Watch, Watched, Watching: Mr and Mrs Smith and Other Famous Hits

IFR

FETV has been showing two episodes a night, every week, in the last couple, of Emergency! and I keep gravitating to that...a slice of my childhood, from whence the ERs and Grey's Anatomys and Chicago Meds of the world sprung forth...

15 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Death On The Nile was ok but not great.  I know some people complained about the CGI but I quite liked the backdrop and the period setting.  It felt a bit rushed to me — with an ensemble cast of many stars, it felt like the dialogue cuts were too rushed to bring in all the secondary characters.  The conversations just didn’t feel organic enough.  And Armie Hammer’s performance was terrible.  Emma Mackey was probably the best performance.  Gal Gadot’s self-centered character was too unlikable, and a change from what I remember of the original film (but my memory is hazy after three decades or more).

I watched this yesterday as well. I agree that it was just okay, I thought Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express was more entertaining and more successful at building up the characters. The prologue also seemed out of place, we didn't need the moustache origin story and the tone didn't match the rest of the film.

Just finished the penultimate episode of The Shield.  Easily one of the absolute best hours of television you'll ever see.  

Spoiler

Vic's confession...holy shit.  It gets me every time.  Chiklis' performance is incredible as he finally gets to unburden himself and admits to all the horrible things he and his Strike Team have done, from the murder of Terry Crowley to ripping off the Armenian mob to setting up Shane to be killed by a Mexican hit squad.  They could have had an entire episode solely devoted to Vic's interview with Olivia.

And the last exchange between Mackey and Olivia...

"Do you have any idea what you've done to me?"

"I've done worse."

2 hours ago, Darryk said:

Is there a decent horror movie that has come out in ages? They're all just shite nowadays. Last good one I saw was The Night House.

I hope Ti West's X was good, but I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

was good, nothing mind blowing though. Nice throwback to classic slashers with its own unique take.

I enjoyed The Night House as well, but interesting horror flicks seem few and far between lately. I’d love some good recommendations too.

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

Titane has a certain Cronenberg-esque body horror quality to it, but it may be a little too artsy. Saint Maud got some pretty good reviews, as I recall. 

I liked Saint Maud. It has one of the crazier endings I’ve seen in a while. 

I’m looking forward to Jordan Peele’s new one (Nope).

4 hours ago, Darryk said:

Is there a decent horror movie that has come out in ages? They're all just shite nowadays. Last good one I saw was The Night House.

Ages? Hereditary and Midsommar are only a couple of years old.

ETA: Just checked out the trailer for Nope. Take my money, please! 

41 minutes ago, Ran said:

Titane has a certain Cronenberg-esque body horror quality to it, but it may be a little too artsy. Saint Maud got some pretty good reviews, as I recall. 

Titane was fucking wild. I still don’t know how I really feel about it and I saw it a few months ago. My buddy who I watched it with loved it and always sends the gif of Vincent dancing. It did stick with me for the first few days after viewing though, it takes you on a crazy rollercoaster ride. 

I thought Saint Maud was decent. It dragged some.

Definitely looking forward to Nope.

5 hours ago, williamjm said:

I watched this yesterday as well. I agree that it was just okay, I thought Branagh's Murder on the Orient Express was more entertaining and more successful at building up the characters. The prologue also seemed out of place, we didn't need the moustache origin story and the tone didn't match the rest of the film.

Britbox's Why Didn't They Ask Evans was better -- until it got too long.  3 nearly hour-long episodes, which is as long as it takes to read a Christie.  :read:  However, let's face it -- the two sleuth sorts were enormously more attractive and entertaining on screen than the mustache (though I always like everything else around the lead). 

Also, let's face it -- Suchet's Poirot in Murder on the Orient Express was immensely more moving, delivering remarkably well the reactions of a man whose life had been so upended by the Germans by WWI, and now seeing the same thing taking form only decades later -- and even worse, because Suchet's Poirot recognizes the inevitability of Germany's 'race' oriented ambitions and objectives.  It nearly makes him mad.  That performance was impressive in its sense of Poirot's realities and experience, so intense, so moving.  And effective.

1 minute ago, Nictarion said:

Another recent one - Last Night in Soho. It’s definitely worth watching for Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomasin McKenzie alone. 

Soho is more thriller than horror in my book. That said, great film and that shot of the two walking down the stairs with the slate of mirrors should have earned the film an Oscar nom. 

I’d call Soho a horror-thriller. There’s some supernatural elements in it. 

I was assuming @Darryk meant horror movies from the last year or two. If not then definitely see the ones Tywin mentioned. Hereditary is an instant classic in my eyes.

The movies mentioned here, and looking up some on my own, there seems to be more recent ones than I remembered.

5 hours ago, Darryk said:

Gerald's Game. Especially if you've not read the book.

11 hours ago, briantw said:

Just finished the penultimate episode of The Shield.  Easily one of the absolute best hours of television you'll ever see.  

Reveal hidden contents

Vic's confession...holy shit.  It gets me every time.  Chiklis' performance is incredible as he finally gets to unburden himself and admits to all the horrible things he and his Strike Team have done, from the murder of Terry Crowley to ripping off the Armenian mob to setting up Shane to be killed by a Mexican hit squad.  They could have had an entire episode solely devoted to Vic's interview with Olivia.

And the last exchange between Mackey and Olivia...

"Do you have any idea what you've done to me?"

"I've done worse."

Just started this series this weekend, have some time to kill over next day or two. First couple episodes are a little over the top but it should even out.

Finished S2 of Euphoria today. The first couple episodes were ok but took me a few weeks to get back to it. Middle episodes really dragged for me but I really liked the ending episodes. Couple scenes that really hit you.

Archived