MCU - Hawkeye v Snowcat

BigFatCoward

1 hour ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I keep hearing that Secret Invasion isn’t doing well. It’s hard to judge with streaming, but assuming this is true, does this make Emilia the unluckiest actress alive or the luckiest? On the one hand, she’s now been in three high-profile flops in a row (Terminator, Star Wars, Marvel), but on the other hand, she still keeps landing these huge roles despite the one before flopping.

Mostly it’s just confusing that she takes these action roles, probably because she’s been pigeon holed into that after GoT. It’s unfortunate for her because she’s not that. She’s this small sweet little English girl who’s much better suited to rom coms and daytime tv. I guess she’ll take whatever is given to her but it certainly doesn’t suit her.

On 7/13/2023 at 7:09 AM, JGP said:

re: Rhodey

Hide contents

Yeah, physiology indicated so-- but the glaring indicator for those who missed the features was the towel pulled up to the pits. :p

Thats...actually pretty iron clad as far as the language of 'cinema' goes lol, good point.

Once again really enjoying the scenes where the actors get to work and not so much the action scenes.

Spoiler

Mendelson is my favourite thing in it, so really not a fan of losing him.

On 7/16/2023 at 4:13 AM, Heartofice said:

Mostly it’s just confusing that she takes these action roles, probably because she’s been pigeon holed into that after GoT. It’s unfortunate for her because she’s not that. She’s this small sweet little English girl who’s much better suited to rom coms and daytime tv. I guess she’ll take whatever is given to her but it certainly doesn’t suit her.

I think the action roles are probably the ones she wants. They pay better and have wider reach, so they’re more likely to lead to other high-paying roles. But I agree that she’s more suited for comedies/intimate dramas. She’s much better at playing emotional characters than stoic ones. 

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

the Trailer for Clarke's new film looks more like the sort of thing i expect to suit her.  However i can't believe she is 36, how did that happen?

I think she’ll probably return to TV eventually, and that’s fine. TV doesn’t have the stigma for actors that it used to. Just look at Alexander Skarsgard, who wasn’t able to make the transition to movies, but ended up racking up Emmy nominations once he returned to TV. 

Emilia looks great, but she is definitely older now, and it’s pretty strange to see. I remember seeing photos of her on set in Meereen for her 30th birthday.

20 hours ago, karaddin said:

Hide contents

Mendelson is my favourite thing in it, so really not a fan of losing him.

I've yet to see anything Mendelsohn didn't eclipse everyone around. Hard agree.

Edited by JGP

24 minutes ago, JGP said:

I've yet to see anything Mendelsohn didn't eclipse everyone around. Hard agree.

It's also always nice to have an Aussie accent around lol, even if it's not quite his natural accent as Talos.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

I DIDN'T REALISE HE WAS AUSTRALIAN. 

WHAT.

I just tried looking through his imdb and I honestly have no idea what I know him from, I've known him as Australian as long as I can remember knowing of him as an actor. Probably just randomly from all the small parts in various shows.

He was in Police Rescue and Flying Doctors! Just guest roles but that's the era of Australian tv that's pre my memory even really being set lol, easy to pick up and recall actors from stuff like that without remembering the details

Edited by karaddin

I first saw him in Animal Kingdom which a  really good movie. 

He’s generally great but I don’t like his Aussieness in Secret Invasion. There is something just off about that accent in what is meant to a tense Cold War style thriller.

At any moment he sounds  like he’s gonna break tension by putting another couple of shrimps on the Barbie and opening a couple of tinnies. 

Edited by Heartofice

Oddly enough that reaction isn't going to trigger for someone used to Australian accents haha. Understandable that it would for some though, I often find them quite dissonant/unexpected in the middle of US/UK accents, there's just something about Ben's that feels OK still.

6 hours ago, karaddin said:

He was in Police Rescue and Flying Doctors! Just guest roles but that's the era of Australian tv that's pre my memory even really being set lol, easy to pick up and recall actors from stuff like that without remembering the details

I only knew him from Rogue One, where he was fucking magnificent

5 hours ago, karaddin said:

Oddly enough that reaction isn't going to trigger for someone used to Australian accents haha. Understandable that it would for some though, I often find them quite dissonant/unexpected in the middle of US/UK accents, there's just something about Ben's that feels OK still.

Accents have a lot of baggage, an Aussie accent just doesn't seem to fit a tense thriller, which I guess is why they almost entirely absent from them. 

12 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Accents have a lot of baggage, an Aussie accent just doesn't seem to fit a tense thriller, which I guess is why they almost entirely absent from them. 

I suppose it also depends on the intensity of the accent, or how strong it is? Like, there are some accents I've heard since moving here that I don't register as Stereotypical Australian, as they've got an almost...mid-Atlantic accent, but with some local accentuations, but slightly more non-rhotic in enunciation. 

Which is quite different from the 'ocker' "g'day mate, 'ow ya goin'?" accent that is more commonly associated with rural locations or lower socioeconomic levels of upbringing. (Or what some friends refer to as the, uh, "strine" accent, which I think @karaddin could probably explain better, having - as far as I know - grown up here.)

14 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

There's also somewhat of an expectation that any accent other than American and (depending on context and genre) British needs to have a character explanation for it. Given everyone looking to make it in acting can do the American accent anyway that's normally what they'll do, unless they want to provoke something with the accent (which I assume was the case with Talos in Captain Marvel - Australian is alien lol) so there's multiple factors and self reinforcing.

2 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

I suppose it also depends on the intensity of the accent, or how strong it is? Like, there are some accents I've heard since moving here that I don't register as Stereotypical Australian, as they've got an almost...mid-Atlantic accent, but with some local accentuations, but slightly more non-rhotic in enunciation. 

Which is quite different from the 'ocker' "g'day mate, 'ow ya goin'?" accent that is more commonly associated with rural locations or lower socioeconomic levels of upbringing. (Or what some friends refer to as the, uh, "strine" accent, which I think @karaddin could probably explain better, having - as far as I know - grown up here.)

Yeah the accents are, for the most part, much more socioeconomic based than geographical. A strong ocker accent from a working class area in Sydney doesn't have much difference from one in Melbourne or Brisbane, ditto for the milder one that's a lot closer to some of the British accents that you're getting from more affluent or pretentious areas of the cities/states.

Then there's code switching to take into account as well, I sound a lot more "Aussie" when I'm around my brothers than I do when I'm overseas, when I'm in Sweden for example I get people thinking I'm English more than Australian.

I think Ben has done something with his accent I can't put my finger on in this, most of it is the milder accent but he's really broadened his vowels (which is probably the most distinctive part of the ocker accent) so it's got a weird edge to it. It comes across to me as affecting a more casual/friendly air that really goes with the philosophy Talos espoused in the conversation with G'iah - making himself as non threatening and accommodating as he can, so I'm appreciating the thought he's putting into the performance. Even if that's going over the head of any non Australian lol.

39 minutes ago, karaddin said:

It comes across to me as affecting a more casual/friendly air that really goes with the philosophy Talos espoused in the conversation with G'iah - making himself as non threatening and accommodating as he can, so I'm appreciating the thought he's putting into the performance. Even if that's going over the head of any non Australian lol

Dirty foreigner here in 'straya that I am, I find that when someone puts on a broader, almost more working class accent, it's to alleviate any concerns that they might be, to use an Aussie term, "up themselves", and circumvent any hostilities around that, and thus make themselves appear more affable as a result.

This could, I grant you, be waaay off the mark. My accent is a flat, semi-rhotic west Bostonian accent, and I can't mimic any Aussie accents to save my life, so what the hell do I know? (My wife describes my attempts at an Australian accent as "Steve Irwin and Crocodile Dundee having ugly sex together.")

I liked the brief mutiny part. 

Spoiler

I'm glad that there are more Skrulls who see Gravik for what he is.

The part at the end with Fury gathering his items from the crypt was silly. One drawer would have sufficed. :P

10 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

I liked the brief mutiny part. 

Hide contents

I'm glad that there are more Skrulls who see Gravik for what he is.

The part at the end with Fury gathering his items from the crypt was silly. One drawer would have sufficed. :P

I'm enjoying this read as it spares me from having to watch what looks like a wildly uneven show. (I also don't have spoons for shows at the moment.) In your opinion, does it seem like this show is about anything? Like, do you get the sense, when watching it, that it has something to say, even so much as an opinion? On something? ANYthing?