Ukraine 11: Russian lies, guns, and money

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 hour ago, broken one said:

I explained what kind of "friendship" I was referring to. Polish government propaganda is pumping "the old rhymes" on a scale which makes entrails turn, while the real contents behind it today is derailing EU punitive moves against both states and letting V.O. play us out like children for his sole interest. There's also tangible brotherhood in football hooliganism, the English have experienced it during world cup qualifiers.

Since the very beginning of the crisis Morawiecki (alias Pinocchio) has been pretending it is all well and V.O. is in solidary with the rest, but recently it has become impossible to play fool.

I am grateful to Hungary that in 1920 it let the trains with weapons for Poland pass (shame V.O. is not doing the same for Ukraine now), did not let Germans pass in 1939 and helped our superbrave government and generals escape west. I am also grateful to Hungarian soldiers, who during WW2 pretended not to see Polish partisans in western Ukraine (while Polish partisans pretended they do not see the Hungarian soldiers). Yes. Actually you reminded me of this, thank you <3 .

You should not have burned my town to the ground in 1657 though!

Yes, politicians tend to cherry pick and twist history, culture or even current affairs to their own narrative and use it to further their own agenda, because that’s what politics do. It’s revolting on every side of the political spectrum. Politics, overall, is revolting, I hate politics. Anyway, I’m sorry that this happened to the Polish and Hungarian relations too, it shouldn’t have, it’s wrong. Oh and sorry about your town in 1657 too! 

Kadyrov (now back home having gotten bored of taking selfies in Ukraine) has been criticising the peace talks for being "too accommodating." Mixed messaging on Russian state TV, some praising the talks as a sign that Ukraine is weakening and will soon give in to all of Russia's demands, others saying any kind of negotiated settlement is a weakness and means a loss for Russia.

Increased reports that some of the regions are starting to get arsy about hoarding supplies rather than get them redistributed by the central government.

4 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

Well...the US hiding bio-labs of some sort in the Ukraine is...something worthy of further investigation. After all, the US did stash 'suspected terrorists' and others in overseas prisons, and I seem to remember a program intended to relocate nukes from dangerous to less dangerous places, so there is precedent of sorts. Not saying it's likely, or that said installations were for creating bio-weapons if they existed, but worthy of looking into.

The thing is that we knew there were biolabs in Ukraine in 1991, because the Soviet Union built them and and then abandoned them, and Ukraine has been managing them ever since for purposes such as researching infectious diseases and creating vaccines, like every country on Earth, and since the 1990s they have worked with the US on some programmes in the same way almost every country has.

The way the issues was blown out of all proportion was bizarre.

The Ukrainians have retaken Malaya Rohan, just to the east of Kharkiv. The Russians took heavy losses during their retreat, with multiple tanks and armoured vehicles destroyed.

On the other side, the Russians have destroyed a Ukrainian S300. Ukraine only has a few S300s and they're the only AA missiles they have which can hit high-flying aircraft at long range. Unfortunately, the S300 is highly visible and easy meat for drone or missile strikes if it's not on the move (the Russians have also lost a few this way).

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

oh my :lol: that’s indeed a very negative, at times inaccurate article, and with a rather skewed and dramatic narrative. 

I was thinking.  Sorry!  This shows how the internet works.  I googled "Hungary election" and it was the first article that came up.  It is always promoting the most divisive points of view!

The article is line with the current Western view of Orban, but the sense of danger is definitely heightened/exaggerated.  And i'm far from an expert obviously.

Anyhow, you are right.  It's a bit of a tangent.  I should have posted it in the International Thread!

Putin is insisting that other countries may for Russian gas and oil in roubles. However, it sounds like this is a face-saving, tough-talking statement for public consumption. Behind the scenes it sounds like other countries can pay in their own currency to Gazprom and Gazprom will do the conversion internally.

7 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Putin is insisting that other countries may for Russian gas and oil in roubles. However, it sounds like this is a face-saving, tough-talking statement for public consumption. Behind the scenes it sounds like other countries can pay in their own currency to Gazprom and Gazprom will do the conversion internally.

How big a deal is it that Poland is cutting off Russian energy imports.

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How big a deal is it that Poland is cutting off Russian energy imports.

Not as much as you'd think. Poland made the decision years and years ago to do that, and has been bringing in imports from the Middle East as well via a new pipeline from Norway, so this has been on the cards for a while.

Ukraine armed forces announced they've retaken 5 settlements in Zaporizhzhia oblast

Looking at the map, it's pretty spread out group of places; suggesting that Ukraine may be advancing on all fronts in the area. Vesele in particular seems relevant, because, unless I'm looking at the wrong one, that's right outside Melitopol.

Meanwhile, Ukraine also took back 3 settlements in Kherson oblast yesterday and there's unclear footage showing Russians doing something on the Kherson bridge. Seems likely though that they're rigging the bridge to blow if Ukraine takes the city itself back.

12 hours ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Hmmmmm…..

They’re bad!

BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZER RONG!  It doesn't matter.  Everybody does it!  Except when um um um something think for myself!

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

Ukraine has been managing them ever since for purposes such as researching infectious diseases

One of the things they have been doing is analyzing soils and other elements from the great treasure trove of information being provided to pre and proto Indo-European people, settlements, agriculture, herding, language progress in the great river valleys of our European history and its earliest interactions with the great histories further south and east.  That so much of this being destroyed by the Russian man of history bullshit -- who won't even be a blip on the millennia of history that had been preserved in these soils -- makes my blood boil and my eyes weep -- along with the destruction of the contemporary residents'  efforts and their homes and their bodies and their histories.

14 hours ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Sure, it was always Putin's goal to become the most hated man on the planet, make Russia more sanctioned than North Korea, have Germany change 77 years of military policy to re-arm again, have NATO more united than it has been since the end of  the Cold War, make Zelensky a global icon and possibly the most popular person on Earth right now, have the Russian army be humiliated repeatedly, see Biden and Macron increase their popularity and their chances of beating far-right candidates in the next elections, have Poland and even to a lesser extent Hungary and Kazakhstan fall out of it's orbit of influence, see Finland and Sweden seriously consider ending neutrality to join NATO, have Nordstream 2 be cancelled and most countries that are supplied with Russian gas making deals to get it from elsewhere, and that's just from the top of my head.

Also clear evidence of Putin's goal to have a long war are that many Russian soldiers had provisions for only 3-4 days, but had victory parade uniforms, as well as the leaked 3 days after the war victory manifesto celebrating the union of Russia, Belarus and "Little Russia". And I'm sure that seeing how losing 12.000 soldiers in 10 years in Afghanistan was a big factor in the fall of the Soviet Union, Putin thought it was a wonderful idea to have even more in one month of combat. 

Surely, some things that happened have upsides for Putin, and he'll try to refocus the war, but this speech of "it was Putin's plan all along" is just a far-right attempt to justify their hard-on for him for all these years.

My favorite defense of Putin was a professor claiming Putin wasn’t attempting to conquer Ukraine because he’s too smart to do something so stupid. This was weeks After Putin invaded Ukraine.

"Russian troops near Kyiv, Chernobyl are repositioning, Pentagon says"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2022/03/30/russia-donbas-kyiv-chernobyl/

.... But the Defense Department does not consider this movement proof that the Russian government is serious about its vow to let up the attacks on major cities, in what Moscow characterized this week as a show of good faith amid ongoing peace negotiations.

Rather, the Pentagon’s current intelligence assessment is that Russia intends to “refit these troops, resupply them and probably employ them elsewhere in Ukraine,” spokesman John Kirby told reporters, indicating that the Donbas region in Ukraine’s east has emerged as Russia’s chief priority as it looks for an opportunity to save face after a month-long stream of setbacks in its invasion. ....

Also Putin did what ogreorangeaid requested -- Hunter Biden  is now top 'o the news of Ukraine and US politics.  :P

And -- after tumbling from the shock of sanctions, the Russian ruble has recovered nearly all its value, thanks to oil and natural gas sales. :P

Ive read that Rubel Has become almost non convertible, nobody wants it and its value is at least partially an effect of manipulation, so its rather meaningless. Russia forces exporters to sell hard currency, limits amount of foreign currency which may be withdrawn from bank by a customer and prevents moving capital from the country.

27 minutes ago, Kalibuster said:

In case folks were actually wondering - no, it wasn't a clever ruse.

Heh, I started reading through that thread thinking... no EU/HoI player would make those kind of mistakes, only for the thread to address it.  It reminds me though when I supported an Hearts of Iron II realism mod and we were trying to have the game mimic the fall of France in WWII with historical orders of battle.  We couldnt do it without heavy scripting, the AI was too smart for France to lose.  I suspect a realism mod for the Ukraine invasion would also have a hard time mimicking the Russian failures.

If anything, this invasion has caused me to end up seriously impressed how comparably successful the freaking Nazis managed to push their front lines while also having abysmal logistics. After all they had also been forced to seize civilian trucks and horse carts to get anywhere. WW2 would have looked quite differently if the Blitzkrieg ran out of steam 15 km into Poland.

Increasing confirmation that Russian forces have withdrawn from Chernobyl as well as the nearby towns.

The Polish city of Lublin has hit on a good idea, of recruiting Ukrainian refugee teachers to help teach the Ukrainian refugee children in their schools.

20 minutes ago, Toth said:

If anything, this invasion has caused me to end up seriously impressed how comparably successful the freaking Nazis managed to push their front lines while also having abysmal logistics. After all they had also been forced to seize civilian trucks and horse carts to get anywhere. WW2 would have looked quite differently if the Blitzkrieg ran out of steam 15 km into Poland.

As I said before, one of several million differences between this and 1939 is that Hitler was smart enough to give inventive-thinking generals free reign and come up with lots of ideas regarding logistics, preparation, resupply etc. Putin has very clearly not done that.

3 hours ago, Padraig said:

I was thinking.  Sorry!  This shows how the internet works.  I googled "Hungary election" and it was the first article that came up.  It is always promoting the most divisive points of view!

The article is line with the current Western view of Orban, but the sense of danger is definitely heightened/exaggerated.  And i'm far from an expert obviously.

Anyhow, you are right.  It's a bit of a tangent.  I should have posted it in the International Thread!

Don’t be sorry, that’s how the media and the internet work, it’s nobody’s fault (or everybody’s, whatever way one’s mind work. And that’s kinda my point, the current western view (on anything) isn’t the overruling objective truth exempt from error, bias and hidden agenda. That’s not to say the Hungarian election system is a flawlessly democratic, flawlessly functional, flawlessly fair one, not at all. But the world, much like election systems, isn’t black and white, a middle ground and in-between does and should exist, in spite of what both western and eastern narratives like to push. 
ETA: just saw a New York Times article which is fact based, way more factually correct and concrete, even if not exempt from generalization and a couple misleading suggestions, and far less dramatic. 

Archived