DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

4 hours ago, RumHam said:

I mean this seemed like a foregone conclusion even before. Unless you mean actually cancelling the flash movie's release.

The reporting on the HBO Max shows getting pulled says that there's a very narrow window, basically until January or so, when WBD can do this thing where they just pull the plug on something and can get a full write down, which will have the effect of their expense sheet for the quarter looking better. So... yeah, very good odds they just ditch the film entirely and take the write down.

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

The reporting on the HBO Max shows getting pulled says that there's a very narrow window, basically until January or so, when WBD can do this thing where they just pull the plug on something and can get a full write down, which will have the effect of their expense sheet for the quarter looking better. So... yeah, very good odds they just ditch the film entirely and take the write down.

Hopefully they can salvage the Keaton bits and cast Cavil as '78 superman in their multiverse. 

1 minute ago, DaveSumm said:

Imagine Keaton returned as Batman in TWO films and we never saw either of them. Fucking hell DC.

See, I have to believe that James Gunn is not that stupid. He will return in some form.

• 3 weeks later...

Seriously, since James gunn has been in a clapping-back mood of late, he might want to get these clowns on a conference call and tell them to lay off the, "since TDK trilogy" malarkey. This is beyond parody at this point.

On 12/17/2022 at 2:42 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

William Shatner took time to mention Cavill on twitter

Boy howdy, does it ever. Like when I use the bathroom after my dad.  

I still don't understand the decision to not turf it for the write down.

Some distance between the veer would've been the better path, imo. Now the Flash is going to stir up the shit again. 

Should we get a friendly betting pool going, I got it maybe eeks 450 to 490 mil world wide. A huge loss right there, and it'll also complicate the softboot. What the fuck are they thinking lol

1 hour ago, JGP said:

I still don't understand the decision to not turf it for the write down.

Because they think its the right business decision. There's also considerably more star power in this film than in Batgirl. It is entirely possible it'll cost them more vis-a-vis those guys to turf it. 'Remember what happened with WW84? There were contract clauses that guaranteed Gadot and Jenkins $10 million bonuses each if the film crossed a billion. With the simultaneous streaming release and most of the western world in lockdown during Christmas of '20, there was no hope of that happening. They ended up just getting paid to avoid a lawsuit. They made out like fucking bandits. 

The real question is why is marketing kicking into gear for The Flash while Shazam 2, out in 2 months, crickets. I didn't care much for the first film and I don't intend on seeing this one, but holy shit are those guys getting screwed. 

34 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Because they think its the right business decision. There's also considerably more star power in this film than in Batgirl. It is entirely possible it'll cost them more vis-a-vis those guys to turf it. 'Remember what happened with WW84? There were contract clauses that guaranteed Gadot and Jenkins $10 million bonuses each if the film crossed a billion. With the simultaneous streaming release and most of the western world in lockdown during Christmas of '20, there was no hope of that happening. They ended up just getting paid to avoid a lawsuit. They made out like fucking bandits. 

Maybe. Still cheaper than the loss they’re going to eat on release after the various rehabs. Might be the brass even thinks they can skimp on marketing [cause Ezra] or the push is yet to come. Even a possibility they decide not to market it much at all. 

The Snyderbros will go just to have something to complain about, it’ll largely be seen as a stupid business decision. Maybe there’s an outlier where releasing the Flash somehow makes the softboot look fantastic in comparison, but I can’t imagine where that’d be the predominant perception.

13 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

So is the assumption that they’ve wrangled this Flash movie into something that reboots and launches the Gunniverse? Despite it being filmed before that was the case? So it’s gonna be a heavily edited mess isn’t it…

They were kind of using it as a reboot anyway, one change being the replacement of Affleck with Keaton. Guessing they’re now doing an even bigger reset

19 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The real question is why is marketing kicking into gear for The Flash while Shazam 2, out in 2 months, crickets. I didn't care much for the first film and I don't intend on seeing this one, but holy shit are those guys getting screwed. 

We did get a trailer for Shazam 2 before Avatar 2 here. Other than that I haven't seen much advertising for it.

18 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Just noticed the thread is called ‘re-reboot’ and that’s before the Gunn news even came out. :rofl:

Some call me a prophet. Others a madman.

• 3 weeks later...

Titans and Doom Patrol have been cancelled, which unfortunately is not a surprise. Both shows' current seasons are on hiatus and it's unclear when they will return. I'm only watching DP our of the two. The showrunners did see the writing on the wall, though, so these final seasons may have a satisfying conclusion.

Meanwhile, I wonder how much longer Superman & Lois will stay on the air. Season 3 is due to come in March and recently it was announced that Michael Cudlitz will play Lex Luthor in the upcoming season.

Archived