COVID 46 - Please disperse, nothing to see here!

Week

COVID-19 reinfection occurred in 354 of 83,356 vaccinated participants (0.4%; 2.5 cases per 100,000 person-days) and in 2,168 of 65,676 of their unvaccinated peers (3.3%; 10.2 per 100,000).

We've known for a while that vaccination after infection helps prevent reinfection.  This study shows some solid figures.  Although it was during Delta times.  But you can see why it was favoured.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/02/covid-vaccines-offer-lasting-protection-against-reinfection-studies-find

I saw a story on my news feed that said there’s a man in Turkey who, 14 months later, still tests positive for Covid.

Yesterday while I was watching protesters being pressed away from Parliament Hill in Ottawa, they did a brief story about Covid patients in Canada. Researchers have found that a very common side-effect of Covid seems to be having nightmares, some people having constant nightmares whenever they fall asleep.

The scariest part of covid is the fact that it crosses the species barrier so readily. That means there will always be  a reservoir hidden away and making it almost impossible to eradicate. 

Why are some health authorities so stubbornly opposed to having vaccinators aspirate before they inject?

If your vaccine was administered without aspiration prior to injection I think it is worth considering sending an email or letter to your local politician or directly to the health department requesting a change in vaccine administration guideline. To think some people may have got myocarditis from wrong administration of the vaccine because of a lack of a simple step in the procedure. Not good.

8 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Why are some health authorities so stubbornly opposed to having vaccinators aspirate before they inject?

If your vaccine was administered without aspiration prior to injection I think it is worth considering sending an email or letter to your local politician or directly to the health department requesting a change in vaccine administration guideline. To think some people may have got myocarditis from wrong administration of the vaccine because of a lack of a simple step in the procedure. Not good.

As far as I’m aware you don’t need to aspirate when vaccinating because you are injecting directly into the muscle, not the blood vessel.

Ive seen numerous people discuss how the guy in the above video has gone off the rails and is pumping out covid misinformation. I haven’t watched any of his stuff but did notice it tends to crop up on my feed. 

7 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I saw a story on my news feed that said there’s a man in Turkey who, 14 months later, still tests positive for Covid.

Yesterday while I was watching protesters being pressed away from Parliament Hill in Ottawa, they did a brief story about Covid patients in Canada. Researchers have found that a very common side-effect of Covid seems to be having nightmares, some people having constant nightmares whenever they fall asleep.

I Germany they have found the virus in long COVID patients up to 270 days after infection. Supposedly it can hide from the immune system in certain parts of the body.

The brain does not seem impossible although I have not read more about it as I try to limit my COVID news intake a bit now.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

As far as I’m aware you don’t need to aspirate when vaccinating because you are injecting directly into the muscle, not the blood vessel.

Ive seen numerous people discuss how the guy in the above video has gone off the rails and is pumping out covid misinformation. I haven’t watched any of his stuff but did notice it tends to crop up on my feed. 

He has slid into some not so reliable stuff, and while I found him to be reliable early on in the pandemic I have found myself having problems with more of his videos as time has gone on. But, when it comes to IM injections, what he's saying here, and has been saying, is standard practice. Whenever giving injections intended to into the muscle, it is best clinical practice to aspirate (draw back a the plunger little) to make sure you are not in a blood vessel. There are blood vessels throughout muscle tissue, and there is always a small risk of injecting into a blood vessel and that risk can be eliminated by aspirating first. 

If vaccine effectiveness and safety is unaffected if some or all gets injected into a blood vessel, then there is a case to be made that aspiration is not needed. But if there are risks or reduced effectiveness with delivery into a blood vessel then aspiration should be practised.

To be clear, standard clinical practice is: You aspirate when intending to inject into the blood (draw a bit of blood into the syringe) to make sure you are in a blood vessel before injecting; You aspirate when intending to inject into the muscle or under the skin to make sure you don't get any blood in the syringe before injecting. It is pretty much injecting 101 for medical / vet students, you get a telling off by the teaching clinician if you forget to do it. Reliably hitting cat veins for IV injections was always a challenge.

12 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I seem to recall there is some technicality that makes health guidelines regarding aspiration complicated. I don't remember exactly the problem though.

Yes, there is a mouse study that shows there is increasing risk of myocarditis when the vaccine hits your bloodstream. It was also one of the hypothesis regarding that clotting disorder related to the AZ vaccine.

It's indeed a possibility and findings ways to reduce that risk should be researched as the affected population is typically low risk so the risk-benefit calculus changes dramatically. It is one of the reasons for example that Nordic countries are not recommending the Moderna vaccine to under 30 males and they haven't been very keen to push the vaccine on children and teens. 

There are of course other factors. The fact that younger males are at higher risk in contrast to older ones and even children makes me to suspect some hormonal component (testosterone?). Also, there hasn't been any guideline regarding exercise which might increase the chances (also after a viral infection). 

EDIT: Apparently Germany is now recommending aspiration.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There is a whole episode of debunk the funk dedicated to him 

Thanks for that.

Of the two videos Dr Wilson covers I hadn't seen the one about the cardiac study, but I did watch the death certificates one, and I was so disappointed in that video I emailed Dr Campbell and pointed out the egregious flaws of his interpretation in the video. I think over the last couple of years I've emails Dr Campbell 3 times to critique his videos, the first two times he replied saying thanks for the input. That last time I got no reply from him.

I looked at the aspiration video linked from Dr Wilson's video, and the points about aspiration look pretty valid. Though I think some points might be up for debate, if the expert consensus on vaccine administration in general is that aspiration is unnecessary I'll accept that. Just as well I didn't send anything into my MP. Backing off doing that now.

It is a shame to see his fall. He says he's interested in being challenged, however as per this video he doesn't seem to want to interview anyone who might actually disagree with him. He seems to only interview people who agree with is perspectives. It's hard to bring someone in to tell you why you're wrong, but if you are a promoting yourself as a fierce advocate for science and truth then you need to hold yourself up to critical review.

Campbell wants safe vaccination, I am pretty sure, and he's jumped on things like aspiration in an effort to make vaccination more safe, but his intention has turned into a rallying cry for anti-vaxxer. He wants cheap therapies for COVID-19 so people in poor countries can deal with the disease, so he got pretty excited about HCQ, but because he hadn't fallen down the rabbit hole he managed to review the science that debunked it and turn away from it. But with Ivermectin he's jumped in boots and all.

Well I tested positive today. I started feeling like crap on Friday and it just kept getting worse. I’m very fatigued and just achy all over with a headache. Tylenol has worked wonders though. 

I was vaccinated last May but never got a booster out of pure laziness really(my mom yelled at me over text messages already- I get it). I do have asthma so that was a little bit of a worry but my breathing has been fine. I’m starting to feel better already so hopefully the worst is behind me. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

hopefully the worst is behind me. 

Hope so too, thanks to the vaccine -- wish you'd gotten the booster -- you'd would be feeling even better.  

Queen of England got the booster; she's suffering like with a mild cold now.  She's in her 90's.  Vaccines and boosters are the life-savers in every way.

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

Well I tested positive today. I started feeling like crap on Friday and it just kept getting worse. I’m very fatigued and just achy all over with a headache. Tylenol has worked wonders though. 

I was vaccinated last May but never got a booster out of pure laziness really(my mom yelled at me over text messages already- I get it). I do have asthma so that was a little bit of a worry but my breathing has been fine. I’m starting to feel better already so hopefully the worst is behind me. 

You survived Eli Manning, you'll get over this. Feel better bud. 

Test positivity today is 12% so the omicron wave is well and truly inundating us. The testing rate is on the low side and govt advice and mandatory testing requirements are meaning a lot of non-symptomatic people will not be getting tested, so the official numbers will be well short of actual numbers.

Govt has said today that they expect the omicron peak to be some time in the next 3-6 weeks. They have also signalled the removal of mandates and restrictions progressively once the omicron peaks is definitively over. We will be well into autumn and heading to winter when we are past the omicron peak, so it's not the best time of year to be reducing mandates and restrictions. There's a possibility of a second wave in winter I suppose, which will also coincide with people who've been boosted starting to lose the protections of being boosted. We will just have to hope that if there is another wave it won't stretch the health system too much.

I think NZ will be fine. Very few countries have gone through this without high levels of test positivity (Ireland was >40% for weeks). You can safely extrapolate from Australia how things will look like. Currently Omicron seems to have a CFR of 0.1% or less in highly immune populations (putting the IFR to even lower values). This is about the same as influenza. A lot of the pressure of course come from the speed of the waves and the disruption from many quarantined individuals. ICUs around the world (except US) do not seem to feel a large pressure, although hospitalization does increase by a large amount, but in many cases this is incidental. Shortage of HCW will be an issue though, when many of them get infected at the same time.

So, yes there will be disruptions and general anxiety but overall things will be fine.

Edit: Regarding winter. I wouldn't worry too much (unless a new variant mess things up). Population immunity will be further boosted by Omicron during the coming weeks/months and it will one wane towards spring. There will be some little waving associated to weather and social patterns but unlikely to make things difficult.

9 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Number 4: rampant capitalism 

Yes, the confluence of the previous three plus capitalism is a particularly caustic witch's brew that we created.

Also, another study on ivermectin:

https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/02/ivermectin-fails-another-covid-trial-as-study-links-use-to-gop-politics/

Not the first time

While some early clinical work had suggested ivermectin may be effective for treating COVID-19, experts have since noted methodological weaknesses in those studies. Moreover, the findings in the Malaysia trial echo two other randomized clinical trials, in Colombia and Argentina. These trials also found no benefit to using ivermectin to improve COVID-19 symptoms or reduce hospitalization rates.

Overall, the authors of the Malaysian trial conclude that, in their "randomized clinical trial of high-risk patients with mild to moderate COVID-19, ivermectin treatment during early illness did not prevent progression to severe disease. The study findings do not support the use of ivermectin for patients with COVID-19."

@mcbigski -- past time to finally let that one go.

Archived