US Politics: What will the InJustice League do next?

IheartIheartTesla

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

Interesting answer to "what can men do" after overturning Roe - Under Obamacare, birth control pills are free. Why aren’t vasectomies?:

Vasectomies are less invasive than tubals, recovery time is minimal, and in a relationship it's the best option between committed hetero partners who've chosen not to conceive. They're also reversible. I didn't reverse mine, I've had two, and 10/10 would do it again [if necessary]   

"Why can't we treat human life in the same way we treat alien life." 

I've pre-gamed a bit for Nadal's match and smoked some weed after breakfast, but what the fuck is that quote?

I had missed last Sunday's Weekend Show. It actually is about what we were discussing, including a very apt analysis of the current Democratic party (I'm only half-way through but trust it'll be good as always):

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

alt text: a gif of a soft drink dispenser, a hand two fingering between the flavors Hooting and Hollering  

Because women aren't human.  Fixed that for ya.  Men honestly don't get what a horror show the world without reproductive health care and contraception is for women. Most -- not all -- men don't give a shyte either.  They think it's just ducky.  If they ever think about women at all beyond s-e-x.

Ya, cops really protect and serve, and keep us / women safe.

This is what the white male xtian-or-not fash are doing, even in England and Wales.  Because, They Say, people are breaking an 1837 law -- which surely was superceded by the 1967 Act?  Guess. Not. It's so much easier for them to pick on women struggling to survive than go out there and bust actual criminals, particularly those in the House of Lords.  Just like the Proud Boys like to pick on little kids in public libraries during Gay Pride month -- hey, you know what happens when they go to an actual Gay Bar that is almost entirely, you, know, MEN, grown Men. They get their asses kicked.  Or at least pepper sprayed.  No cops there either, of course.

Police have launched dozens of investigations into suspected breaches of the law in the past 10 years, according to analysis of crime logs and Home Office data, with the alleged offences including cases where women took abortion pills bought on the internet and induced their own abortions by drinking herbal remedies without supervision from doctors.

Details of the criminal investigations were revealed in records obtained by the Observer under freedom of information laws. We contacted 44 police forces in England, Wales and Scotland to ask for logs relating to recent cases of procuring illegal abortion, including the number of offences and how many of the investigations had led to a suspect being arrested or charged.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jul/02/women-accused-of-abortions-in-england-and-wales-after-miscarriages-and-stillbirths

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I've pre-gamed a bit for Nadal's match and smoked some weed after breakfast, but what the fuck is that quote?

Maybe somebody started watching Independence Day a little early?

23 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

That shitty deal Biden made with mcconnell ? It wss to get a lifetime appointment in Kentucky in exchange for two nonlifetime lawyers.

How does that deal look now, @Ran?

Also, if the roles were reversed, would McConnell or any Republican ever given Biden anything he asked for in terms of a single judge. Nope. 

23 hours ago, Fez said:

At almost every point throughout history (at least western history), there's been a sizable number of people proclaiming it to be the end times. This is nothing new. But it wasn't then and it won't be now. I agree it'll be hard times, regardless of what form exactly it takes. But not the end times; it will not be Orwell's boot stamping on a face forever nor the extinction of the entire species. 

I don't know--climate change may be the end times for humanity. Remember, end times are really just extremely shitty times in most people's imaginations. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

The guy also got absolutely indignant when told he was polling at 0%.

"No, I'm actually polling at 1%!"

Weirdest flex ever. Like being told you're completely bald and saying, "No, I still have hair in my nose and my pits!" Congrats, I guess?

4 hours ago, King Ned Stark said:

As to abortion, I’m registered as republican (doesn’t mean much to me, it’s just a term to put me in a group).  But I do have conservative values, like I posted last night, I was kind of an old dad even back in my teenage years.  But take heart from this if you will, though it may not help much or matter in the grand scheme of things; Republicans, by and large, are not against abortion as much as democrats think (I don’t believe). 

If Republicans aren't so against abortion, why do they keep electing candidates who wish to eliminate it, and often use the most degrading and misogynistic justification for it? Do you have any concerns about the values or tactics of the party you choose to identify with?

Like you deduced, I’m a male, and a Christian with conservative beliefs, but I’m not wholesale against abortion.

I've learned that men just don't have any idea what it's like to live as a woman in this misogynistic culture. I consider myself a pretty aware and liberal person, most of my closest friends are women, and I still regularly learn new horrible things this country, government, and culture do to women, especially women of color. I think if a Gadsden-waving, 3-percenting, weapon-stroking, neckbearded MAGA-man had to inhabit a woman's skin for an hour in this country, he'd never come out of his bunker again. 

Pro-choice people always only bring up the extreme circumstances; rape, incest, threat to the mother’s life.  I would never be against that.

If you want to have kind reactions to your posts, you would do well to avoid inaccurate stereotyping like "pro-choice people always only bring up extreme circumstances." I mean, if I wanted to mirror that kind of slant, I could talk about how Republican rhetoric makes it sound like every abortion is a late term abortion and the only women who want abortions or even fucking birth control are irredeemable sluts. And at least I'd be stereotyping a political organization's rhetoric as opposed to generalizing about "pro-choice people" and what they always do.

I’m probably wrong, but we live and learn through our own personal experiences.  My oldest daughter was born 3 weeks after I graduated high school.  It was tough, but she got an academic scholarship and just graduated college this past year; and she is very liberal, you guys would love her.  She vexes me greatly sometimes.

Good for your daughter, sincerely.

I’ve rambled on, point being is if there is any concern then abortion is the best option, IMO.  I just don’t like the idea of having an abortion, as traumatic as it is (it has to be worse than I can imagine), because “you’re not ready”, or a child would be an inconvenience.  I’m probably wrong.

Pursuant to my point about how men have no clue what it's like to be a woman, I would avoid speculation on people's motivations for abortion. Also try to accept that how you, personally, feel about it should not affect a woman's access to it.

Apropos of nothing, do I use semicolons too much?  And probably inappropriately, but I like semicolons for some reason.

I'm not going to judge your use of semicolons. Punctuation should be a personal choice. Just like reproduction.

56 minutes ago, DMC said:

Maybe somebody started watching Independence Day a little early?

You can never start too early. You have your flag shoved up your ass, right?

3 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Edit: And how in the fuck did @DMC know I will be watching Independence Day this weekend?

Because you're a god damn motherfucking patriot, that's why. Also watch The Patriot. As a Jew, I forgive all of you, it's okay.

52 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

nor the extinction of the entire species. 

Other entire species are going extinct at a fabulous rate -- not only animals and insects, but whole botanicals species. Oceans are so polluted there are big sections w/o oxygen.  Why does Fez think human beings will be exempt from extinction, as oxygen levels fall, levels of toxic gases rise, every year?  After all this is a planentary system with all parts interconnected and dependent on each other. 

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The times are changing, you better go with it old timer. 

You know it's impossible to stop thinking of women and Black people as people who matter when our entire lives were lived under the assumption that women and Black people and lives matter.  Too late, too late, too late, to change now.  :crying:

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

You can never start too early. You have your flag shoved up your ass, right?

Not until I'm about halfway through the John Adams series (and a fifth) on the fourth.

8 minutes ago, A True Kaniggit said:

Edit: And how in the fuck did @DMC know I will be watching Independence Day this weekend?

Because who isn't?  I remember my brother and I met my sister, her boyfriend (now husband) and a bunch of his friends in Philly for the Fourth a fews ago.  During the afternoon they wanted to go to some stupid museum or something so my brother and I just found a bar to go to.  Sure enough, we got there right as they started playing Independence Day, volume full blast.

By the way we know hundreds of women personally who have had abortions for all kinds of reasons and felt nothing at all about it before except acute anxiety and terror that they wou;dn't be able to get it in time, and afterwards, indescribable relief.

We also know many women who had miscarriages, and were very sad about that.  We know, because we know generally fortunate people, women who lost babies at birth, and were grief stricken. 

But we do not know a single woman who had an abortion who was sad about it.  The closest to it was a friend who had two ectopic pregnancies, who, with her husband, wanted to begin their family, but, of course, had to abort because otherwise she'd likely die.

Archived