Football: The Return of the Carabao Cup

polishgenius

7 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Lemme get this straight. You have been travelling the world, canvassing random strangers to determine if they are anti-semitic. Not only that, most of the people you asked admitted they are.

A more accurate way to explain it is that I'm both Jewish and look like someone that Goebbels would have liked to cast in a film. And because of this people have always felt quite comfortable saying very anti-Semitic things to my face. It helps that I never volunteer that I'm Jewish, in part because of this. So no, I cannot provide you anything scientific, just lived experiences. More often than not I find that when people who aren't Jewish discuss Jews and Judaism, it's not in a positive light, to say the least.

30 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

More often than not I find that when people who aren't Jewish discuss Jews and Judaism, it's not in a positive light, to say the least.

Who do you think is having this discussion? Where are all these non-Jews sitting around discussing Jews and Judaism?

I mean, I'm happy to talk all day about the absolute fucking state of the State of Israel, and the ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people, but that doesn't make me an anti-semite. No matter what the IHRA would like you to believe.

Anti-semitism is a real problem. And should be condemned wherever it rears its ugly fucking head. But stop saying it's most people. Because it's not. Most people really don't give a shit which God you worship.

They've got more important things to be concerned with.

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Who do you think is having this discussion? Where are all these non-Jews sitting around discussing Jews and Judaism?

That you have to ask suggest a blind spot on your end my friend. 

I mean, I'm happy to talk all day about the absolute fucking state of the State of Israel, and the ongoing genocide of the Palestinian people, but that doesn't make me an anti-semite. No matter what the IHRA would like you to believe.

Trust me, I've spent the majority of my life being critical of the Israeli government. It's absolutely fair to compare it to Apartheid South Africa. Just keep in mind though that there are many more people than you'd think who are making similar arguments against Israel as a proxy for Jews in general. When you come from the minority group you learn how to spot the differences pretty quickly.

Anti-semitism is a real problem. And should be condemned wherever it rears its ugly fucking head. But stop saying it's most people. Because it's not. Most people really don't give a shit about which God you worship.

They've got more important things to be concerned with.

It can be religious or ethnic. But what I will tell you, and it's just not something you've had to experience as far as I can tell, is that most of the Christian girls I've dated have had no issues with me being Jewish. But the parents and grandparents. I'd say a super majority were not happy that their daughter/granddaughter was fucking a kike. And I'm someone who can pass, which should tell you how much worse it is for individuals from minority groups that cannot. 

20 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That you have to ask suggest a blind spot on your end my friend. 

No. I am simply taking issue with your assertion that most people are anti-Semites. It's really that simple. 

And how ironic that we are having this discussion because, of all the English clubs you could have chosen to support, you chose a club with one of the most openly anti-Semitic fanbases in the country.

Yet, when this is pointed out to you, you flippantly excuse it for the sake of some silverware, before going on to accuse mostly everyone on earth of being anti-Semitic.

If you want to see some genuinely horrific anti-Semitism, have a look at this. Skip to about 17 mins 45 seconds. Trigger Warning: Chelsea fans, amongst other things, hissing to mimic the sound of gas chambers.

Methinks if you were genuinely so concerned about anti-Semitism, you would, right fucking now, be looking for a new football club to support.

/derail

13 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

No. I am simply taking issue with your assertion that most people are anti-Semites. It's really that simple. 

And how ironic that we are having this discussion because, of all the English clubs you could have chosen to support, you chose one with one of the most openly anti-Semitic fanbases in the country.

Yet, when this is pointed out to you, you flippantly excuse it for the sake of some silverware, before going on to accuse mostly everyone on earth of being anti-Semitic.

Methinks if you were genuinely so concerned about anti-Semitism, you'd be looking for a new football club to support.

/derail

Did you miss the number of jokes I've made in the past about how you guys didn't warn me before I picked Chelsea as the club I chose to root for? If only I had known more about Argentina's history before I supported them. :P 

Listen, I'm just trying to explain to you the perspective from an ethnic and religious group that is incredibly small and historically and currently kind of hated everywhere we go. If I visited the UK I'd happily tell people that I have English, Irish and Scottish ancestry. I would not tell strangers I'm Jewish. Make of that what you will. 

Anyways, we can end the derail.

13 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Did you miss the number of jokes I've made in the past about how you guys didn't warn me before I picked Chelsea as the club I chose to root for? If only I had known more about Argentina's history before I supported them. :P 

Listen, I'm just trying to explain to you the perspective from an ethnic and religious group that is incredibly small and historically and currently kind of hated everywhere we go. If I visited the UK I'd happily tell people that I have English, Irish and Scottish ancestry. I would not tell strangers I'm Jewish. Make of that what you will. 

Anyways, we can end the derail.

Wait, you're Jewish and you support Chelsea?

Before Roman  took over they had the second most anti-Semitic fanbase after West Ham.

15 hours ago, Spockydog said:

*horseshit claxon*

While there are many anti-semites out there, to say that people in general - meaning most people - is horseshit of the highest order.

The only anti-semites I know are the ones that basically get paid to be anti-semitic. 

I think you'll find that most people, certainly most people I know, couldn't care less about anyone's religion.

Just pointing out that anti-semitism is barely about religion. Maybe it was in medieval Europe but Nazi ideology was founded on Jews being a race.

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Winning the CL smooths over a lot of things. And besides, people in general are anti-Semitic. Nothing new there. :dunno:

"In general" is a bit strong and I agree with Spockydog above that it's a harsh assessment, but I can certainly sympathize with how casually a lot of people express anti-Semitism.

Me and by brother must not look traditionally Jewish either cause we've frequently had people say anti-Semitic things without it even occurring to them that we might be Jewish.

My brother was in London with a group of people and the one guy had moved to Golder's Green and my brother was like "oh that's a very Jewish area right" and the guy responded "yeah unfortunately" without seeming to give any consideration to what he was saying. Then the others told him my brother was Jewish and he got all awkward and tried to pretend it was a joke.

39 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Wait, you're Jewish and you support Chelsea?

Before Roman  took over they had the second most anti-Semitic fanbase after West Ham.

Would have been nice to know beforehand.

31 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Just pointing out that anti-semitism is barely about religion. Maybe it was in medieval Europe but Nazi ideology was founded on Jews being a race.

Hence my repeated attempts to say there might be a blind spot here.

"In general" is a bit strong and I agree with Spockydog above that it's a harsh assessment, but I can certainly sympathize with how casually a lot of people express anti-Semitism.

Me and by brother must not look traditionally Jewish either cause we've frequently had people say anti-Semitic things without it even occurring to them that we might be Jewish.

My brother was in London with a group of people and the one guy had moved to Golder's Green and my brother was like "oh that's a very Jewish area right" and the guy responded "yeah unfortunately" without seeming to give any consideration to what he was saying. Then the others told him my brother was Jewish and he got all awkward and tried to pretend it was a joke.

I'm just saying things like this have happened easily thousands of times in my life and that the microaggressions are what often get overlooked. 

It was obvious that Haaland would be scoring at a higher rate at City than he did at Dortmund given that City are a vastly superior team and create loads more chances. What may be a bit of a surprise is the extent to which he's excelled. Only people who watched very little of Haaland and had him labelled as a tap in merchant thought he would struggle.

Archived