[Spoilers] Episode 106 Discussion

Ran

21 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Honestly, Mysaria doesn’t really need to exist in this show. The only thing she’s integral to is B&C, and they could have Daemon arrange that, especially since they’ve made him more or less a straightforward villain in the show. They could easily have Larys Strong play both sides and have him be the one who whispers poison into Rhaenyra’s ear after she takes the throne. It would probably make for more compelling television, seeing how poorly miscast Mysaria was.

Yeah, you're not wrong. But still they cast her I think it's a safe bet they intend to use her. I don't have a problem with the casting personally. I love the fact that so far they haven't cut anyone of consequence. Or delayed them Like Game of Thrones did with the Blackfish. 

Also Daemon did arrange the Blood and Cheese incident, no? He just used her as a go between. That one it's fair to blame on Daemon in the books. 

I didn't really recall Myseria whispering poison in Rhaenyra's ear. The two things I remember her reporting are "Nettles and Daemon are sleeping together" and "the next night will be even darker" not great news but both things are true, it seems.

According to the wiki she also foiled a plot by some of Corlys's knights to free him. It reads to me like she's fairly loyal to Rhaenyra during that period. But it could be she's trying to inflame Rhaenyra's paranoid like Varys did with Aerys. I'll be interested to see how they play it on the show. Also if she's using magic of some kind, or gets visions. 

17 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

The real test for how successful HOTD is won’t be the ratings or awards, but how many Funko Pops they make for the show. They have about 40 of Jon Snow in black doing slightly different poses.

It's really a shame they don't do Game of Thrones Legos for some reason. Who wouldn't buy a "Daemon fondles his niece in a brothel" set? I can also picture the box of "Maelor visits Bitterbridge" where they're pulling the little Maelor mini-fig apart. 

1 hour ago, RumHam said:
  Hide contents

Oof, I would not like that change. I can understand the argument that gay characters are too often treated as disposable on TV, but changing the existing story to spare someone because of their sexual orientation seems questionable. I feel like equality is being treated like everyone else, not getting plot armor because they're afraid of fan's reactions if they follow the story as written. 

I guess they haven't firmly established the "one rider" rule as far as I remember. Or they could just had Addam ride another dragon. 

Looking at those photos from episode seven, it's really bonkers they didn't make an effort to make Daemon look younger at the start of the show. One brother hasn't aged a day and the other has aged terribly. The weight of the crown, I guess!

I almost forgot Myseria existed. I don't think she really factors into the story again until Blood and Cheese but I wonder if they'll find a way to give her something to do in these last three episodes. Maybe she can get word to Daemon about the plans for Aegon's coronation. 

you obviously didn't know Daemon is an elf 

57 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Honestly, Mysaria doesn’t really need to exist in this show. The only thing she’s integral to is B&C, and they could have Daemon arrange that, especially since they’ve made him more or less a straightforward villain in the show. They could easily have Larys Strong play both sides and have him be the one who whispers poison into Rhaenyra’s ear after she takes the throne. It would probably make for more compelling television, seeing how poorly miscast Mysaria was.

I agree with this .

after the first episode (and its news) , with the timeline in mind, I said it's pretty bold and impressive that they've decided to keep all the characters and storylines . now , unfortunately I think they had misjudged their own ability in storytelling and screen time . not that they are not good , but man , telling story of 30yrs of 20 major characters in 10 episodes and keeping it all consistent and interesting is wayyy too difficult! for example, take the story of episodes 6and 7: in a peaceful realm a king has chosen his daughter as his heir against all traditions . she has three sons who turn out to be bastards. her stepmother , the Queen, despises the princess's infidelities , blames her for her own father's dismissal and is determined to make her own son  the heir . despite the rivalry of mothers , the boys get along fine but somewhere along these two episodes they become mortal enemies . all these is affected when the King's younger brother who's been living in exile comes back to Westeros after his wife's death . oh , and Princess's husband and lover both die and Hand of the king dies and Queen's father comes back and there are some other alliances in the mix and finally the princess marries her uncle!  ..... that could easily be a season of television! it's just plot points but they could write the actual stories of characters and their interactions . I mean , for example, how could we feel like Alicent is without allies and trapped , if her father comes back immediately ? as for the backstories , unlike what GoT team seem to think , flashbacks are a powerful storytelling tool . especially with a story that happens through 30 years! imagine they started with Daemon , Laena and the twins coming back in episode 1 with some people worried that he may make some trouble . with flashback of how he was set aside as heir in favor of Rhaenyra . and the season could end with the final fallout between Greens and Blacks (Aemond situation) and Rhaenyra's second wedding , making it clear who the teams in the dance will be , that Velaryons for example will stand with Rhaenyra , or that Daemon won't usurp the throne or something , or that the new lord Strong won't support his bastard nephews and for reasons is willing to kill his family , or that Viserys will firmly stand by his decision to keep Rhaenyra as his heir and won't be moved by any of Alicent's manipulations or Rhaenyra's mistakes. MAN , there was so much to play with! 

Edited by EggBlue

I had told my friends who have not read the books that the world will be divided into Greens and Blacks, and that people would declare their allegiance to one side, have badges on social media, and it would become a big thing. They are not even noticing the colour coding of Alicent, and all of them are unanimously supporting Rhaenyra. 

By now, we should have seen the two camps in the show... now these friends are unanimously supporting Rhaenyra. Guess the show makes supporting Alicent indefensible, even if people like Viserys. They are pitting some crazed jealousy against a willful princess who has not really done anything wrong, even her husband is supporting her children.

I am bit disappointed in the show just because they did not set up two equally compelling camps. Thinking, they had to give the Greens more compelling reasons beyond agnatic primogeniture, which no one really cares about anyway. GoT was so much more fun, because at least people could support the Greyjoys, Baratheons, Lannisters, Starks or Targaryens and celebrate the houses they supported. This show is giving very little room for that.  

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's really a shame they don't do Game of Thrones Legos for some reason. Who wouldn't buy a "Daemon fondles his niece in a brothel" set? I can also picture the box of "Maelor visits Bitterbridge" where they're pulling the little Maelor mini-fig apart. 

“Ramsay, Violet and Myranda geld and torture Theon” could be a popular set.

21 minutes ago, slant said:

I had told my friends who have not read the books that the world will be divided into Greens and Blacks, and that people would declare their allegiance to one side, have badges on social media, and it would become a big thing. They are not even noticing the colour coding of Alicent, and all of them are unanimously supporting Rhaenyra. 

By now, we should have seen the two camps in the show... now these friends are unanimously supporting Rhaenyra. Guess the show makes supporting Alicent indefensible, even if people like Viserys. They are pitting some crazed jealousy against a willful princess who has not really done anything wrong, even her husband is supporting her children.

I am bit disappointed in the show just because they did not set up two equally compelling camps. Thinking, they had to give the Greens more compelling reasons beyond agnatic primogeniture, which no one really cares about anyway. GoT was so much more fun, because at least people could support the Greyjoys, Baratheons, Lannisters, Starks or Targaryens and celebrate the houses they supported. This show is giving very little room for that.  

That's what I've been telling all the time. The Dance isn't a particularly compelling conflict.

Although some Greens could still be sympathetic - Ormund Hightower, Daeron, say. Johanna Lannister could be sympathetic as well (and Jason is at least fun).

By the way:

While it is great to see Rhaenyra lactating - this is actually pretty great to have her as a woman, basically like Maria Theresa of Austria, returning to work immediately after the most recent child dropped - it is actually quite weirdly modernistic for people to react awkward to this.

Are we to understand that Alicent in part rejects the Jace offer because Rhaenyra's milk throws the Strong thing again in her face?

@Lord Varys

I think the reason Alicent pointed out the lactation was 1) To avoid having to give a definitive response to the Jace-Helaena offer and 2) To embarrass Rhaenyra because not only do most noblewomen not breastfeed their children but also in RL a lot of things relating to female health/reproduction were back then referred to as "women's mysteries" precisely because men weren't allowed to know about them, hence the historical conflict between doctors and midwives.

3 hours ago, slant said:

I am bit disappointed in the show just because they did not set up two equally compelling camps. Thinking, they had to give the Greens more compelling reasons beyond agnatic primogeniture, which no one really cares about anyway.

Other than agnatic primogeniture and the bastardy - both of which are covered in the show - the books don't give a compelling reason to support the greens either.  At least at this point.

Problem with 'evil King Daemon' is that Aegon and Aemond are hardly better, possibly worth.

That said - for the Greens the Daemon marriage must be the last straw. It made things both easier and harder for Rhaenyra.