Brandon Sanderson's Towers of Cash

SpaceChampion

26 minutes ago, baxus said:

You are entitled to your opinion, you may be right or you may be wrong, but if there's a reason to come here and reiterate your point again and again I'd be very curious to hear it.

Saw the thread saw me quoted.  Responded.  Nothing more than that.

But it's not as if Ninefingers went around the board, found something you said in another thread, took your post from there and quoted you in this thread to move the discussion to a more appropriate spot. He quoted your umpteenth message in Sanderson thread in which you were saying "there's better authors than Sanderson".

I mean, there's quite a few threads on this board related to topics I'm not interested in. I don't feel the need to post "but there's a better topic <here>" in those threads, so I was wondering what is it that makes you feel that your input is required in this thread. As I said, we get that you don't rate Sanderson, that is your right, no one resents you for it or holds it against you. Just move the fuck along and stop raining on people's parades. Or don't. As I already said:

39 minutes ago, baxus said:

I'm not board police to tell people what they can and can't do. You may also feel free to remain here and act like a wanker. The choice is yours.

On 5/1/2024 at 3:43 AM, Werthead said:

Apparently the circulating draft of Book 5 is well north of half a million words, and will probably be the longest book in the series.

I don't see this as a selling point at all and just feel weary at the idea. Way of Kings earned its length (more or less) through introducing this whole new, mad world, and it's the shortest of the five so far. Each successive book has featured less and less critical plot movements and more and more diarrhoea of words which don't say very much. Each successive book has less plot than any one Mistborn novel, despite each one being 4-5 times longer.

I am looking forward to the successor Mistborn trilogy, especially if he can execute it as quickly as he thinks he can.

Yeah I really don't get why Sanderson is doing this to Stormlight. There's some cool ideas in there, but Sanderson has at this point watered the story down to a point that I feel almost no particular excitement for book 5. I barely remember what happened in book 4. 

The world and its history have also gone through so many meaningless "twists" that at this point, it seems like a bad parody of the Malazan world (and I say this as someone who has never been a particular fan of the needless extra 0s Erickson and Esselmont have added to their world's history). It feels like an attempt to cram every idea he's ever had into one world, to the point where "bloated mess" seems insufficient to describe it all.

Definitely look forward to his next Mistborn trilogy, but I hope Stormlight isn't a sign of how he'll write those books.

2 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Yeah I really don't get why Sanderson is doing this to Stormlight. There's some cool ideas in there, but Sanderson has at this point watered the story down to a point that I feel almost no particular excitement for book 5. I barely remember what happened in book 4. 

The world and its history have also gone through so many meaningless "twists" that at this point, it seems like a bad parody of the Malazan world (and I say this as someone who has never been a particular fan of the needless extra 0s Erickson and Esselmont have added to their world's history). It feels like an attempt to cram every idea he's ever had into one world, to the point where "bloated mess" seems insufficient to describe it all.

Definitely look forward to his next Mistborn trilogy, but I hope Stormlight isn't a sign of how he'll write those books.

I really do think he decided to write a 10 X 1,000 page series first, and then tried to figure out a story that would fill it rather than coming up with a story and figuring out how many pages/books it would take to tell it. The result is bloat.

I think it's become increasingly clear that Sanderson has no editorial hand constraining him. I believe he's stated outright that he enjoys vomiting all his ideas out onto the page but dislikes rewriting and editing, and at this point sales juggernaut that he is nobody's going to make him carve out the good book from the surrounding bloat when it'll sell hugely regardless. 

What is annoying is that he did say early on that Way of Kings would be the longest novel and the rest would be shorter, and he's since bemoaned how big the books are because of the time they take, so if he reduced the books from say 1,400 pages to around 750 pages, they'd still be bloody big books, but much more digestible and he'd shave at least a year off the writing of each one.

I do wonder if he's planning to significantly shorten the books in the second half of the series, bearing in mind it's taken 15 years to produce the first half and will presumably take the same to produce the second, if not longer as he's likely to slow down as he gets older.

17 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sanderson is a big mac.  It is dependable and consistent… sometimes it’s fresh and well made… better than usual… but it is never a gourmet meal for all that it is easily obtainable.

Nah nah anh, you've got it all wrong. First of all, what the hell kind of Big Macs are YOU eating? What are they, the size of a Ford pickup trick or something? :D At least a standard Big Mac can be finished in one meal! As can a gourmet meal! 

No, Sanderson is in fact the family New Years dinner and month's worth of leftovers. He's all the turkey, Salad Olivier, sashimi, horse radish and coriander, and remaining bottles of champagne that no one consumed on new years eve! It's the meal that lasts you a month! THAT is a Sanderson novel! :D 

6 hours ago, Werthead said:

I do wonder if he's planning to significantly shorten the books in the second half of the series, bearing in mind it's taken 15 years to produce the first half and will presumably take the same to produce the second, if not longer as he's likely to slow down as he gets older.

I’ll see if I can dig out the source later, but I’m fairly sure he’s said that. He sees it as two distinct 5 book arcs and believes the second should be shorter. But as you point out, he thought that about the first so… *shrug*

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 12:18 PM, A True Kaniggit said:

The longer you go without eating, the hungrier you get.

Eventually you will begin to starve  

And when you are starving enough, anything tastes delicious.

So...this is what life like would be like if there were no libraries or bookstores? :D

Edited by IlyaP
Typo

15 hours ago, polishgenius said:

What I'm getting from this topic is that Brandon Sanderson is George Lucas. 

Sorry if I gave that impression. 

I enjoy Sanderson’s work. I haven’t read all of his material, but nothing I’ve read by him comes remotely close to the pile of steaming typhoid shit that is The Rise of Skywalker. 

3 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Will personally take Rise of Skywalker over any Brandon Sanderson novel any day. Sorry, True Kaniggit. 

Whoa… now there’s allowing for personal taste, and there’s whatever that statement is.

For all of Sanderson’s mass production sins, he will never open a book “Somehow… Odium has returned…”

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Whoa… now there’s allowing for personal taste, and there’s whatever that statement is.

It's a two hour movie and I'm a slow reader, so a two hour movie beats reading a writer whose prose does absolutely nothing for me and goes on and on for hundreds of pages.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

For all of Sanderson’s mass production sins, he will never open a book “Somehow… Odium has returned…”

I don't even know what that means. Presumably some character from one of the novels he just spawned in the last five minutes? :D

Edited by IlyaP

17 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Sorry if I gave that impression. 

I enjoy Sanderson’s work. I haven’t read all of his material, but nothing I’ve read by him comes remotely close to the pile of steaming typhoid shit that is The Rise of Skywalker. 

It seems a bit unfair to blame George Lucas for a movie he had no involvement with.

• 2 weeks later...