewhere there is no doubt about who your nearest team is.

Supporting a team further afield if/because they are better than your local team is just unforgiveable  

What if you live in Liverpool and you're closer to the Everton stadium but you support Liverpool?

15 minutes ago, Darryk said:

What if you live in Liverpool and you're closer to the Everton stadium but you support Liverpool?

You have to move house. 

Joking aside, these things are usually decided for you before you are born.

People, well, working class people, will generally support whichever team the rest of your family supports. Which is usually the local team. 

Archived