"Only 500 pages to go" for Winds of Winter

Aebram

It’s cute that people are discussing potential future plot points in books.  I’ve pretty much given up any hope of getting a 6th book.

I think it best just to view ASOIAF as a three book trilogy, and aside from season 1, pretend like the show never happened.  And it is a damn good three book trilogy at that.  

EDIT: I suppose it is redundant to say three book trilogy.  A trilogy would already imply three. 

Edited by Rubicante

Not sure if you guys will find this info interesting or new but here it goes:

Penguin House has adquired the rights to publish the asoaif saga on spain and the rest of the spanish speaking world. Why is this relevant? Well, the books were in a kind of publishing limbo as the previous publisher lost the right and word was that no other publisher would make the investment unless they get assured that the next book is nearby.

Well, now Penguin House announced that all 5 books will be relased all at once this year (june 22), also explicitly talking about releasing the next book in the saga.

It might be nothing, but it might be a sign that the publishing date is coming nearer

On 5/5/2023 at 6:14 AM, SeanF said:

I think Martin is far too good a writer to misuse Niemoller’s “First They Came” prose poem, the way that the two D’s did.

I am pretty sure that Tyrion's speech about Bran and his story came from GRRM, it's characteristic of him (from the very beginning the importance of stories is emphasized) and didn't make any sense in the context of the show.

However, I cannot believe Tyrion's speech to Jon comes from him. He is not planning to make Dany a Hitler parallel, and Tyrion is not a saint but someone who believes that Dany should have poisoned the wells of Meereen and let the slavers die.

On 5/5/2023 at 5:58 AM, Rubicante said:

It’s cute that people are discussing potential future plot points in books.  I’ve pretty much given up any hope of getting a 6th book.

I think it best just to view ASOIAF as a three book trilogy, and aside from season 1, pretend like the show never happened.  And it is a damn good three book trilogy at that.  

EDIT: I suppose it is redundant to say three book trilogy.  A trilogy would already imply three. 

I don't think so. The message that the first 3 books send is not the message GRRM wants to send.

On 5/4/2023 at 5:50 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

It’s possible that Dany doesn’t go “mad,” but that that’s the way she’s remembered (we’re already seeing the groundwork for that in the Quentyn and Arianne chapters). It’s also possible that all of the dragon dreams/mystical encounters start taking their toll. Quaithe may think she’s helping Dany, but she’s also making her very paranoid. Part of the reason why she spurns Quentyn is because Quaithe warned her not to trust him (or anyone, really).

On 5/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, sifth said:

Which doesn't make sense. Quentyn is one of the nicest guys in the series. I often wonder if Quaithe is a villain; it is starting to seem that way.

As of now she's done a pretty good job of not letting Quaithe's prophecies guide her decisions. But I'm of the opinion that it will take its toll, as you said. Even if it's just temporary. Whatever Quaithe's intentions are, she's essentially playing mind games with an already confused and highly stressed girl. I agree with you, @sifth, in that she might be a villain. And it doesn't help that Quaithe only appears to Dany and nobody else. If I caught Dany having a full on conversation with the air, I might be questioning her sanity a little bit.

Hi, 

I was hoping one of you kind folks could help me find a blog post by George that I'm failing to locate. 

It was from years back, and he was explaining why the book (probably Winds) wasn't going to make it before to publication before the next season of the show. He explained his process and said that he was given a deadline by his publishers to have the manuscript to them so (I think) the show wouldn't overtake the books. He further explained that he missed the deadline and was given a reprieve, but had now missed the new one as well. My enduring memory of the post though is that the reprieve he was given was three months and at the time he felt that was realistic. 

Of course, we know it hasn't worked out that way. 

I randomly remembered this the other day and went searching for it to no avail. Does anyone else remember this? Or did I hallucinate?

Any help/thoughts are appreciated.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Hi, 

I was hoping one of you kind folks could help me find a blog post by George that I'm failing to locate. 

It was from years back, and he was explaining why the book (probably Winds) wasn't going to make it before to publication before the next season of the show. He explained his process and said that he was given a deadline by his publishers to have the manuscript to them so (I think) the show wouldn't overtake the books. He further explained that he missed the deadline and was given a reprieve, but had now missed the new one as well. My enduring memory of the post though is that the reprieve he was given was three months and at the time he felt that was realistic. 

I randomly remembered this the other day and went searching for it to no avail. Does anyone else remember this? Or did I hallucinate?

On his Not a Blog blog? I've been going through his posts to find it, but no luck. :( 

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

Hi, 

Hey, I don't have time to look it up, but there's a webpage lining up every post and comment George made about TWOW. I'm pretty sure you will be able to find it on that page, I can personally recall reading the specifics you mentioned.

2 hours ago, Ninefingers said:

Hi, 

I don't know where you can find it, but yes, I remember it and yes at that time, 2018? he thought he could finish in 3 more months.  Poor summer child.

Guys, I fully believe that we are going to get The Winds of Winter. Now, A Dream of Spring might not happen without there being a co-writer of some kind...but Winds will come.

Hopefully GRRM ends this book with no loose ends and the only cliffhanger being that of the Wall being breached

On 5/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, Aelwen said:

With Bran becoming a king, Westeros will never become a democracy or anything resembling it. 

What's the problem with that?

Sorry but I really am beginning to believe democracy is overrated

On 5/4/2023 at 6:22 PM, sifth said:

Which doesn't make sense. Quentyn is one of the nicest guys in the series. I often wonder if Quaithe is a villain; it is starting to seem that way.

Not trusting Quentyn actually made perfect sense. Have you forgotten that Quentyn actually tried stealing one of her dragons? What do you think he would've done if he had been successful?

And what was she supposed to do when Quentyn showed up? Take her armies and dragons and leave immediately for Westeros? With what ships?!

That's why Victarion is going to be treated completely differently.

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

That one guy on Reddit who’s always claiming he has secret intel (i.e. that Miguel sabotaged the S2 scripts and they had to be rewritten lol) is now saying that Winds is finished. I never wanted a fraud to be right so much in my life.

Wait, that guy?

If he was a fraud, how could he have sabotaged the S2 scripts? What happened there.

20 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Guys, I fully believe that we are going to get The Winds of Winter. Now, A Dream of Spring might not happen without there being a co-writer of some kind...but Winds will come.

Hopefully GRRM ends this book with no loose ends and the only cliffhanger being that of the Wall being breached

What's the problem with that?

Sorry but I really am beginning to believe democracy is overrated

Not trusting Quentyn actually made perfect sense. Have you forgotten that Quentyn actually tried stealing one of her dragons? What do you think he would've done if he had been successful?

And what was she supposed to do when Quentyn showed up? Take her armies and dragons and leave immediately for Westeros? With what ships?!

That's why Victarion is going to be treated completely differently.

Wait, that guy?

If he was a fraud, how could he have sabotaged the S2 scripts? What happened there.

It’s just some guy on Reddit who likes to claim he has super-secret inside info (according to Ran, he’s been doing it for a while). One of his “scoops” was that before being forced to leave HOTD, Miguel S. purposely provided a bad outline to the screenwriters to sabotage the show, which is why there were rewrites. As you can see, there’s an awful lot of holes in this story (like why a director would be doing screenwriting or how it somehow slipped Condal’s notice).

36 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

He was trying to tame one of her dragons, not steal it. He was also planning to use the dragon to try and save Dany. We're literally in his head when these events are happening.

20 minutes ago, sifth said:

He was trying to tame one of her dragons, not steal it. He was also planning to use the dragon to try and save Dany. We're literally in his head when these events are happening.

Okay well that does it...

I guess it's time for me to reread A Dance with Dragons. Because I don't remember reading anything about how Quentyn was trying to tame a dragon in order to save the day. I thought he was doing it for DorneTM because he didn't want to go back to his father empty-handed and looking stupid.

But trying to tame and take someone else's dragon without their knowledge or consent would be classified as stealing.

40 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

One of his “scoops” was that before being forced to leave HOTD, Miguel S. purposely provided a bad outline to the screenwriters to sabotage the show, which is why there were rewrites. As you can see, there’s an awful lot of holes in this story (like why a director would be doing screenwriting or how it somehow slipped Condal’s notice).

Wow

Does anyone know if GRRM has an annoying nephew or something? Because if so, I think we found him.

4 minutes ago, BlackLightning said:

Okay well that does it...

I guess it's time for me to reread A Dance with Dragons. Because I don't remember reading anything about how Quentyn was trying to tame a dragon in order to save the day. I thought he was doing it for DorneTM because he didn't want to go back to his father empty-handed and looking stupid.

You act as if Dany was doing anything useful with them. They were just rotting away in a prison. He very much mentions that he planned to use the dragon to save Dany.