What would Aegon the Conqueror have thought of his successors ?

What do you think that Aegon the Conqueror would have thought of his sons, and of all his descendants who sat on the Iron Throne as kings (or queen in Rhaenyra's case) ? 

Which ones of his Targaryen successors would he have been proud of ? Which one in particular would have gotten his best approval ? 

Who would disappoint him ? And which ones would he find to be okay, not really good but not bad either ? 

2 hours ago, Terrorthatflapsinthenight9 said:

What do you think that Aegon the Conqueror would have thought of his sons, and of all his descendants who sat on the Iron Throne as kings (or queen in Rhaenyra's case) ? 

Which ones of his Targaryen successors would he have been proud of ? Which one in particular would have gotten his best approval ? 

Who would disappoint him ? And which ones would he find to be okay, not really good but not bad either ? 

well, he was all about coquetting meaning he wouldn't hate war. but he wanted to have a peaceful realm and he also wanted to get to know his people and be loved by them.

one thing is for sure. he'd be disappointed at his own sons, especially Maegor. (Aenys wasn't bad really)

I suppose he would have thought Jaehaerys I , Jaehaerys II, Aegon V and Viserys II were alright . He'd approve Aegon III as well considering he held the realm together and had a peaceful reign though he'd probably would have liked him more if he had traveled the lands to win people's love. I guess he wouldn't hate Maekar too.

I guess at the beginning of Daeron I's reign , he'd be proud but then he'd be disappointed and be like: he lost Dorne just the way I did!... then he'd be suprised by Daeron II and admire him. 

He would be devastated by Baelor and Aerys I since they didn't even try to continue the dynasty Aegon had built. he wouldn't be that happy with Viserys I due to the factions in his court. Rhaenaera wasn't the type of ruler Aegon would have liked too because of the executions and not giving the option of mercy when she first took over king's landing .

and finally I think he would have liked to cut his own wrist at the sight of Aegon IV , Aegon II and Aerys II. 

Meh. I think that, having access to the records of the Targaryen family history as Valyrian Freeholders and as Lords of Dragonstone, he was well aware that half the Targaryen go mad, so he  would probably shrug the crazy and incompetent ones off as wrong tosses of the coin...

But he wouldn't be happy about the Blacks and Greens driving the dragons to extinction during the Dance of Dragons... he would be mad about that. With dragons, the Targaryen could endure as monarchs despite a hundred mad kings... without dragons, it is a countdown to being dethroned and eventually fall into being just another petty noble family claiming a long gone glorious past...

His successors held the kingdom together for approximately 300 years.. Westeros experienced long periods of peace and prosperity. Most of the Targaryens who sat the throne were able people. The Targaryens held Westeros and kept it together for three centuries. The Baratheons could not even hold it together for a very small fraction of that time.  The Baratheon, Stark, and Lannister families could not prevent Westeros from breakng. House Targaryen is the greatest, most accomlished family in Westeros. 

5 hours ago, Laren Dorr said:

His successors held the kingdom together for approximately 300 years..

Which is not a big deal in a world where dynasties (unrealistically) last for millennia. The Starks, Gardeners, Lannisters or Durrandons were all kings for more than 6,000 years.

6 hours ago, Laren Dorr said:

Most of the Targaryens who sat the throne were able people.

That's very disputable. As I see it, the breakdown would be:

• 6 able-ish kings: Aegon I, Jaehaerys I, Aegon III, Daeron II, Maekar, Aegon V
  • 6 lame kings: Aenys I, Viserys I, Aegon II, Daeron I, Baelor, Aerys I
  • 3 dangerous psychopaths: Maegor, Aegon IV, Aerys II
  • 2 kings with too short a reign to say: Viserys II, Jaehaerys II

21 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Which is not a big deal in a world where dynasties (unrealistically) last for millennia. The Starks, Gardeners, Lannisters or Durrandons were all kings for more than 6,000 years.

The Baratheons are also his offspring, so you can count a lame King and another dangerous psychopath there.

Btw, Daeron I was awesome. 

I think the only ones that would've made him deeply proud and happy were:

• Jaehaerys I
  • Viserys II
  • Daeron I
  • Daeron II
  • Maekar
  • Aegon V
  • and Daenerys

I also like to think he would've adored Daena the Defiant, Aemon the Dragonknight, Rhaenys Targaryen, Laena Velaryon, Rhaegar Targaryen, Baelor Breakspear, Archmaester Vaegon, Elaena Targaryen, Aerea Targaryen, Jacaerys Velaryon, Daeron I, the first two Daenerys Targaryen and Baelor I. 

15 hours ago, EggBlue said:

well, he was all about coquetting meaning he wouldn't hate war. but he wanted to have a peaceful realm and he also wanted to get to know his people and be loved by them.

one thing is for sure. he'd be disappointed at his own sons, especially Maegor. (Aenys wasn't bad really)

Aenys was bad in the sense that he was weak (physically and emotionally), indecisive and irresponsible (over-delegating is a sign of irresponsibility)

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I would put Aegon III in the "lame" category, Aegon II in the "dangerous psychopath" category and Baelor in the "able-ish" category

48 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

I would put Aegon III in the "lame" category, Aegon II in the "dangerous psychopath" category and Baelor in the "able-ish" category

I'd like to disagree with you on Aegon III and Baelor... Aegon III was wayyyy better than baelor! Baelor seemed promising at the beginning of his reign when he made peace with Dorne after that bloody war and signed a marriage contract that later became helpful when DII brought Dorne into the 7 kingdoms but later he made horrible choices. for one (that AC would probably care a lot about) , he had no children and by imprisoning his sisters he made sure they didn't too; leaving the throne for Aegon lusty unworthy!   Aegon III had a peaceful realm and happy people and he had to deal with controlling regents,  aftermath of the wars , all Daeron pretenders , Alys Rivers in Harrenhal and stabilizing Targ rule after their dragon power died out...all while he was deeply depressed. I mean that is impressive! ... don't you think?!

5 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

I'd like to disagree with you on Aegon III and Baelor... Aegon III was wayyyy better than baelor! Baelor seemed promising at the beginning of his reign when he made peace with Dorne after that bloody war and signed a marriage contract that later became helpful when DII brought Dorne into the 7 kingdoms but later he made horrible choices. for one (that AC would probably care a lot about) , he had no children and by imprisoning his sisters he made sure they didn't too; leaving the throne for Aegon lusty unworthy!   Aegon III had a peaceful realm and happy people and he had to deal with controlling regents,  aftermath of the wars , all Daeron pretenders , Alys Rivers in Harrenhal and stabilizing Targ rule after their dragon power died out...all while he was deeply depressed. I mean that is impressive! ... don't you think?!

You're right.

I forgot all about Baelor's imprisonment of his sisters. As horrible, idiotic and unnecessary as that was, it made his decision to not have children much more disastrous.

In regards to Aegon III? I see your point. I might have to wait until Fire and Blood, Vol. 2 to give me more details so as to change my mind on his reign. But I didn't like Aegon III because not only did all the remaining dragons die on his watch but that no one was able to hatch and raise any dragons to adulthood...also on his watch. But you made all very good points!

2 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

In regards to Aegon III? I see your point. I might have to wait until Fire and Blood, Vol. 2 to give me more details so as to change my mind on his reign. But I didn't like Aegon III because not only did all the remaining dragons die on his watch but that no one was able to hatch and raise any dragons to adulthood...also on his watch. But you made all very good points!

if that ever comes out! I think you blame Aegon too much in regards to the dragons..  the first failures in hatching dragons happened in Viserys's reign after all. But there is one place Aegon III really sucked and that was grooming his sons! one only kept the throne for 4 years and the other starved himself to death:P

Just now, EggBlue said:

if that ever comes out! I think you blame Aegon too much in regards to the dragons..  the first failures in hatching dragons happened in Viserys's reign after all. But there is one place Aegon III really sucked and that was grooming his sons! one only kept the throne for 4 years and the other starved himself to death:P

Good points; I agree.

The daughters of Aegon III (particularly Daena and Elaena) were more than able however.

Aenys: He would have been disappointed

Maegor:He would have been horrified

Jahaerys: He would have been happy with him at first but would have been disappointed later after rhaenys and baelon. 

Viserys:He would have been mostly happy but would have thought him a fool. 

Aegon ii: He would have been disgusted at him. 

Rhaenyra:He would have thought her a bit harsh but mostly good. 

Aegon iii: He would have been satisfied with him. 

Daeron: He would have been proud of daeron. 

Baelor:He would have been horrified. 

Viserys ii: He would have been sad that viserys died and called him a noble king. 

Aegon IV: He would have been disgusted. 

Daeron II: He would have been proud. 

Aerys:He would be a bit disappointed but only a bit otherwise he would have been alright. 

Maekar:He would have been happy with maekar but sad that he died. 

Aegon V: He would have been satisfied with aegon v but disappointed at the end. 

Jahaerys II: He would have been happy with his rule but sad about his early death. 

Aerys II: He would have been disgusted by aerys ii in his early reign but felt sad about him in the lat.er one

I think it really depends what his goals are. We aren't privy to this exactly. F&B, WOIAF, and the characters focus on his vision of conquest, but I personally lean towards the theory of "Aegon wanted to unite the kingdoms so they were ready to fight the Others, who were coming soon." And that he knew about the Others through either the visions of Daenys the Dreamer or the Song of Ice and Fire (or both, since some speculate she wrote the song). Daenys was Aegon I's great-great-great-grandmother, but the timeline means it's possible that he met her. Maybe. Maester Aemon was the great-great-great-uncle of Jon, though neither of them knew it.

If that was his intention, I think he would be sorely disappointed in his descendants, until we get to Aegon V, Maester Aemon, and Rhaegar. All of them were driven by prophecy.

If his vision is conquest alone, then Daeron and Viserys II are probably big on him.

I assume that Aegon I would have understood that without Maegor Iron Throne would not had survived. Or Maegor and his mother saved Targ dynasty. After all Aenys totally lost the ball and his heirs did nothing when superteam M&V and their dragons wiped out most people who challenged legitimacy of Targ dynasty and their right to rule Westeros. Or those heirs of Aenys challenged king M only when M&V had already smashed all rebellions and practically done all necessary work.

Except from the good kings  he would have admired Alysanne, Aemon and Baelon sons of Jaehaerys, Daemon son of Baelon, Rhaenys the queen who never was and her daughter Laena Velaryon, Daeron the Daring, Rhaenyra's Strong sons, Baela Velaryon and Rhaena Corbray, Aemon the Dragonknight, Daemon Blackfyre, Daenerys the princess of Dorne, Baelor son of Daeron II and his sons, Aemon the maester, Elaena daughter of Aegon III and surely Daenerys I who revived the dragons.

Archived