Babylon 5 officially being rebooted

The Dragon Demands

Amazon UK jumped the gun so it's already out there:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/0PI0YDKAZRVTFIX7TPG5A1MJ1G/ref=share_ios_movie

Edit: they might have removed it already.

EDIT 2:  I may have misunderstood,  some people in the UK say they are watching the movie already!

Edited by SpaceChampion

Nice, all in for it if I can figure out whether I can get it in Sweden -- currently Prime Video tells me I can't pre-order the digital version to watch in Sweden, anyways. No pre-order page for the Blu-ray either, far as I can tell.

Only negative I have is that the voice actor for Franklin doesn't sound at all right, alas, whereas those for Zathras, Sinclair, and even G'kar are in the right ballpark. I do notice that we did not hear Delenn at all, though.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The time travel aspect is already well established in B5 canon… so this isn’t that huge a stretch.

It should be noted that JMS vehemently denied that parallel timelines or universes were part of the B5 universe when War Without End aired, but that "potential futures" were a thing (to explain the Ivanova video). Later on it became clearer that was a bit of a reach because War Without End wasn't really supposed to exist, and he had to do a massive amount of retrofitting for it to line up and make sense with Babylon Squared when the original assumptions he had whilst writing Babylon Squared were completely different (i.e. Sinclair staying on the show until the end), and left a lot of plot holes behind him.

Of course, that's not said in the show itself, so he can now say there are alternate timelines if he wants to.

The Lurker's Guide has the relevant quotes:

There are no alternate universes, only alternate or possible futures. If they didn't go back, the future in which Sinclair is there with Garibaldi -- having come back to see through the final battle -- and in which Sheridan is killed, and Ivanova is calling for help...that future will come true.

and

Sinclair went back because he would always go back and always went back; the "alternate" timeline phrase isn't quite correct... t's more like the moment when the two possible wave forms of *possibilities* must collapse into one probability or certainty, both tugging at the same time. For instance, you've got Shroedinger's cat, put into a box, with a 50/50 chance of a poison gas capsule opening and killing the cat. At the instant before you open the box, Shroedinger said, the cat is neither dead nor alive, but *both*, until you open the box and the two possibilities collapse into one. It isn't that the cat had two alternate timelines, only that there were two possibilities fighting it out to become the real one.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

You can square the circle, I suppose, by saying that in the normal course of the universe, what has happened will always happen from the perspective of the observer... but an observer "unstuck in time" in a novel way may, when thrust into the past, end up finding himself falling into or glimpsing "futures" (from the perspective of the past)  that did not come to pass, such as the one where they lost the war against the Shadows. Just because those futures collapsed into the One True Timeline doesn't mean you can't end up unraveling them due to tachyon-related technobabble and visiting them again, but it's still an uncollapsed possible future and not in fact an actual alternative universe (because there is only ever One True Universe), despite Zathras's language.

Or something. I'm sure JMS will be asked about it.

Edited by Ran

I'll certainly watch it the very day it becomes available, but to be honest, I'm not entirely convinced. The plot seems like a remake of "All Good Things", the animation from the characters and the one from the space scenes do not seem to match very well, and the trailer itself is not that good.

Still hoping that it turns out to be great, though.

Edited by The hairy bear

I watched the trailer, I liked it and I'm looking forward to the movie.

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

The trailer ... o gawdz does this look and sound awful.  Why why why did they ruin the great memories I had of watching the original over a very, very, long summer?  It was as perfect as could be.

You realize you're coming dangerously close to "You ruined my childhood!" ;)

In any case,

The Lost Tales?

Crusade*?

Legends of the Rangers?

Grey 17 is Missing?

The Byron arc of Season 5?

There is plenty of Babylon 5 and Babylon 5 related stories that have already been out that is pretty God awful. If this movie is too, it can be filed away with those others, this universe is far from perfect, and I'm OK with that.

If it's subpar I can file it away with those other instances and it won't diminish the love I have for the franchise as a whole.

I'm glad JMS keeps throwing stuff at the B5 wall, before we had the Trek movies, TNG, and DS9 we had Star Trek: The Animated Series...which turned out better than it had any right to be, even with the 70's animation and every alien sounding like James Doohan.

If not this movie, then maybe something else will stick and B5 will have a Renaissance era like Trek did. 

*Crusade is only bad because it got sabotaged before it even started airing. If given an honest chance it had potential to be almost as good as B5.

1 hour ago, drawkcabi said:

childhood

I was a far from a child when I watched this series.  I haven't watched anything made after the canon of the original B-5; I tried something once, and it was so bad I was gone in minutes.

• 3 weeks later...

Babylon 5: The Road Home will premiere at San Diego Comic-Con.

The promised SDCC premier of B5: The Road Home has been announced:
"And finally, on Saturday, July 22, join Babylon 5: The Road Home at 6:30pm in Room 6BCF. Celebrate the 30th anniversary of the original series and catch the world premiere of the animated film from series creator J. Michael Straczynski, along with returning original series actors Bruce Boxleitner, Claudia Christian, Tracy Scoggins and Patricia Tallman."

• 2 weeks later...