Watch, Watched, Watching: Mr and Mrs Smith and Other Famous Hits

IFR

5 hours ago, Zorral said:

The wealthy don't go in the streets -- they do their traveling by helicopter, rooftop to rooftop.  Bladerunner world.  We are in it.

Citation needed? I know jack shit about miami but this seems like a huge waste. Helicopters are extremely expensive and can't land just anywhere. 

7 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Citation needed? I know jack shit about miami but this seems like a huge waste. Helicopters are extremely expensive and can't land just anywhere. 

Rio, not Miami. Not sure if I entirely buy it, but when I lived in Buenos Aires I was not allowed to travel there or step foot in Brazil whereas the same organization was happy to help plan trips to Chile, Paraguay or Uruguay. By comparison BA was seen as rather safe so long as we stayed out of a few areas and avoided everything around one huge soccer stadium.

11 hours ago, RumHam said:

Citation needed? I

W/ye google u don't need me to do this for u, but here ya are:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2002/06/01/brazils-elites-fly-above-their-fears/c8c82fc6-c004-4ac8-ade4-b4bf2867253a/

https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2013/07/19/203611090/Protests-Seek-To-Ground-Brazils-High-Flying-VIPs

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jun/20/brazil

You have watched Succession -- it's all about that.  Mostly these guys take helios everywhere, including to their private jets.  We have a LOT of that in NYC.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

You have watched Succession -- it's all about that.  Mostly these guys take helios everywhere, including to their private jets.  We have a LOT of that in NYC.

Yeah but they're driven around also. The idea that they don't have to worry about crime because they hop from rooftop to rooftop just isn't accurate, Logan takes a piss filled balloon to the face in season one. When they're flying from one place in a city to another it's usually as you said to the airport to get on a jet. If they have a reservation at some restaurant they're not landing on it's roof.

Maybe that is the case in Brazil, I have no idea but now I have three tabs open to read later. 

Watched Branagh's Death on the Nile on the small screen and found it quite enjoyable. Branagh's take on Poirot has taken a step up in my estimation from where it was after his Murder on the Orient Express outing.

Last weekend I caught Michael Bay's Ambulance at a matinee showing because I was hanging out for some good old mindless Bay for an hour or so. Unfortunately it dragged on for 45mins too long and I got Bay fatigued. Avoid, just re-watch an old Bay classic instead.

Today I went to see Everything Everywhere All at Once. Holy fuckballs, this was wild. I expected the crazy but didn't expect to also have emotions tugged all over the place. Yeoh is always stellar and it was so good seeing and hearing Short Round (Quan) after all these years.  So, so, so much fun.

I watched a documentary movie about Gilbert Gottfried and his family called Gilbert and Aladdin from 1992 (that live-action bullshit can fuck right off).  Then, I listened to Chris Hardwick's interview of Gottfried on the Nerdist podcast, which for me is the funniest podcast interview that I have ever heard.

On a whim, I watched the first episode of Outer Range on Amazon Prime. It was.... okay? Josh Brolin is a rancher who is dealing with difficulties in keeping his land, has a daughter-in-law that has been missing for a year and discovers something paranormal on his property. The first episode didn't quite hook me so strongly but will give the second one a shot. I surprised to see Tom Pelphrey in this and his performance was strong (if not a little reminiscent of some of his past performances). Only the first 2 episodes have dropped with subsequent ones being released weekly. I'm not sure if I'll want to keep up with it on a weekly basis given I'll want some immediate reveals around the mystery and supernatural plotlines but we'll see. 

6 hours ago, ithanos said:

Watched Branagh's Death on the Nile on the small screen and found it quite enjoyable.

I loved the accuracy of the period details, particularly when it came to the music.  An electric guitar had just come into limited use in the year this Death on the Nile took place.  They got that guitar exactly right: the big, wooden body -- shaped but not the size of an upright bass -- the wide fretboard, that long electric cord, then, of course, the kind of  blue jazz that was played.  There was a great deal of that kind care for what was up on the screen.  Sue me, but I watch for the pleasure of that in decor, clothes ,etc. -- when it's done right w/in the larger context --  as much as many of the other elements.

Can anyone explain why they pay huge names to do voices for children films? Is there any proof it's worth it? My daughter loves sing/sing 2 but hasn't heard of any of the cast and would be just as happy with nobodies. 

What's the point, do parents pick which of these films to take their kids to see based on who is in it? 

11 hours ago, Zorral said:

I loved the accuracy of the period details, particularly when it came to the music.  An electric guitar had just come into limited use in the year this Death on the Nile took place.  They got that guitar exactly right: the big, wooden body -- shaped but not the size of an upright bass -- the wide fretboard, that long electric cord, then, of course, the kind of  blue jazz that was played.  There was a great deal of that kind care for what was up on the screen.  Sue me, but I watch for the pleasure of that in decor, clothes ,etc. -- when it's done right w/in the larger context --  as much as many of the other elements.

That's cool to know they did that with the guitar. Mug bugbear, although not actually inaccurate, is the portrayal of the Giza Pyramid Complex. When you are looking up and towards the Spinx, the Pyramid of Khafre, with its distinctive cap of remaining casing stones, looms large in the background leaving the more interesting and storied Great Pyramid( of Khufu) resigned to bit part as the non-descript pyramid on the right. A much better angle to appreciate the complex, IMO, would be South-East of the Spinx so it is seen in-between the Pyramid of Kafre and the Great Pyramid.         

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giza_pyramid_complex#/media/File:Sphinx_partially_excavated2.jpg

Anyone else watching the new season of Outlander? I gave in and got Starz last week and got caught up with the show last night.

I wasn't sure I was going to keep watching after last season's rather boring plot and unpleasant ending. It still has gorgeous visuals and great music. This season's plot continues the slow pace, though it started picking up slightly with the move into the prelude to the Revolutionary War. And then the last episode had a massive swerve. Sometimes I have no idea what this show is.

Short season, only 2 episodes left, a total of 8. But the wiki page says it's getting a seventh season with 16 episodes. I'm guessing this was due to Covid.

Watched Metal Lords last night, and was pleasantly surprised.  Pretty funny, good dialogue, and music was great (maybe this is some nostalgia, I had metalhead friends in high school), and the teen angst was done well, touched the tropes but wasn’t cliched.  Plus we recognized a lot of the scenery, apparently was filmed here in Portland. 

1 hour ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Watched Metal Lords last night, and was pleasantly surprised.  Pretty funny, good dialogue, and music was great (maybe this is some nostalgia, I had metalhead friends in high school), and the teen angst was done well, touched the tropes but wasn’t cliched.  Plus we recognized a lot of the scenery, apparently was filmed here in Portland. 

I enjoyed it.  A sequel would be welcome.

12 hours ago, ithanos said:

That's cool to know they did that with the guitar. Mug bugbear, although not actually inaccurate, is the portrayal of the Giza Pyramid Complex. When you are looking up and towards the Spinx, the Pyramid of Khafre, with its distinctive cap of remaining casing stones, looms large in the background leaving the more interesting and storied Great Pyramid( of Khufu) resigned to bit part as the non-descript pyramid on the right. A much better angle to appreciate the complex, IMO, would be South-East of the Spinx so it is seen in-between the Pyramid of Kafre and the Great Pyramid.         

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giza_pyramid_complex#/media/File:Sphinx_partially_excavated2.jpg

I always find pictures like that to be truly stunning. That was the apex of the world four millennia ago. To see it buried in sand is jarring. 

Death On The Nile was ok but not great.  I know some people complained about the CGI but I quite liked the backdrop and the period setting.  It felt a bit rushed to me — with an ensemble cast of many stars, it felt like the dialogue cuts were too rushed to bring in all the secondary characters.  The conversations just didn’t feel organic enough.  And Armie Hammer’s performance was terrible.  Emma Mackey was probably the best performance.  Gal Gadot’s self-centered character was too unlikable, and a change from what I remember of the original film (but my memory is hazy after three decades or more).

Young Wallender is a decent watch and better than the original IMO.  Similar to Endeavor in that respect.

Has anyone else noticed that Branagh’s speech patterns in Wallender are very similar to Martin Freeman in The Office?

Archived