Star Wars: Nothing But Star Wars

Myrddin

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I mean, definitely seems random, but I like how we're talking about Lynch making the emperor a talking tree as MADNESS when the B villain actually in the film is a giant talking slug.

I imagine Jaba would be even stranger. He'd probably have been a talking tumor, like the representative from the Space Guild was in Dune.

12 hours ago, sifth said:

I often wonder what Return of the Jedi would have been like if David Lynch directed it. Jaba's palace would have probably been the weirdest thing ever put on film and odds are The Emperor would have been a talking tree.

TAKE ALL MY MONEY AND GET ON THAT FAN EDIT NOW!

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

This episode was better.  That said this entire story has been so one note no surprises everything telegraphed well in advance… it’s boring for that.  Some subtlety and surprises would have been nice.

This originally started as a movie script. Has turning it into a 6(?) hour show been remotely logical or warranted at this juncture?

The shaky camera during the fight scene was not good and was clearly meant to disguise the set deficiencies. That entire sequence felt like a live-action Clone Wars episode with the Stormtroopers being more ridiculous than ever.

This show's CGI definitely looks weaker than the other shows. Their budget must have been lower than we would have expected. They didn't even attempt de-aging the actors for that flashback scene, which otherwise was the best part of the episode.

Having revealed Reva's motivations, I can't help but think that perhaps she should have been the focus of the show and Leia should have been sent home to Aldeeran in episode 2.

26 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Having revealed Reva's motivations, I can't help but think that perhaps she should have been the focus of the show and Leia should have been sent home to Aldeeran in episode 2.

That would have been a much more interesting story.

48 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

This show's CGI definitely looks weaker than the other shows. Their budget must have been lower than we would have expected. They didn't even attempt de-aging the actors for that flashback scene, which otherwise was the best part of the episode.

I thought they did at the start. The first few shots of Anakin do look like he's a bit younger, but then in the last couple they don't at all, and he easily looks 20 years older than when we first saw him.

The Order 66 stuff was fine, with a combination of being several years older, battle-scarred and wearing a hood (plus good genes, I guess) made it a much easier sell.

More on the visuals - even the command deck of Vader's ship with the hyperspace tunnel in the background looked off. And the fact that they didn't even bother to show the star destroyer come out of hyperspace, a visual staple of Star Wars indicates low budget. (or I suppose lack of time in post-production)

1 minute ago, sifth said:

So how did Reva learn Anakin was Vader? They look and sound nothing alike. Did she read his mind or something?

I believe the clones immediately started referring to Anakin as Lord Vader when Order 66 began so she could have overheard them. 

Alternatively it could be not so much as a mind read but feeling the specific disturbance in the Force a powerful Force-user emanates. The menace and hatred that ooze from Vader are specific to him, and she likely felt that as a youngling when she came face to face with him, and continues to feel it every time she's in his presence. (I think this version is the likelier of the two I presented)

The thing I'd be interested in seeing is their deciding to mine the EU... and go ahead and give us the first years after RotJ, new actors cast in the lead roles, and basically just adapt Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series (with appropriate adjustments to make it canonical with the sequel trilogy, re: stuff like Leia having Kylo rather than twins, Han not an Imperial pilot who deserted, something-or-other to sort of Jorus C'baoth, etc.)  Just seeing stuff like Talon Kaarde and the criminal syndicate, slicers, the Katana fleet

That, and maaaaybe the future of post-sequel Star Wars should consider borrowing from the Yuuzhan Vong, either directly copying that species or just coming up with some new, completely-alien-to-the-Known-Galaxy enemy who can shift the conflict away from another iteration of the Empire.

I see Taikia Watiti wants to do something totally new. And that Rogue Squadron is now tenatively scheduled for ... 2027? Jeez

1 hour ago, Ran said:

The thing I'd be interested in seeing is their deciding to mine the EU... and go ahead and give us the first years after RotJ, new actors cast in the lead roles, and basically just adapt Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire series (with appropriate adjustments to make it canonical with the sequel trilogy, re: stuff like Leia having Kylo rather than twins, Han not an Imperial pilot who deserted, something-or-other to sort of Jorus C'baoth, etc.)  Just seeing stuff like Talon Kaarde and the criminal syndicate, slicers, the Katana fleet

That, and maaaaybe the future of post-sequel Star Wars should consider borrowing from the Yuuzhan Vong, either directly copying that species or just coming up with some new, completely-alien-to-the-Known-Galaxy enemy who can shift the conflict away from another iteration of the Empire.

I see Taikia Watiti wants to do something totally new. And that Rogue Squadron is now tenatively scheduled for ... 2027? Jeez

Umm yeah but no. Jacen and Jaina and Anakin Solo are actual characters written by writers who (despite broad ranges of talent) actually gave a Fuck about whatever story they were appearing in. Let's nix Kylo and that whole misbegotten adventure and 1:1 adapt Heir to the Empire.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I think we can take it as read that the BDSM-aesthetic-loving, pain-loving Yuuhan Vong are not showing up in the new canon. Maybe a variation could work. But I think the main problem was that the Vong and their war was far too destructive to the Star Wars galaxy, utterly eclipsing the Clone Wars and Galactic Civil War combined, several times over and making the movies feel small and unimportant. It definitely put the "wars" in the title. The Vong were pretty widely despised, even by people who felt the NJO did upset the apple cart that was the crushing predictability of the earlier books.

It goes back to the issue that Star Wars has established a very narrow identity and idea of what a Star Wars story can be, and that's been pretty thoroughly exhausted. Go beyond that definition and either Disney throw a shit fit and fire everyone involved, or one or other subset of fans throw a massive strop.

I wonder if you put a restraining bolt on Vader's legs, could you force him to dance? That was my takeaway from this episode.

That and Reva's plan sucked. The guy regularly spends time in a bacta tank and you decide to creep up behind him and yell before you take your shot? You could put a bomb on his ship. Poision him. (he still eats, I assume?)

But I'm glad to see I was wrong about them ignoring Rebel's canon.

You know, what I found particularly strange about that spaceship sequence, is just how horrible and fake the ship looked, yet the sound work was still pretty good. It makes for quite the interesting contrast, where something sounded completely on point, yet looked like something from the CW. 

Vader was great, but the plot is being driven by utter stupidity as usual. Yeah, don't bother to delete that sensitive information or anything. And have you considered giving it away to the first dodgy geezer you come across? Do that.

I really want a Vader show now though. It doesn't even have to have a proper plot, it can just be him going out and ruining people's days for fun.

Archived