Ted Lasso (new seasons… new reasons)(spoilers)

Ser Scot A Ellison

15 hours ago, dbunting said:

How about Coach Beard and Roy move to the US and take over a MLS team and it's Roy who is a bit of a fish out of water culture wise.  Ted can pop in for a cameo. Roy in the US right now would be cancelled and sent home after one outburst!

That show would be great.

17 hours ago, dbunting said:

How about Coach Beard and Roy move to the US and take over a MLS team and it's Roy who is a bit of a fish out of water culture wise.  Ted can pop in for a cameo. Roy in the US right now would be cancelled and sent home after one outburst!

To be a mirror of Ted he needs to coach in the NFL.

You get players through a draft? What is this, fucking war? It's fucking mental!

Edited by Corvinus85

19 hours ago, dbunting said:

The mirror would be Roy taking over an American Football team with Beard to assist.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The mirror would be Roy taking over an American Football team with Beard to assist.

I did say that Roy would be a fish out of water CULTURE wise, not sport. 

On 5/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, dbunting said:

I could see it wrapping up with Jaime and Keely together. Ted and beard heading back to the US. Then one of two things, either Roy takes over as coach or the boy wonder leaves West Ham and comes back to his home team. I am also assuming the last episode has the Greyhounds beating West Ham, or Manchester.

This prediction is looking pretty accurate right now, other than the Jamie -Keely part, I shit the bed on that one.

I guess the finale has a few questions for us.

Does Beard go back to the US w Ted or stay here with his love? Maybe he stays there and is part of a potential spin off?

Do Rebecca and Sam finally get together out in the open?

On 5/12/2023 at 2:44 PM, dbunting said:

I agree that Ted and Beard leave at the end of the season and I think Roy and Nathan take over together. It's clear Nathan isn't long for his current position and I assume dipshit owner gets caught cheating at the end and his new wife takes that club from him just like he lost the other one!?!? Obviously a stretch but it would be funny to see his ex wives running both clubs as friends while he is in misery.

That was Ruperts current wife and mistress that showed up at Rebeccas house right? Looks like the above comment might be coming true!

As to this episode it was nice to see Ted and his mom both call each other out for their bull shit. Her for pretending nothing was ever wrong and him for even being there instead of home with his son.  

Pretty funny scene where Roy sees a poster of him in Jaimes room, many came and went but Roys stayed...!   Then seeing his dad in what I assume was rehab cheering his son on was pretty nice.

Have to say I fell for the Rebecca fake out at the end, I was sure she was going to tell Ted she was pregnant.

So... there were parts about that that I liked, but boy were there some miss-steps too. I don't mind a bit of ambiguity and I get they were probably leaving some stuff with a potential spinoff in mind, but they actually wrapped up almost nothing. It's an ending that feels like it's from a whole different show, almost.

Spoiler

I actually don't mind Keeley and Roy not getting together properly, despite assuming it for the whole season. Avoiding that rom-com ending was good. But doing so by having a last minute Jamie-actually-does-want-to-get-back-with-her love triangle arc where both of them behave like absolute chodes was a misstep. Just... have Keely not be ready to make that step, ffs. 

Ted not being best man at Beard's wedding was laughable. Like, he's going home to live with his son in America, he's not in fucking prison there. 

On the match, predictable but entertaining, but the idea that nobody would have seen that the ball went through the net is silly. Also: not using VAR for that, but then suddenly having it available for the offside. I know, I know, not really a football show, but at least be unrealistic in roughly the same way in the same game. 

On the plus side: Rebecca and Ted's ending was just right. I know a lot of people wanted them to get together, and that apparent one-night stand tease was cruel to those people, but it was just never gonna work. 

Rupert's downfall: chef's  kiss.

So the finale is 76 minutes huh? How much willpower is it going to take to get through that? I might force myself. This review doesn’t help my motivation but seems a pretty good summary of the show overall:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/31/good-riddance-ted-lasso-how-the-nice-comedy-became-utterly-dreadful-television

Ted Lasso became gratingly, ruthlessly, cynically, about demonstrating its niceness and not much else. Characters no longer spoke like human beings, instead delivering painfully earnest missives about not sharing nudes of your partner, or not settling in relationships. I have never seen a show so singularly – and boringly – focused on reminding its audience to be decent

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:
  Hide contents

On the match, predictable but entertaining, but the idea that nobody would have seen that the ball went through the net is silly. Also: not using VAR for that, but then suddenly having it available for the offside. I know, I know, not really a football show, but at least be unrealistic in roughly the same way in the same game. 

Spoiler

To be fair, the way they showed it, it did look at first like he lobbed it over the goal.

And hehe, like you said VAR doesn't see it, but Mike Dean saw it. Totally unrealistic, indeed.

Minus some awful greenscreen and CGI, I thought the finale was solid. They landed well.

Spoiler

Ted's story was neatly wrapped up. Rebecca realized that she truly belonged at Richmond and seemingly found romantic happiness too.

The Roy-Keeley-Jamie love triangle got a swift kick in the butt - they remain coworkers and friends. This arc, plus Roy becoming the head coach and Beard staying as assistant means that life at Richmond goes on without Ted.

There were some nice full circle moments, like Ted correctly calling the offside before everyone else, considering from where he started. Rupert losing another club and getting the fans' venom full in the face. 

Edited by Corvinus85

14 hours ago, polishgenius said:

he's not in fucking prison there. 

You've obviously never been to Wichita.

7 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m seeing some complaints about how the Ted Rebecca story ended.  I like seeing two people of different genders who are close friends remaining close friends without romantic entanglement.  

I didn't love the finale, but they did a great job with Ted and Rebecca.

7 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Minus some awful greenscreen and CGI, I thought the finale was solid. They landed well.

Hide contents

Ted's story was neatly wrapped up. Rebecca realized that she truly belonged at Richmond and seemingly found romantic happiness too.

The Roy-Keeley-Jamie love triangle got a swift kick in the butt - they remain coworkers and friends. This arc, plus Roy becoming the head coach and Beard staying as assistant means that life at Richmond goes on without Ted.

There were some nice full circle moments, like Ted correctly calling the offside before everyone else, considering where from he started. Rupert losing another club and getting the fans' venom full in the face. 

I read it as a callback to Season 1 Ted, arguing with assistant referee: "Explain to me how that's offside! No, I'm serious, how is that offside? I don't understand it yet".

I thought it wrapped up well and liked that it didn't go for the all smiles and rainbows ending. They didn't win the league. Rebecca wasn't miraculously pregnant. Keely/Roy/Jaime aren't together but each is a better version than season one.. 

Hmm I remember somebody posting on here pretty much this entire ending minus the Keely part...either I am good or this was too predictable.

As to Ted and Michelle, IMO they will get together. It was pretty clear while they were watching the match and the boyfriend was not into it and each time they went back to them he was farther removed, the last scene he was literally in the back ground. Then cut to the homecoming and he isn't at the house or at the soccer game with her. 

It was a good series, not something I will re watch but something I'm glad I saw.

Edit - Hannah Wadington did great this season, she killed the last two episodes. 

Edited by dbunting
Credit to Hannah

If it was a true finale and we’re completely done with all of the characters, I’m satisfied.   Last night brought a lot of emotion to my girls and I as this was we had been doing a rewatch with my wife immediately prior to her death.  With that in mind, the final musical choice was both genius and devastating. We’ll need to watch that bit again but muted to be able to see what was happening. 

I'm with the guardian - maudlin ending, insufferably, cheap in a lot of ways, both narratively and emotionally.

Spoiler

The most honestly-earned emotional arc of the show was Ted actually accepting the end of his marriage in Season 1, and they threw that out. The rest was just pretty blah and I honestly found some unwatachable. The Diamond Dogs are awful now. The believe sign is awful now. The singing team was awful now. It was also bizarre that Coach would even have to get as far as the plane before realizing he's not leaving a serious relationship and a job to hang with Ted. It never occurred to me that Beard was somehow expected to go with Ted as the default position. Like yes, it's a close friendship and apparently professional partnership, but, um, they're both adults and not actually attached at the hip. It's not really been a plot arc that they have level of co-dependence where it needs to be overcome.

Also, there are direct London-Kansas City flights in this world?