Wheel of Time: The 2nd Turning (Book Spoilers Inclusive)

SpaceChampion

The Seanchan Blood don't just ride around in palanquins, but entire pyramids!  lol

About the table, surely Ishamael isn't going to sit down at a round table as equals with mere dark friends?

Another possibility is those are dark friends who bodies the Dark One is going to use to give the other Forsaken new bodies.  Dramatizing their incarnating into new bodies might be a moment they want to show.

Edited by SpaceChampion

2 hours ago, Poobah said:

• I like the increased role in the show for Logain and think a meeting between him and Rand is a good idea, and obviously they want to have Rand meet Siuan as they do in the books but I am a little concerned if they have him go to Tar Valon for it. Perhaps this will be a way to trigger / speed along his irrational distrust of all things Aes Sedai, if Liandrin starts nosing around with her trademark "I just bit in to a lemon" look.
  • With the shot of some Aiel maidens fighting Children of the Light it makes me wonder if it's Aviendha or one of Bain/Chiad in a cage that Perrin will come upon and free instead, I don't know if there's even been an actor cast for Gaul?

I think the meeting between Siuan and Rand is in Cairhien. You can see the rising sun in the background, even thought the white screen has very Tar Valon vibes. Perhaps Siuan is taking Logain on a sort of 'shame' tour to show off the power of the Aes Sedai? I dunno.

Just before we see the Aiel fighting the Children, we see Aviendha pulling up her veil.

Okay everyone talking about the music made me check it out, and y'all are killing me. Yes maybe it's arranged weirdly for the trailer, but the song is Control by Halsey, a certified platinum song from her double-platinum certified debut album, Badlands. It's an excellent song from an excellent album!

Personally, I don't mind pop songs used in trailers. Hell, BSG made me actually like a Nickleback song (Savin' Me) that was used in a commercial.

On 7/19/2023 at 4:53 PM, karaddin said:

Yeah I'm happy with how that's looking. Don't really have an opinion on the music, trailer music is trailer music. Looking forward to the season.

Same, thought it looked great, CGI massively better than S1.

Though as a non book reader I haven't a clue who the fuck people are as it's been a while (probably could name 3 characters if i really thought about it). 

Edited by BigFatCoward

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Though as a non book reader I haven't a clue who the fuck people are as it's been a while (probably could name 3 characters if i really thought about it). 

So there's Alvin, Simon, and Theodore... ;) 

30 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Was Alvin the big clumsy random wookie/troll weird thing with the worst makeup ever?

That might have been Hughey. 

Or maybe it was Dewey...

Article on Nerdist showing some of the costumes and sketches for season 2.

I like most of them (especially Siuan's) but as much as I am positive about this show fucking hell is the damane ball gag ever ridiculous. Someone needed to take the designer aside and have a serious talk with them about that decision. And not just that it looks ridiculous either but conceptually it's stupid, it's a horribly ham fisted physical metaphor. If you want to show that someone has had their voice taken away, that they've been silenced, then show that on screen with the acting, show that they are terrified and meek and are so broken that though they physically could speak they don't, they know not to speak unless directly commanded to, is that not far more powerful? Physical chains are easily broken, mental ones not so much, and that's part of the horribly insidious nature of it all.

Yes, indeed, really poor design choice. The "pacifier" doesn't seem to be a part of the damane ter'angreal build, it's a visual piece of humiliation. But as @Poobah said above, it would be more effective to show the damane's forced submission through acting rather than this silly thing. This feels like they're calling the damane babies, but in the books they were like pets. Often rewarded with treats when doing a task well and spoken to as pets.

Some of the spirit of what Jordan wanted to show with the damane is here, it just falls short in the design. How are those chest pieces collars? I think someone was really afraid of putting collars on actors that signify slavery. One of the most odious aspects of the damane ter'angreal is that that the sul'dam would leave their bracelet still connected with the chain to the collar on a peg in the damane's room. But it was impossible for the damane to pick it up and try to walk out. Not sure that this bracelet, which is really more of a bracer can practically and logically be used the same.

Edited by Corvinus85

I agree I don't like that the pacifiers are a thing. There is a still with (I think) a man with a nose ring and a plate hanging down over his mouth. That might be what they are? It sure doesn't look like it, but it would be an interesting choice for all da'covale. I really want to see it in action because right now, It's not working for me. (edit: I read the article instead of just looking at the pictures and yeah, it's a pacifier. ugh)

I actually do like the collar on the damane. I suspect the leash would be very impractical for the actors and I am not fussed about that. I think the collar and bracer are more impactful visually and the collar actually gives me the impression of harnessing an animal. *shrug* I think it's fine.

I'm not vibing with Moiraine's Cairhien look though. I like the costume itself, it's just doesn't feel like her or the city. The silhouette of the sketch is really fun and I could see it on some other cultures, but not Cairhien IMO. Oh well.

Edited by Gertrude

16 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I'm not vibing with Moiraine's Cairhien look though. I like the costume itself, it's just doesn't feel like her or the city. The silhouette of the sketch is really fun and I could see it on some other cultures, but not Cairhien IMO. Oh well.

How have you pictured Cairhienin fashion?

I think Cairhien is an interesting amalgamation of different cultural fashions. On the civilian side it's easy to imagine European styles clothing from the 17th-18th century (or earlier), but on the military side there are definite markers of Chinese and Japanese styles - soldiers shave the front of their heads like in in Qing China, and they carry "cons" on their backs that show their house's sigil, so vey much like the samurai. 

I know there are Japanese influences, I just didn't picture it this way. I think the sketch actually gives me Ebou Dar vibes - where ever it is that the women wear colored petticoats and pin up their skirt. It seems more informal and ... I don't know, jaunty? The slashed sleeves described in the books always brought to mind the fashions of Europe around 1500 and I guess I didn't think too much of it beyond that. The sleeves are very distinctive and kind of overrode everything else. I guess it's mainly that throwing me off to be honest. Maybe I thought they wore kimono style coats or robes when they were casual. As you say, the Japanese influences are more associated with the men and military. 

But overall, I am open to their interpretations. One of the things that I liked about Jordan was his mashing of cultural influences together. I don't think he always pulled it off, but it always got my imagination going.

Edited by Gertrude

I think for the most part the gowns of Cairhienin women were  18th century European, from RJ's descriptions. They had lace at collar and sleeve, at formal events the women had hoop skirts so wide that they have to turn sideways to get through doors, and they pile their hair in elaborate curls, and so on. At the same time, yeah, RJ threw Japanese elements into the military fashion of Cairhien. The show does an interesting melange of it in Moiriane's dress, I guess, but it's definitely slanting a lot more Asian than Jordan envisioned.

I always took the slashes to just be stripes of color, not actual slashing of the clothing.

There is a preview of a Season 2 scene tacked on to the end of Season 1 episode 8.  It's the Ishamael scene with the little girl and 12 hooded figures around the table.

Spoiler

It's definitely darkfriends -- Padan Fain lowers his hood.  The girl is likely a Tinker.

Edited by SpaceChampion

On the one hand, it's a well produced scene. On the other, it's a lengthy scene that really doesn't add much to the over all story. There is so much to be cut from the books, why add a little girl and a lecture about monsters?

Other than perhaps the girl being a "tell" later that a darkfriend is near.