DC Cinematic Universe: Re-Reboot in Progress

Myrddin

I want Austin Butler to be the new Superman if they're going for a younger guy (even though he's not that young). I base that on absolutely nothing but the trailers for that shitty Elvis movie, so I don't know if he can act, but he looks like he'd have the look and at least some of the relevant charisma so what the hell. 

(I would absolutely understand if they based their casting on something more concrete, though)

eta: on the Superman/Clark Kent discussion, quite frankly my favourite version is when both are true. Like, I like the godlike, alien Superman, most of my really favourite Supes stories are those where that guy seems to be at the forefront (Kingdom Come, cosmic stuff like DC One Million, others of that sort of nature), but all of them are ultimately about that figure being grounded by, at heart, being the decent farmboy even if he's not being Clark Kent at the time. 

Even something like Superman Smashes the Klan (which quite frankly would be a good choice for the basis for an introductory new-Superman movie, albeit they aren't gonna do a movie based back in those times) involves him coming to terms with being an alien through being the fundamentally decent and slightly awkward nerdy guy. 

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

You and Bill from Kill Bill would not get along:

Me and Tarantino wouldn't get along either, to be fair.

Also, worth mentioning in passing that Margot Kidder also absolutely killed as Lois Lane. She didn't get the transformations Reeve got but she understood the assignment perfectly. Those films had flaws but they got the casting of the leads 100% correct.

I have forever felt that the people involved in the Arrowverse shows *got* Superman in a way that WB just never did. And granted, they are very different beasts with different budgets and objectives, but they certainly did capture the tone and spirit of Superman - which was further helped by Blake Neely's amazing scores. (And the scores of the many other composers who worked on these shows, whose name I'm currently blanking but want to ensure have been acknowledged.)

48 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Oh yeah. Arrowverse has flaws, sure, but the basic soul of the characters, and in so many ways, the casting of those characters, they got right. Especially with Superman. 

The casting was magnificent, was it not? Tyler Hoechlin, Grant Gustin, Stephen Amell, Emily Bett Rickards, Josh Segarra, Alex Kingston, Caity Lotz, Lexa Doig, and Brandon Routh (who absolutely *shined* in his time in the Arrowverse) were all standouts in my mind. 

And the composers they found! Blake Neely, Nathanial Blume, Sherri Chung, Daniel James Chan, Dan Romer, Tony Kanal, Stephen Perkins, the people Berlanti and co. found to bring musical life to all these shows was remarkable! 

Does comic Flash mope a lot and forget how he beats villains and has to be reminded again and again by others? Because that is how the CW Flash was written? And it is what turned me off the show eventually.

Stephen Amell was good in Arrow and other actors were good over the years, but there were some dreadful ones, too. The girl that played Oliver's daughter is one example. I barely made it through the final season.

Superman & Lois has been at least a step above all other Arrowverse shows. 

On 12/15/2022 at 2:10 AM, Ran said:

That he has a sense of humor is certainly one of the things that greatly separates Snyder's po-faced take on god-like Superman vs. Cavill's preferred take that hews closer to the Christopher Reeves benchmark.

That's not how I'd describe it but OK.

Speaking as a fan, every copy of Superman '78 should be burned.  

18 hours ago, IlyaP said:

(I was pleased as hell to see Josh Segarra recently in She-Hulk, where he got to show off his comic chops, and I can't wait to see what he brings to Scream IV.)

Wouldn't that be Scream V actually?

I am sorta sure there are already four Scream movies out there.

Scream 1 (High School)

Scream 2 (College)

Scream 3 (Hollywood, Jay and Silent Bob cameo)

Then there was this one with Hayden Panettierre I think. That would be four movies, no?

58 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wouldn't that be Scream V actually?

I am sorta sure there are already four Scream movies out there.

Scream 1 (High School)

Scream 2 (College)

Scream 3 (Hollywood, Jay and Silent Bob cameo)

Then there was this one with Hayden Panettierre I think. That would be four movies, no?

The recently did another one, confusingly called Scream.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Ah, ok, I am getting too old for this apparently.

When the score came out, a few fans got together and actually made alternate covers that said 'Scream V' or 'Scream 5' instead of Scream, for very obvious reasons. 

I don't know why they did it either, given how almost good the movie was (the final act is embarrassingly bad).

3 hours ago, JGP said:

Money on Gunn and Safran ending any further association with Ezra. Probably trying to be careful about it.

I mean this seemed like a foregone conclusion even before. Unless you mean actually cancelling the flash movie's release.

Archived