Daenerys Targaryen is a better leader than Jon Snow.

On 12/21/2022 at 12:32 PM, Here's Looking At You, Kid said:

Merry Chrismas.  May the Lord bless you and keep your family safe during this holiday season.  

Daenerys Targaryen is a better ruler and leader than Jon Snow.  We are all familiar with their leadership styles.  There is enough information for us to pass judgment on who the better leader is.  I will start with Jon Snow.

Jon Snow

Jon is far from the worst leader in A Song of Ice and Fire.  He is actually capable most of the time.  His biggest strength as a leader is his ability to teach.  Jon was able to teach the other less-fortunate cadets the proper use of the sword in combat.  Yes, he was an arrogant and entitled fool when he arrived.  A little man to man talk with a seasoned man helped open his eyes.  Many of the fans praise Jon for protecting the craven cadet, Samwell Tarly.  It is a well-earned praise.  Samwell would have died from fright if Jon had not stepped in and helped. 

I have established that Jon Snow is basically an average guy who has had good training in the fighting arts.  As a leader, he is usually capable of performing his job.  However, he has big problems beneath his exterior.  Many of the fans have already brought it up repeatedly.   Jon has a chip on his shoulders.  Push that chip and he goes ballistic.  He is guilty of attacking Ser Alliser Thorne, a man of higher rank and status.  He has anger management issues which culminated in the inappropriate way in which he judged two guilty men, Janos Slynt and Mance Rayder.  By every laws of the land, it should have been the deserter and traitor, Mance Rayder, who was executed.  Matters went downhill from there.  He sent the deserter and turncloak to bring his sister to him at the Wall.  This is an act of war against Roose and Ramsay Bolton.  The Night's Watch should never, and never has until now, make war against the people of The Seven Kingdoms. 

I served in the military for a significant part of my early adult life.  I have never been tested in the same way as Jon was with Arya.  I will say there are a lot of men who would do as Jon did.  They would forsake their duties, no matter how critical it is, to save their sisters.  But there are still more who would do their duties and accept that they cannot help their sisters.  For proof, you only have to look at those men who are in the business of rescuing and saving people and property.  Many men would rather be at home with their families during an emergency crisis but instead they stay at their posts and do their jobs.  I knew people who went to Kuwait while they had desperate families back home.  Parents battling cancer.  Wives struggling to raise handicapped children alone.  I could go on and on.  The point is, it is not unreasonable nor is it rare for people to do their jobs even when they have critical family concerns back home.  And those men who can't do this should never be in command.  It's fine for desk jockey to always sacrifice his duties for his families.  But that is not acceptable for a commander of an organization who has been tasked with the protection of the kingdom from an existential threat. 

Quorin Halfhand said something in book 2.  He said of Mance Rayder, he was the best and the worst of us.  He had trouble obeying.  Jon is very much like Mance Rayder.  In many ways, he is the ideal black brother.  But he is also the worst possible.  Jon is a man gifted with martial skills.  He is a smart young man who usually makes sound decisions.  I don't think his inability to judge and prioritize will matter much with the Wildlings.  To the Free Folk, whatever the strong man says is right is right.  Might makes right with the Wildlings.  Jon does not have to be fair, nor consistent.  Laws among the Wildlings are not as well-defined. 

Daenerys Targaryen

Princess Daenerys Targaryen began the story a scared and nervous young girl.  Forced to marry into an alien culture, she used her natural intelligence to thrive.  Courage, intelligence, and determination allowed her to adapt to the Dothraki culture.  She brought the dragons back from extinction.  She had the smarts and the courage to lead her khalasar beyond the Red Waste until they reached Vaes Tolorro.  This is nothing less than remarkable for a girl of her age.  She defeated the Undying in the Palace of Dust with the help of her dragon, Drogon.  Over and over, Daenerys has managed to use her intelligence and her cunning to outmaneuver her adversaries.  She has become a very good player of the game of thrones with a style all her own. 

Queen Daenerys has become the conqueror and the ruler of the slaver city of Meereen.  She knows what we know.  As humans, we have a responsibility to make laws and judge the guilty.  The Meereenese masters perpetrated the most heinous war crime in the entire saga so far.  This is many times more heinous than the Red Wedding in The Twins.  The masters crucified the children of their slaves and used them to decorate the road to the city.  This kind of crime cannot go unpunished.  To do so would be to deny justice to those children.  Allowing the Meereenese to bring forth the guilty is a modern concept of peers judging peers.  It is certainly preferable to the arbitrary trial of combat being practiced in Westeros.  She is facing an enemy who refuse to fight her troops in open combat.  And yet, she refused to execute her cup bearers.  This was a smart move.  Those children can be socialized and educated away from their slaver parents.  These children will be the foundation of a free Slaver's Bay. 

The situation in Meereen is very complicated.  Skahaz, Reznak, and Hizdahr are unreliable allies.  Daenerys has been warned to be careful by Quaithe.  Yet, she reacts with reason and caution.  Cersei would have had them all killed.  But a good leader knows that you have to trust people.  Everything carries a risk.  One person cannot manage a city of the size of Meereen.  Jorah's betrayal is revealed.  Daenerys wisely did not kill the man and instead sent him into exile.  Daenerys is a reflective, thoughtful person.  Which is a good quality for someone who has to make decisions.  She has some learning to do but her potential as a ruler is without limits.  I would choose her to rule Westeros.  

She is a great ruler of men.  I want her to inherit Westeros and rebuild in the aftermath of the long winter.  

Merry Chrismas.  May the Lord bless you and keep your family safe during this holiday season.  

Daenerys Targaryen is a better ruler and leader than Jon Snow.  We are all familiar with their leadership styles.  There is enough information for us to pass judgment on who the better leader is.  I will start with Jon Snow.

Jon Snow

Jon is far from the worst leader in A Song of Ice and Fire.  He is actually capable most of the time.  His biggest strength as a leader is his ability to teach.  Jon was able to teach the other less-fortunate cadets the proper use of the sword in combat.  Yes, he was an arrogant and entitled fool when he arrived.  A little man to man talk with a seasoned man helped open his eyes.  Many of the fans praise Jon for protecting the craven cadet, Samwell Tarly.  It is a well-earned praise.  Samwell would have died from fright if Jon had not stepped in and helped. 

I have established that Jon Snow is basically an average guy who has had good training in the fighting arts.  As a leader, he is usually capable of performing his job.  However, he has big problems beneath his exterior.  Many of the fans have already brought it up repeatedly.   Jon has a chip on his shoulders.  Push that chip and he goes ballistic.  He is guilty of attacking Ser Alliser Thorne, a man of higher rank and status.  He has anger management issues which culminated in the inappropriate way in which he judged two guilty men, Janos Slynt and Mance Rayder.  By every laws of the land, it should have been the deserter and traitor, Mance Rayder, who was executed.  Matters went downhill from there.  He sent the deserter and turncloak to bring his sister to him at the Wall.  This is an act of war against Roose and Ramsay Bolton.  The Night's Watch should never, and never has until now, make war against the people of The Seven Kingdoms. 

I served in the military for a significant part of my early adult life.  I have never been tested in the same way as Jon was with Arya.  I will say there are a lot of men who would do as Jon did.  They would forsake their duties, no matter how critical it is, to save their sisters.  But there are still more who would do their duties and accept that they cannot help their sisters.  For proof, you only have to look at those men who are in the business of rescuing and saving people and property.  Many men would rather be at home with their families during an emergency crisis but instead they stay at their posts and do their jobs.  I knew people who went to Kuwait while they had desperate families back home.  Parents battling cancer.  Wives struggling to raise handicapped children alone.  I could go on and on.  The point is, it is not unreasonable nor is it rare for people to do their jobs even when they have critical family concerns back home.  And those men who can't do this should never be in command.  It's fine for desk jockey to always sacrifice his duties for his families.  But that is not acceptable for a commander of an organization who has been tasked with the protection of the kingdom from an existential threat. 

Quorin Halfhand said something in book 2.  He said of Mance Rayder, he was the best and the worst of us.  He had trouble obeying.  Jon is very much like Mance Rayder.  In many ways, he is the ideal black brother.  But he is also the worst possible.  Jon is a man gifted with martial skills.  He is a smart young man who usually makes sound decisions.  I don't think his inability to judge and prioritize will matter much with the Wildlings.  To the Free Folk, whatever the strong man says is right is right.  Might makes right with the Wildlings.  Jon does not have to be fair, nor consistent.  Laws among the Wildlings are not as well-defined. 

Daenerys Targaryen

Princess Daenerys Targaryen began the story a scared and nervous young girl.  Forced to marry into an alien culture, she used her natural intelligence to thrive.  Courage, intelligence, and determination allowed her to adapt to the Dothraki culture.  She brought the dragons back from extinction.  She had the smarts and the courage to lead her khalasar beyond the Red Waste until they reached Vaes Tolorro.  This is nothing less than remarkable for a girl of her age.  She defeated the Undying in the Palace of Dust with the help of her dragon, Drogon.  Over and over, Daenerys has managed to use her intelligence and her cunning to outmaneuver her adversaries.  She has become a very good player of the game of thrones with a style all her own. 

Queen Daenerys has become the conqueror and the ruler of the slaver city of Meereen.  She knows what we know.  As humans, we have a responsibility to make laws and judge the guilty.  The Meereenese masters perpetrated the most heinous war crime in the entire saga so far.  This is many times more heinous than the Red Wedding in The Twins.  The masters crucified the children of their slaves and used them to decorate the road to the city.  This kind of crime cannot go unpunished.  To do so would be to deny justice to those children.  Allowing the Meereenese to bring forth the guilty is a modern concept of peers judging peers.  It is certainly preferable to the arbitrary trial of combat being practiced in Westeros.  She is facing an enemy who refuse to fight her troops in open combat.  And yet, she refused to execute her cup bearers.  This was a smart move.  Those children can be socialized and educated away from their slaver parents.  These children will be the foundation of a free Slaver's Bay. 

The situation in Meereen is very complicated.  Skahaz, Reznak, and Hizdahr are unreliable allies.  Daenerys has been warned to be careful by Quaithe.  Yet, she reacts with reason and caution.  Cersei would have had them all killed.  But a good leader knows that you have to trust people.  Everything carries a risk.  One person cannot manage a city of the size of Meereen.  Jorah's betrayal is revealed.  Daenerys wisely did not kill the man and instead sent him into exile.  Daenerys is a reflective, thoughtful person.  Which is a good quality for someone who has to make decisions.  She has some learning to do but her potential as a ruler is without limits.  I would choose her to rule Westeros.  

It would seem this is the end game of her story arc.  To rule Westeros.  Everything going on in her chapters is training for the job.  Experience is a harsh teacher but also the best teacher.  

21 hours ago, Skahaz mo Kandaq said:

She is a great ruler of men.  I want her to inherit Westeros and rebuild in the aftermath of the long winter.  

Remember the part where Daenerys thinks 'dragons plant no trees'? Is that really someone you want in charge of rebuilding, especially given the food shortage?

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

Dany will be a great ruling Queen.  

Jon Snow

Daenerys Targaryen

Jon's challenge was also smaller.  He should have succeeded but he failed.  He was so sucky at his job that even the most loyal of the men stabbed him to save the watch from his rule. 

2 hours ago, Targaryen Restoration said:

Jon's challenge was also smaller.  He should have succeeded but he failed.  He was so sucky at his job that even the most loyal of the men stabbed him to save the watch from his rule. 

Dany left an entire city’s worth of population dead and more are going to die . She willingly kills and tortures children. She is worse than the pale mare, she is literally the pale horsemen, rides a pale horse and pale herself. She’ll bring death.

Hmm, no, I don't think she is.  I think it's more along the lines of two sides to a coin.

Dany has certain strengths.....I'm of the opinion that there's good evidence that bonding with a dragon alters the personality of the rider...personalities mingle (I think there's good evidence for this based on prior Targs changes in behavior once bonded...seems like its a two-way-street in terms of taming).

Dany started out helpless and totally subservient and that immediately went away as soon as she had Drogon. Similar changes in personality exist, if you look for them, within Fire and Blood.

If I had to guess, I think the whole point is that Dany is good at what John Snow is bad at.  Dany, once she bonded with drogon, became a lot more decisive, and a lot more "fire and blood."

Jon Snow, on the other hand, has been trying his damndest to manage the Watch, and he's failed....they killed him.  Assuming that he comes back with a much stronger bond to his wolf, Ghost, I think, apart from being more brutal, he's probably also going to focus more on "the pack"  IE: He's going to be a magnet and win people to his cause.  Wolf traits.

Dany is good at "fire and blood" and Jon is probably going to become good at building a pack. 

18 hours ago, Targaryen Restoration said:

Jon is less-competent.  He has some good qualities but his leadership as well as his skills at ruling are not as good as Dany's.  Dany is just better at it. 

On 1/5/2023 at 11:01 PM, Targaryen Restoration said:

Jon sucked at ruling.  Daenerys is already a great leader.  Time is on her side and she will become the ruler who will rebuild Westeros.  

4 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Stark, Snow, Lannister, Baratheon failed. All of them. Only a true born Targaryen, Dany, can repair the damage done by lesser leaders like Robert, Jon, Robb, and Tywin. 

By trueborn you mean born out of incest right? Yes, Jon, despite being Rhaegar’s son, can’t be counted as a trueborn Targaryen even if Rhaegar married(and possibly did) with Lyanna, because he is not born to a sibling couple and even if he had been born as a trueborn Targaryan, he could never have functioned as one since he was raised with northern values which do not involve fucking your own sister.

Poor Jon, he can never hope to be an incest abomination that see it as normal like some others.

6 hours ago, Darth Sidious said:

Stark, Snow, Lannister, Baratheon failed. All of them. Only a true born Targaryen, Dany, can repair the damage done by lesser leaders like Robert, Jon, Robb, and Tywin.

Unless, of course, rather than repairing anything Daenerys goes full Fire and Blood and causes even more damage. Oh dear! I wonder who will clean up her mess?

They seem.polar opposites on reflection about leading

Jon has great ideas , leads from front/example   and innovates quite well but doesnt communicate, listen to  or sway those under him to his way  very well. Also while having naysayers keeps a leader in check he sends away loyal followers that could help.sway others(and keep him safe) and doesnt listen to criticism or umderstand the difference in general grumbling to actual issues his followers have with  his policies

By contrast danys ideas outside of military (get sellswords drunk, attack at night ,use sewers and diversion attack on mereen to help sewer mission suceed) are just awful however she has a good crew around her and seems.willing to reverse wrong decisions (reopening pits)

Daenerys will be the perfect Empress to rule the Dothraki, Ghiscari, and Westerosi.  She speaks multiple languages and has a very intelligent mind.  She will have a lot of experience by the time she comes to Westeros and retakes the iron throne.  By contrast, Jon is a bit of a dolt.  That stunt of sending Mance Rayder for Arya was the single most damaging thing a lord commander had ever done to the Order of the Night's Watch.  I can see why the men removed Jon from power. 

7 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

Daenerys will be the perfect Empress to rule the Dothraki, Ghiscari, and Westerosi.  She speaks multiple languages and has a very intelligent mind.  She will have a lot of experience by the time she comes to Westeros and retakes the iron throne.  By contrast, Jon is a bit of a dolt.  That stunt of sending Mance Rayder for Arya was the single most damaging thing a lord commander had ever done to the Order of the Night's Watch.  I can see why the men removed Jon from power. 

Just factually incorrect on a number of fronts. Her experience is near constant failure. She isn’t stupid but she isn’t that intelligent. The majority of Westeros will hate her. Jon is probably the only rational human being that can lead the NW. and while sending Mance did backfire on him, I’d say there are several more damaging things done in the history of NW. mainly the Night’s King. Jon isn’t some super genius but he isn’t stupid. He is definitely more intelligent than almost all of the NW.

20 hours ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

IF she doesn't die of dysentery.

On 1/12/2023 at 5:18 PM, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

16 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

IF she doesn't die of dysentery.

She is already recovering. 

On 1/12/2023 at 5:07 AM, Craving Peaches said:

Unless, of course, rather than repairing anything Daenerys goes full Fire and Blood and causes even more damage. Oh dear! I wonder who will clean up her mess?

What you imagine can happen but it is not likely to happen. Daenerys is very intelligent. The damage caused and inflicted by Robert, Jon, Robb, and Tywin have already happened. Westeros is still suffering from the actions of those gentlemen.