Star Trek: Attack of Shatner's Toupee Tribble

Werthead

3 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

Interconnecting this with earlier Temporal (Cold) War plots is only reasonable. They could either go with establishing a new status quo for the Eugenics Wars - like a war in the mid-21st century before the first contact with the Vulcans, aka 'World War III'.

Is...is Strange New Worlds directly referencing Star Trek: Enterprise?!

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Is...is Strange New Worlds directly referencing Star Trek: Enterprise?!

Why would that be bad? It's most of Picard's first two seasons we don't need/want to acknowledge along with anything Abrahams did that un any way connects to the Prime Universe...

22 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Why would that be bad? It's most of Picard's first two seasons we don't need/want to acknowledge along with anything Abrahams did that un any way connects to the Prime Universe...

I...never suggested it was bad? I was tenuously excited, as I loved Enterprise and didn't want to get my hopes up. (I've not watched SNW yet.)

I thought that this episode was OK. Not a fan of time travel in general and the time war in particular, and while 3Kirk did somewhat improve, I still maintain that he was miscast. I also didn't like La'an

Spoiler

becoming yet another of Kirk's conquests*. And generally I am tired of constant attempts to make emotionally restrained people become EMOTIONAL! Because the showrunners can't think of ways to make them relateable otherwise, I guess? I mean, it is a long-standing tradition both in Trek and in SF in general of course, but eh. Beyond that, was the gun that La'an left in little Khan's room(!) a literal "Chekov's gun"?:rolleyes:. Oh, and the usual ST silliness of her palmprint being recognized, even though she is several generations removed _and_ Khan himself can't come and go as he pleases either!

*So what does this mean for the alternative future in season 1 finale, where she was his first officer?

Regarding the previous episode, IMHO the "legal" arguments in it actually make much more sense than those in "The Measure of a Man", where most of Riker's were just complete humbug.

1 hour ago, Maia said:

Regarding the previous episode, IMHO the "legal" arguments in it actually make much more sense than those in "The Measure of a Man", where most of Riker's were just complete humbug.

Neither Riker nor Picard are lawyers.  Neither of their arguments were legal. Both arguments were essentially emotional without reference to Federation or StarFleet statutes or regulations.  

At least SNW (all be it at a very weird point in the proceedings procedurally) made specific reference to an existing Statute/Regulation for how it saved its character from legal sanction.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

9 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I missed the Princess Bride nod… what was it?

Come to think of it, it wasnt a nod, more like a similarity or parallel - meeting some random person in a side journey on your quest who helps you in an important way for the plot to reach its resolution.

6 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Come to think of it, it wasnt a nod, more like a similarity or parallel - meeting some random person in a side journey on your quest who helps you in an important way for the plot to reach its resolution.

The NPC… big help?

48 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Neither Riker nor Picard are lawyers.  Neither of their arguments were legal. Both arguments were essentially emotional without reference to Federation or StarFleet statutes or regulations. 

And even so, Riker's arguments were nonsense. Super-human strength and an option of deactivation were somehow compelling evidence for Data being non-sentient equipment? Like you couldn't have both with sapient humanoids in ST? Deactivation = coma or stasis. "The Measure of a Man" was a good, thought-provoking episode, but people seem to put it on a pedestal that it doesn't deserve.

19 hours ago, Maia said:

And even so, Riker's arguments were nonsense. Super-human strength and an option of deactivation were somehow compelling evidence for Data being non-sentient equipment? Like you couldn't have both with sapient humanoids in ST? Deactivation = coma or stasis. "The Measure of a Man" was a good, thought-provoking episode, but people seem to put it on a pedestal that it doesn't deserve.

Name a sentient being you can permanently shut off… until you turn it back on.  As I said before both arguments are appeals to emotion because neither Riker nor Picard were lawyers.

Therefore, Riker’s appeal was effective for its purpose even if you found it unconvincing.  Hell, at start of his argument Picard pointed out that we are biological machines… pointing out the very complaint you make about Riker’s argument.  Regardless… Riker… not being a lawyer didn’t do badly… particularly in point out Data’s… nature as a mechanism.

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

On 6/30/2023 at 9:05 PM, IheartIheartTesla said:

Meh, it appears like I was the only one who did not rate this episode. I mean, dont get me wrong, there were pieces in it that were nice, and the chemistry between Wesley and Chong was there, but I didnt think it landed.

Part of my issue with it is that it was another low budget episode without and pew-pew lasers (and you know, they film in Toronto so it was a bit lazy to just take the cameras outside rather than inside). Further, there have been too many episodes across various iterations of ST when our intrepid crewmembers return to contemporary North American Earth, and this episode didnt break new ground. My worry is that they are slowly losing momentum this season, but I hope Episode 4 is a return to form.

I was *thrilled* to see La’an and Kirk wandering around Yonge-Dundas Square, shoplifting from the Roots in the Eaton Centre, and then walking all the way down to Harbourfront to get hot dogs and win some colourful CDN$ cash with, um, high stakes chess. Also I’m pretty sure that secret lab is in the CS building at UofT. Also lampshading the “Toronto standing in for New York in movies and TV” trope directly with Kirk’s “appears to be NYC” comment. Evidently in this not-too-distant future, Ryerson reverted to its old name or TMU never bothered to change the sign (definitely the latter). 

All that aside, I enjoyed the character moments in the episode. La’an is probably my fav at this point other than Pike. 

I've always assumed that the reason Starfleet is based in San Francisco is because the other options 20th/21st century people might choose ahead of SF were destroyed/heavily damaged in WW3. So if you're not a historian of the era, it's no surprise a 23rd century person wouldn't recognise which 21st century city they're in.

I liked it. Classic Trek premise, some good performances. It was a little odd how they almost mocked that Ortega hadn’t had an episode, teeing her up for one and then disappointing her. But then it circled back to … sort of being an Ortega episode? But I don’t think it counts.

It’s only a little thing, but I love how they don’t fall for annoying tropes; La’an would absolutely have hidden that first instance of tinnitus back in the 90s and brushed it off. It shouldn’t be so refreshing to have someone say “excuse me, I just had some memory loss and I should really go to sick bay”.

For those who would want to aid Prodigy (producers, crew, cast and audience): you can sign this petition https://www.change.org/p/save-star-trek-prodigy and/or suggest the show to Netflix here: https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest (a Netflix account is not necessary).

Since CBS/Paramount is attempting to sell the show to another broadcaster and season 2 is still being finished (so funding hasn't stopped completely), it is possible that Netflix, Amazon or another party could pick up the show and at least broadcast/stream season 2. Otherwise, it might be buried because of the tax write-offs.

A bluray boxset for the first 10 episodes of season 1 exists also (only in north America, but this blu-ray is region free) and its selling figures are no doubt monitored by interested parties.

Edited by Wouter

It was a solid episode of SNW this week. Not earth shattering, but solid. And that they twisted and turned around a number of old Trek stories...and made it their own was just great. That the basic story set up was taken from a line or two from the original TOS pilot is also a nice touch.

Another solid episode. One thing I'll say about SNW is its never a slog to go through episodes, even though I may have minor quibbles.

This particular episode was primarily drawn from a TOS episode (Cage) with elements of a TNG one (Conundrum) thrown in. I do realize I miss some of the talky aspects of TNG though, where the crew sits in front of a futuristic whiteboard and brainstorms.